What's new

Ride Randonneuring in Japan

Let's do it...wife permission pending!

Ditto
We're doing Karl's route, right? Looks pretty good if I don't have to navigate. Simpleton like me likes riding straight roads without any options.... works for rindos too.

I'll come to the starting point and drop off @ 178 km marker. Hopefully this will complete 200K. So..... how early are we starting & will we stop for coffee.......often? :p

@Karl can you share strava route for this? (downloaded GPX file from RWGPS not working)

I'd like to get an early start so we have as much daylight to play with as possible and don't have to worry about using lights too much. So, something like 6 or 6:30 at the start point? (Which would mean an early wake up for you Gok....:() It's 20 -25 minutes from there to Tsurukawa station.

I'd like to get an early start so we have as much daylight to play with as possible and don't have to worry about using lights too much. So, something like 6 or 6:30 at the start point? (Which would mean an early wake up for you Gok....:() It's 20 -25 minutes from there to Tsurukawa station.

That's alright. Earlier, the better. And from the looks of @Kangaeroo 's outrageous commute times.... we can presume he'd be ok as well. :p

Good. We're set then as long as the weather cooperates.

I worry that with all the miles Kangaeroo puts in, he's gonna win the podium. A sleeper?

Yes, have the better half's permission, so I'm in. A friend may accompany us, too, if that's all right. He reckons TCC stands for Tokyo Climbing Club, so he might be put off if we go too high.
No race from me (I can't race anyway). If we're on a bike, we all win, I believe.
Tsurukawa Station is fine for 6 or 6:30. It should be light at 6 by then, or at worst just a couple of minutes away from that.

@Kangaeroo and @Gok

"A friend may accompany us, too, if that's all right. He reckons TCC stands for Tokyo Climbing Club, so he might be put off if we go too high."

No problem with bringing along a friend. As for climbing, there is a bit towards the start, but very flat once we pass Aikawa. Your friend can have a look at the elevation profile on the route and decide for himself.

Also, most all of the route is on paved roads except for a couple sections of gravel, one of which is about 2 km. I've ridden it with my Gatorskins (700x25) and never had a problem. But if you have racing tires on, might want to swap them out for something that can deal with a bit of gravel.

I would love to join the ride, but this week I am too tired to wake up at 4 am on a Saturday. I will join you another time.

On another note, I am considering attending to my first 200k randonneurs in April (link: 2019 BRM413東京200 金太郎). The ride is organized by an Audax club in Tokyo and starts near Kawasaki station. It will take place during daylight and go thought some scenic (flat) roads. It is my first time attending this kind of event, so I would be very happy if anyone of you wants to join it as well.

Good one! Cheap Conti Ultra sport for everything.... till they die!

I've moved on to Gatorskin 700x28. Thing is, I still have two sets of 700x23s hanging around. They just don't wear out.

@Gok and @Kangaeroo Long range forecast has rain on the 21st. With such changeable weather in March, if that forecast holds, maybe we should have a rain date. I'm proposing Sunday the 24th. I prefer Sunday to avoid the truck traffic.

Thanks @Karl
No worries if weather thwarts us. I'm out for the weekend of 23-24, though. But if this ride doesn't come through this time, I am very keen on going together. If I could read maps, I would love to get into tiling.

I went on a test ride to check out the only part of the route that I hadn't ridden...from Takao down 47 to 413. Didn't like it much. Narrow road, no shoulder, trucks, .....blech! So, I'd like to change the route for the Equinox ride to this.... https://www.strava.com/routes/17455143 If the route is OK with you all, then Kangeroo, you may want to meet somewhere closer to the start point, vs Tsurugawa station.

Forecast still says rain on the 21st, but temps up to 20 C. If the forecast remains the same, will cancel a couple days in advance.

One more rider may join us. He's from the Sakaigawa Saddles club. Strong rider and does some huge rides.

Might be best if we were up on LINE so we can keep in touch on the day of the ride. I'll PM you my Line ID. If you don't mind, could you send me yours?

Finally, looking at @Kangaeroo and @Gok avg kph, beginning to worry my pace will be far to slow for you all. Should that be the case, I won't mind if you plow on ahead at any point. If you don't have Maps.me on your phone, I really recommend it. You can add an overlay of the route onto the map and follow the route that way. I like it so much I've put off buying a Garmin Edge Explore. So, if you think you might want to up the pace and go on ahead, if you have the route on your phone, the route should be pretty easy to follow. Most likely the only tricky part would be the first 60 km. The rest pretty much follows cycle paths.

Karl said:
So, I'd like to change the route for the Equinox ride to this.... https://www.strava.com/routes/17455143 If the route is OK with you all, then Kangeroo, you may want to meet somewhere closer to the start point, vs Tsurugawa station.
Of course, the route change is fine.
I'm happy to start wherever is close to you.

Karl said:
Forecast still says rain on the 21st, but temps up to 20 C. If the forecast remains the same, will cancel a couple days in advance.
Sounds good

Karl said:
One more rider may join us. He's from the Sakaigawa Saddles club. Strong rider and does some huge rides.
Most excellent! I am also hoping another friend will join us, but have yet to confirm

Karl said:
Finally, looking at @Kangaeroo and @Gok avg kph, beginning to worry my pace will be far to slow for you all. Should that be the case, I won't mind if you plow on ahead at any point. If you don't have Maps.me on your phone, I really recommend it. You can add an overlay of the route onto the map and follow the route that way. I like it so much I've put off buying a Garmin Edge Explore. So, if you think you might want to up the pace and go on ahead, if you have the route on your phone, the route should be pretty easy to follow. Most likely the only tricky part would be the first 60 km. The rest pretty much follows cycle paths.
In my case, I think my average speed is over-inflated and I would much prefer a sedate speed, particularly over such a long distance. I have an almost total inability to read maps, other than to see just enough to get lost (when I was guiding, people in my group started calling me "Wrongway!"), so I would much prefer to stick together if that's not a problem.

Thanks for doing all this work, @Karl This is gonna be an awesome ride whenever we get to do it!

Ditto as @Wrongway..... I mean @Kangaeroo .

Route change is no problem. Plenty of times I don't have a route planned at all as I head out the door!

Average speed is a non-issue. The whole point is riding (suffering) together. Let's hope the forecast clears up.

Back
Top Bottom