R70 area route advice

Karl

Maximum Pace
Feb 7, 2011
Yokohama
I am contemplating a ride off of R70 between Miyagase and Yabitsu. If anyone has ridden or walked the section outlined in the yellow box, could you tell me what that's like? Is this mostly a hiking trail or is some or most of it bike-able? Any input would be appreciated.

May 22, 2007
Kawasaki
halffastcycling.com
I've researched something similar - perhaps for similar reasons. At each end of that leg it seems to be 3.5 - 4 km of gravel road, then 8 km of proper hiking trail in-between.

Hiking map indicates how long you might expect to walk on each leg.

Photo indicates terrain you might expect to encounter on the ridge. Getting up there will probably be rougher.

Karl

Maximum Pace
Feb 7, 2011
Yokohama
Ha! I should have known. You're like Kilroy.;)

Thanks for the info. Looks like you and I have a nearly identical ride planned out. I'm planning to give it a go, possibly this Sunday.

Karl

Maximum Pace
Feb 7, 2011
Yokohama
Good luck if you do. I need hiking poles for that much walking; not compatible with lugging a bike. I would also need to carry about 5L of water, too, in this weather.
I chickened out. After reading that parts of the trail can be crowded with hikers, and that some of it has chains for hikers to hold on to, sounds like the better part of valor to not try and lug my bike over the trail (as you said). Sounds like a bad move. So... I'll just enjoy Yabitsu again and do a bit of exploring.

Karl

Maximum Pace
Feb 7, 2011
Yokohama
Thanks for the heads up. That's a bummer. Guess I'll have to head up to Takao area for a while.

(Looking at the flyby, looks like a couple people made it through somehow.)