Help (Re)building a wheel (Stories of the noob)

Dec 17, 2011
kanazawa
Part of the Noob Chronicles.

I've been meaning to write this post for about a week now, so here it goes...
Last week I managed to break a spoke on a rebuilt wheel that I laced myself. You can see the results below.

Now, I want to use the hub again (a shimano 105 5700) and lace a new wheel. I'll probably go with a mavic open pro rim this time.

Question time:
1) I have no idea what's the appropriate spoke length that I should use. How can I calculate this? Any pointers? This is a rear wheel, so please take into account the difference between driveside and non-driveside.
2) Where could I get these spokes and nipples? Any online shop that you happen to suggest?

Cheers, and thanks in advance.

tl;dr: how to calculate appropriate spoke length, where to get spokes and nipples.

jdd

Maximum Pace
Hardest Crash
Jul 26, 2008
Kanazawa
Marios,

I had some wheels that I was having problems with (a long story), and took them to Kaga.

I'm not sure who there did the work, but they rebuilt them and I haven't had a single issue since. (And it's been years, and they've been ridden and loaded a lot.)

Also, while you're a student and I work, and we probably have a different idea of what is "reasonable", it wasn't at all expensive.

Last edited:

FarEast

Maximum Pace
May 25, 2009
Yokohama
Another method is lacing the wheel yourself and then taking it to a shop to be trued, my LBS actually prefer me to do this as then they only have to throw the wheel in the jig and 30 minutes later I have a racing wheel.

Although I think this would only work with a LBS that you frequent on a regular basis - so I'd ask before doing it.

kiwisimon

Maximum Pace
Dec 14, 2006
Japan
I would contact @GSAstuto and ask him if he could in exchange for a couple of hours of menial labor have him run you through the process. You'll learn from a skilled technician and learn a heck of a lot more than you could in a book, failing that I like FE's idea do the measuring, lacing and then leave the most critical parts to the artists. Re the spoke tension meter, I don't think these are necessary for most folks, the rim is round at the get go so unless your a total clux and can't count rotations of a spoke wrench it's pretty hard top make it un-round. Hence the spoke tension should be near enough to the same. If the wheel is true and round then the rest looks after itself IMHO.

Dec 17, 2011
kanazawa
One more thing I want to ask is this: I've heard of Sapim and DT as reputable spoke makers, any other brand that I should consider using?

And what about single/double/triple(!) butted or aero spokes? Any distinct advantages/disadvantages regarding stretching/cushioning/durability? Please bear in mind that the wheel is mostly for casual riding and durability is the first requirement here, the wheel should comfortably be able to handle going on/off pavements. I feel a little bit ...uneasy with the slender double butted spokes, they look a bit flimsy to me, although I may be overreacting.

Cheers!

jdd

Maximum Pace
Hardest Crash
Jul 26, 2008
Kanazawa
Marios,

And another thought--can I give you (and your wheels) a ride to the Kaga shop? (>> I'll drive you there.) I'm not sure where I might meet you on the JAIST campus, but I'm sure I could get to the the front gate. I've got the coming few days kind of free, but then get busy/stretched at the weekend, since I'm traveling very early on the 2nd.