What's new

RAAM 2013

joewein

Maximum Pace
Oct 25, 2011
Race Across America 2013 started on Tuesday. Athletes will race about 4,800 km with 50,000 m of climbing, with the winner in the Solo category expected to cross from California to Maryland in a little over 8 days. People typically ride 22 hours a day, making do with very little sleep to cover 30% more distance than the TdF in about half the time of the Tour. Only about half the solo riders make it to the destination.

Amazingly for an event staged in the US, the vast majority of the fastest participants are from Europe. The most likely contenders for the title all hail from alpine countries such as Austria, Switzerland and Slovenia (though I am sorry to say, I did not spot our friend Franz in the list... ;)). It has been 10 years since the last winner who wasn't from any of these three countries.

>> RAAM live tracker <<

A friend of mine raced the team event last year - pretty crazy stuff.

I guess I could do the google thing, but stories & anything personal/specific would be appreciated.

I guess I could do the google thing, but stories & anything personal/specific would be appreciated.
Competitor 464, Welshman Meurig ("MY-rig") James, is currently in 15th place. He's a friend of several of my colleagues.

Two years ago he was the victim of an SUV hit-and-run in Philadelphia.

The car made no attempt to slow down and struck James on his right side, then accelerated and drove away. His bike was crushed under the vehicle, while James was thrown 20 feet in the air "like a rag doll." Luckily he landed on a patch of grass bordering the road, and amazingly he didn't hit his head. In fact, there wasn't a nick on his helmet. Still, the damage was significant - a broken clavicle, fractured ribs, two fractured vertebrae, shattered kneecaps and left ankle, pulmonary contusions, and abdominal bleeding. (read on)

Participating in RAAM, he's raising money for Bikes Belong and Cancer Support Community. Here's his web site and Facebook page already.

Amazingly for an event staged in the US, the vast majority of the fastest participants are from Europe.
Joe if it has continuous action more than a minute long and no time outs for commercials it's not going to be popular in the US. Short attention span syndrome

I think we would all be happy to be as 'genki' as Dan at age 80+. For a 4 person relay to finish RAAM in 9 days, 11 hours they must each have cycled about 130 km a day for 9 1/2 days, which is pretty impressive at their age. I wonder what percentage of 80 year olds still ride a bicycle at all.

Christoph Strasser from Austria won the men's solo, finishing in 7 days, 22 hours and 52 minutes.

This is the first sub-8 days finishing time ever and at 25.2 km/h the fastest average speed ever.

Christoph Strasser from Austria won the men's solo, finishing in 7 days, 22 hours and 52 minutes.

This is the first sub-8 days finishing time ever and at 25.2 km/h the fastest average speed ever.

Are they drug tested?

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Back
Top Bottom