What's new

Rain Gloves....?

StuInTokyo

Maximum Pace
Dec 3, 2010
OK, today in the hail and rain I got to test out my new rain shoe covers and rain pants, both worked well, warm and dry for my ride to the hospital and back. The only problem I had was that my winter gloves got soaked and my fingers were like meat Popsicles by the time I got home :rolleyes:

Does anyone have a good set of rain gloves that they can recommend? I think I'll stash a set of rubber surgical gloves in my tail pack, as these can go on under the regular gloves and can help to keep the meat Popcicles at bay.... :)

Cheers!

OK, today in the hail and rain I got to test out my new rain shoe covers and rain pants, both worked well, warm and dry for my ride to the hospital and back. The only problem I had was that my winter gloves got soaked and my fingers were like meat Popsicles by the time I got home :rolleyes:

Does anyone have a good set of rain gloves that they can recommend? I think I'll stash a set of rubber surgical gloves in my tail pack, as these can go on under the regular gloves and can help to keep the meat Popcicles at bay.... :)

Cheers!

Ski gloves or put on some thin rubber gloves underneath...can get cheap rubber gloves in the home center.

If you're not particular, check your local home center. I've got a couple pair of totally waterproof things typically used for gardening or outdoor work. Sometimes I pull weeds with them, sometimes wash the car with them--extremely durable and waterproof.

And cheap.

Only problem is that even XXL is not too big, and you can't get anything on underneath them.

But they will keep you dry, and one version does have a thin liner, a little fuzz on the inside that does work a little bit.

Also, they are thin, and not bulky like ski gloves, so shifting should be okay.

Got these from Wiggle. Not only are they waterproof, they also feature thin liner gloves that do keep your fingers warm in any downpour. Wish I had ordered them one size larger though.

Ski gloves or put on some thin rubber gloves underneath...can get cheap rubber gloves in the home center.

Yeah, that was my first thought, I have a box of rubber glove in my workshop for when I'm painting etc, I will put a few of those in my pack for sure.

If you're not particular, check your local home center. I've got a couple pair of totally waterproof things typically used for gardening or outdoor work. Sometimes I pull weeds with them, sometimes wash the car with them--extremely durable and waterproof.

And cheap.

Only problem is that even XXL is not too big, and you can't get anything on underneath them.

But they will keep you dry, and one version does have a thin liner, a little fuzz on the inside that does work a little bit.

Also, they are thin, and not bulky like ski gloves, so shifting should be okay.

I'm not particular :D

I know what you mean about sizing, I use work gloves for various things and I'm always just barely fitting into the XXL size, and trust me, I don't have large hands.According to the sizing charts I see at Wiggle, my hands would be medium, that is about 22cm around the knuckles not including the thumb.

Got these from Wiggle. Not only are they waterproof, they also feature thin liner gloves that do keep your fingers warm in any downpour. Wish I had ordered them one size larger though.

Those look great! What size did you get? According to their sizing charts, I'd be a medium.....? I have a 22cm measurement around my knuckles, not including my thumb.

Cheers!

Well overpriced but they were a present so I'm not complaining.

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/spoke-seya/kws_pi_83/

Pearl Izumi Rain Glove 83

They're very good. Breathable and not too hot but completely keep out the wind and rain. Elasticated wrist keeps drips from running in without suffocating my hands.

But I also keep several pairs of nitrile examination gloves around - for water/wind-proofing, repairs on other people's filthy bikes, or emergency first aid. Can't be too careful, and they take up zero space.

Boxes of 100 at the local home center, either nitrile or latex. Nitrile are a bit thicker & more durable, and cost a tad more. Latex are more form-fitting.

Boxes of 100 at the local home center, either nitrile or latex. Nitrile are a bit thicker & more durable, and cost a tad more. Latex are more form-fitting.
Exactly.

Not a few folks have or develop an allergy to latex. Or nitrile. Or vinyl. Or the powder in either type if powder is used. But these problems usually affect healthcare workers or assembly line workers who use such gloves all day every day. YMMV

Just as a local example http://item.rakuten.co.jp/shimiz-bm/881651/

I actually use these http://stjohnsupplies.co.uk/products/default.asp?productId=F12635

--Mike--

I've taken Thomas's advice and ordered those gloves, in yellow too!

Today on the ride too and from the hospital for my treatment, my fingers froze even with the thin rubber gloves under my winter gloves. The winter gloves just suck up too much water.

Hoping for some dry, warm hands on the next rain ride!

I also found out that if you DON'T put that seal thing that comes with your Shimano shoes over the unused two holes in the bottoms of your shoes that your feet will get with even with good rain covers on your shoes.... :rolleyes: Fixed that this morning before the ride, and my feet were dry and warm :D

Which size did you order?

Large, according to their sizing chart, taking a measurement around your knuckles, excluding you thumb I came up with 22cm, they say large is 2111cm to 25cm so I'm on the bottom end of "Large". If I was say at 20, which is, according to their chart a Medium, I think I'd be taking the next size up. For rain gloves, I'd not want them to be a touch too small.

Back
Top Bottom