What's new

Rapha in Tokyo

leicaman

Maximum Pace
Sep 20, 2012
I've been wanting to get a Rapha jersey now for a while but I've not been too keen on ordering one from the Internet blindly as I know I'll get the wrong size. I noticed the other day that Rapha are opening a temporary shop in Tokyo for around 1 month from June 22nd. So if you are after some over priced, über cool cycling year and want to look like saibot then head on down (I'll post a link to the location later).

Disclaimer- OwenJames unfortunately Rapha gear won't make you über cool. You are past redemption ;)

One doesnt buy into coolness - it is the other way round; fashion houses are put on a waiting list and I endorse them when the whim takes me.

Not sure they'll have big sizes suitable for giants, but will be worth looking at.

OwenJames can you please endorse them so that shipping isn't 100% of the actual items?

Ah crap! I almost wish their gear didn't fit me so well… now, what can I sell...

Your soul? About all you have left...a kidney? Got any gold fillings?

I'm interested in having a look but I can't see the prices being much different from ordering from overseas. They had a stall at the Odaiba CX event and stuff was just lying about in plastic boxes with astronomical price tags on. Lots of people looking no one buying...they sold a few cycling caps.

Exactly how do I go about selling a kidney?

As long as the prices are the same as online and I could try something on before, I wouldn't mind skipping the shipping part. Don't really need it though… but…

On another note, Got my rapha bibs exhanged because of a defect, (got the new pair today) and I have to say they handled it really well. Took care of the pickup and everything so the customer support are top notch.

A chance to try before we buy. I have a feeling they'll sell out in a matter of hours. Japanese people do love their exclusives, as do most others, and cyclists in particular. Bring your brass knuckles and sharpen your nails it's battle shopping time in Tokyo.

As long as the prices are the same as online and I could try something on before, I wouldn't mind skipping the shipping part. Don't really need it though… but…

On another note, Got my rapha bibs exhanged because of a defect, (got the new pair today) and I have to say they handled it really well. Took care of the pickup and everything so the customer support are top notch.

Afraid I'm a Rapha convert too. They fit well, almost... too well (at least my wallet says so). I've heard good things about their customer service from others too, though not had to use it yet.

The bib shorts are awesome. If only I were fit/strong/cool enough to justify wearing them.

Why wouldn't they, things probably cost 1000Y to make, What's the tag price?

Who is Rapha? o_O

It's this one, right?

teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-raphael.jpg

Meanwhile at Champion System Thailand and China:

Thailand:
28896101514977945309851.jpg

60002710151497808945985.jpg

China:
45470101515559828509851.jpg

73440610151555978810985.jpg

Who cares where it's made?

It's all about how much the company pays for quality employees, facilities, practices, and of course materials, and not about where it's made.

Yep, let's be realistic here. When I've visited factories in south east Asia I've been told by management things like that workers there can produce better quality products than in the west, and notably women are apparently good at manufacturing "because of their small hands".

The real reason it's produced there is because those workers are willing to accept a much lower wage than workers in the UK. Companies want to maximise their profit and justify it in different ways, arguing that its good for the local economy, the quality control is excellent etc. that's all great until the average wage rises in that economy and then the company moves its manufacturing to somewhere cheaper.

A company charging so much for products *could* lower their expected profits, but that's not usual business.

FarEast looks very nice.

I'd be interested in learning more about the set up - could be interesting for some of my students too.

Yep, let's be realistic here. When I've visited factories in south east Asia I've been told by management things like that workers there can produce better quality products than in the west, and notably women are apparently good at manufacturing "because of their small hands".

The real reason it's produced there is because those workers are willing to accept a much lower wage than workers in the UK. Companies want to maximise their profit and justify it in different ways, arguing that its good for the local economy, the quality control is excellent etc. that's all great until the average wage rises in that economy and then the company moves its manufacturing to somewhere cheaper.

A company charging so much for products *could* lower their expected profits, but that's not usual business.
Agreed

FarEast looks very nice.

I'd be interested in learning more about the set up - could be interesting for some of my students too.

It's amazing and the many people that work there (mostly women) are very proud of thier jobs and the company they work for.

Here is some more information on the new factory Thailand, which is basically a copy of the Chinese Factory:

http://www.champ-sys.com.au/services/factory

Info on independant fabric testing and other information about the company:

http://www.champ-sys.com.au/services

Back
Top Bottom