Randy from North Carolina, USA

Oct 28, 2009
Edogawa-ku
Hi Everyone!

I am a 42 year-old guy originally from the foothills of North Carolina. I have been riding road bikes for fun and exercise since about 1994. I moved to Japan in 2001. My wife and I live near Chiba university, where we both work. Information on this forum is very helpful for cycling in a foreign country and a foreign culture. Thanks!

Oct 28, 2009
Edogawa-ku
Thanks, Phil. I have never been to the Tone River. I have made it to the Inba-numa Lake going through Yachiyo along the Hanamigawa River. It's not the shortest way (or smoothest), but the path is easy to follow. I struggle to find wide roads or roads with not much traffic. Most of my riding involve loops around Makuhari.

sakura

Cruising
May 15, 2009
Tokyo
Hello, Almost Tokyo!

I live on the farside of Edogawa-ku and usually head out in the direction of Tone River or make a loop out along the Hanami River and back through Makuhari. If I'm pressed for time I'll do an out and back along the Edogawa or to/from Kasairinkai Park.

I too struggle to find roads with the least congestion. Although it makes for a potentially complex ride I've tried my best to map out as many side streets as possible. Its amazing the scenery you will sometimes find by trying a backstreet along a major byway. I suppose this effort would help if I had a GPS. Maybe Santa will bring one for Christmas!

In any case, I'm laid up with Achilles tendonitis right now:cry: and I don't expect I'll be back on the bike until January.

Oct 28, 2009
Edogawa-ku
Hi sakura, Sorry to hear about your injury. As I get older, I feel more aches and pains, and they last longer, but I hope you're young and heal fast.

It sounds like you are doing great without a GPS, backstreets can be tricky and time consuming, but I certainly wouldn't turn down a Garmin.

It just so happens that I will be moving to Edogawa in a month or two and need to find new circles to ride.