What's new

Questions about cyclewear

No, that's not really a thing, and cycling clothes cannot be altered the way usual shirts can be altered. In many places, they use laser welding (not sure whether this is the proper term in English) and the like to affix two pieces of cloth (plastic) to one another.

Cycling clothing has to fit properly when you buy it. Just like with other clothing, some manufacturers have different fits, so especially with tight-fitting clothes ("race fit") you need to look at the measurement charts and verify that they actually do fit you. Hence, my comment that Asian fit cycling clothes is likely not a good fit for non-Asians. By the way, the same is true for glasses, some manufacturers have Asian fit frames (as well as they should!), so be aware of that when you buy.
don't bother, just 1) put up with a little extra length 2) buy shorter and use the glove cuff to cover exposed areas 3) buy the correct length. On the bike you don't lift your arms over your shoulder height, so lifting your arms up to check length has no relevance to cyclewear. Cycle sleeves will be shorter than your regular wardrobe.
Guessing here, but a fairly simple alteration like sleeve length is probably going to depend on the material. Some of the hi-tech lycra type materials may be laser cut and come out badly if cut with scissors. In terms of pure skill though, Japanese alteration services will be very good. If you know someone really good, it can be better to buy a cheap dress shirt from say Uniqlo and get it (radically) altered than to buy a 10,000 to 15,000 shirt off the peg. I think it was on NHK World, but I've seen examples of people doing this.

As Simon says, dedicated cycling gear is supposed to fit in riding position. "Snug" in riding position may be uncomfortably tight when off the bike, etc.

I see, the problem I had was that for the S size it fits my body well with a little more allowance but the sleeves can cover up to my finger tips. As for XS the fit was body tight without allowance with a base layer but the sleeve is much more bearable. I'm just afraid in the case that I gain a little weight and the XS will be out completely.

Both feel great in riding position though the sleeve on the S is so long it can flap (And the cloth around chest and stomach part with raise up)

It is this exact jersey:

Looking at the material, there is wind block and insulating material stitched to the front part of the body and arm which is why I'm not very sure can the local alteration do it. (Even though I googled and seems like some cyclist just alter it normally)

Material wise I'm not sure how do Rapha weld them together:
Main body:
  • 89% merino wool
  • 11% nylon
One more thing: in your situation I strongly advise against buying shoes online — unless you know your exact fit and size. Some shoe manufacturers have a narrower fit than others, some shoes are more or less rigid than others.

Will definitely try and buy it in person! Thank you for the advice!

Cyclewear stitching is (almost) always stretchy. So 'normal' for cycling, but quite different from a hem, cuff, placket, etc.

Many sewing machines can do those kinds of stitches, but it's a different kind of ball game.

I see, the problem I had was that for the S size it fits my body well with a little more allowance but the sleeves can cover up to my finger tips. As for XS the fit was body tight without allowance with a base layer but the sleeve is much more bearable. I'm just afraid in the case that I gain a little weight and the XS will be out completely.

Both feel great in riding position though the sleeve on the S is so long it can flap (And the cloth around chest and stomach part with raise up)
What counts is the fit in riding position. So if the sleeves are a tad too long standing straight, then that might actually be a good thing. For long-sleeved clothes, you want a generous overlap between your gloves and your jersey or jacket.
Looking at the material, there is wind block and insulating material stitched to the front part of the body and arm which is why I'm not very sure can the local alteration do it. (Even though I googled and seems like some cyclist just alter it normally)
Again, I would not suggest to have cycle clothing altered. Even if stitching is used, cycle clothing is not cut to the same fit as regular clothing and uses stretchy fabrics. Unless the shop you are giving it to has experience with that (and very few do), I just wouldn't, sell the clothes and buy something else. Plus, it'll cost quite a bit.

It is this exact jersey:
That is a top layer so even in correct sizes it should flap around. how far down your hand does it come? If it is not stupendously long it should be good.

You know the chest measurement you prefer so then find your preferred sleeve length. Measure the XS sleeve length in the Rapha if that is your perfect length.

At those prices you shouldn't have to do any DIY fixes. Not every style or model will have a perfect match Winter outer wear will usually flap a bit if you want to layer under it.

what are your chest and arm measurements?

Last edited:
I got some cycling wear changed/fixed. I still remember the struggle of that "skilled" person who said "No problem!"
Actually, it's easy enough with the right tools and knowledge (says that "skilled" person) though.
Anyway, did you ask at the Rapha shop, if they could adjust the sleeves?

For long-sleeved clothes, you want a generous overlap between your gloves and your jersey or jacket.

I have a 3-5 cm suntanned ring around my wrists, the gap between my gloves and my LS jersey because the sleeves tend to be too short for my rather long arms. So I definitely second that recommendation!

...saddle cream...

Available at most any chain drug store, very mild. I get this large size:
867340835.g_0-w_g.jpg

Got a little busy lately so didn't manage to follow up on the jersey but just managed to do so today!

I actually emailed rapha UK about altering the jersey and they say its totally fine as long as I get it done at a decent alteration service as it is a pretty basic stuff, but when I called rapha japan just now to ask about the situation of my order and at the same time about alteration, it seems that they don't provide alteration service directly.

Furthermore they said that although it is okay to alter the cloth as long as the alteration shop knows how to alter sports wear, but for some fabric if you alter it, it might lose some of its properties so they would avoid altering it. Which I find it's pretty weird because their advice is the opposite of what rapha UK gave and I gave them both the same product detail so I don't think they are mistaking anything.

I'll reiterate the most important part of your wearable gear is the chamois pad. You definitely want to pick up some saddle cream for the bits.

Had really good experience with the Pearl Izumi Mega Pad! But I sold it away as I'm changing to bib shorts, hopefully the new one is good!

867340835.g_0-w_g.jpg

I have this too for bruises and cuts! When do you apply saddle cream? After the ride and when you feel pain/bruise?

Had really good experience with the Pearl Izumi Mega Pad! But I sold it away as I'm changing to bib shorts, hopefully the new one is good!

I have this too for bruises and cuts! When do you apply saddle cream? After the ride and when you feel pain/bruise?

I have tried Pearl Izumi bib shorts but had some regular shorts about 20 years ago in the States and they were good, but I was younger and "wilder" then.

For the saddle cream you put it on before the ride. 25-40km probably not necessary but YMMV. 60km or above, definitely. Kind of depends on your individual anatomy, how you ride, how much sweat, and some other factors probably including how much you're out of the saddle on climbs or just taking in the view. Those are my rules of the thumb anyways. Be liberal, inside of thighs, the jewels, cheeks.

you put saddle cream on your body parts. It acts as a barrier so hopefully if you shower soon after that hot sweaty ride you won't get any infections. I use Oronine Ointment too but I thin it with coconut butter and add some tea tree essence. The butter softens up well with body heat, the tea tree and Oronine have medicinal properties and it smells nice. It also is natural and washes away well in the regular wash.

Re:Rapha, Japanese store is exercising an abundance of caution. Do you really need alterations? A few wrinlkes in winter outer wear is no problem.

you put saddle cream on your body parts. It acts as a barrier so hopefully if you shower soon after that hot sweaty ride you won't get any infections. I use Oronine Ointment too but I thin it with coconut butter and add some tea tree essence. The butter softens up well with body heat, the tea tree and Oronine have medicinal properties and it smells nice. It also is natural and washes away well in the regular wash.

Re:Rapha, Japanese store is exercising an abundance of caution. Do you really need alterations? A few wrinlkes in winter outer wear is no problem.

After reading everyone's input and also considering the potential effect to the jersey, I have decided to keep the XS instead of exchanging it for S and then going for alteration. As XS actually is more fitting both for body and sleeve length just that the the bottom is a little short (Will go above my shorts) if I lift my hands too high, as for S it is much roomier and I see normally cyclist will avoid that and opt for tighter fit, also the sleeves goes all the way to the end of my finger tip so if I dont alter it, it will flap like crazy even if I roll it upward. I guess I will just resign to fate and if I do gain weight I'm going to just use it as reason to try out other brands then!

Tried castelli yesterday, while I really like the design unfortunately the cut is either perfect at thigh but too short at torso or vice versa, or manageable at torso but too loose at thigh. Perfetto RoS is really cool jersey too! (But super expensive!)

867340835.g_0-w_g.jpg

Oronine is a really poor substitute for proper chamois cream (it's antibacterial and soothing but lacks lubricating/skin protecting qualities and is quickly absorbed), but I suspect if you blended it with Vasoline it would be decent. Vasoline, meanwhile, is protective and long-lasting, but isn't antibacterial and is not especially lubricating

I found a bib short that I like a lot and realized that the price on wiggle is around 10000jpy cheaper than buying at local store (Assos), but if I were to buy it online the local store will not accept the repair in case it's damaged during crash. Do everyone think the 10000jpy is worth for the repair warranty?
*If it's taxed then maybe around 8000jpy cheaper in the end

I found a bib short that I like a lot and realized that the price on wiggle is around 10000jpy cheaper than buying at local store (Assos), but if I were to buy it online the local store will not accept the repair in case it's damaged during crash. Do everyone think the 10000jpy is worth for the repair warranty?
*If it's taxed then maybe around 8000jpy cheaper in the end

IMHO, not worth it. 10,000 JPY cheaper is a good way there to another bib short pair. I've never had a tear in my (Castellis) even with a couple of falls I took in 2019. Assos is a great brand, btw. Probably my next pair.

Back
Top Bottom