What's new

Questions about cyclewear

Ratchet21

Speeding Up
Sep 7, 2020
@Ratchet21 , I had never realized how complex were the decisions needed to ride a bike till I read all your questions. I recommend a book:

View attachment 21181

Even better, skip the book and just ride. The thread "November 2020" awaits accounts of your adventures, great or small. Don't be shy! During these adventures, you could have been wearing jorts and a hoodie, for all anyone will care.

Absolutely! I actually ride 3x a week as exercise but so far haven't really rode anywhere really far or nice yet that is worth sharing here. Sorry, if you think my questions are getting overwhelming, because my funds are limited so I just wanted to make sure that I am not making any beginner mistake that could have been avoided or be able to make a better decision through what I learn here. That being said as I learn more stuff here I do ride too and am looking forward to ride more hopefully!

MattRyuu

Maximum Pace
Apr 23, 2019
You never need to apologize @Ratchet21. One thing I've found since joining this community is the only dumb questions are ones not asked. For example, @Half-Fast Mike , helped me a lot, so have @luka , @kiwisimon , @Kangaeroo , and the rest of the usual suspects here.

Ask people who are more experienced, its how you learn. And you clearly come prepared having already done basic research yourself.

microcord

Maximum Pace
Aug 28, 2012
@Ratchet21 , if your funds are limited, stop concerning yourself with this or that heavily advertised and promoted brand name. You're paying for the advertising and promotion, and the quality difference (if any) is unlikely to be important. And if you want to avoid a beginner's mistake in buying clothes, don't buy what you aren't sure is your size and can't try on for size. Was the most recent question about a winter jacket or windbreaker or similar? Remember that plenty of drivers are sleepy, "have half an eye on" (are looking at) their GPS toys, are engaged in family arguments, have dubious eyesight, are borderline senile, etc, so be conspicuous. This means: skip tasteful, subdued colours and get something bright. It's worth asking people in physical bike shops for advice: the last time I bought a winter jacket, I was in Y's Road (Shinjuku) and overwhelmed by the vast assortment (tasteful to hideous, palatable price to hilarious price, sizes "XS" to "XL" according to unspecified and wildly varying criteria) and asked which brands/ranges were likely to have something for me (by Japanese standards, medium circumference but long torso); I got a quick and helpful response and soon found something right for me.

Also, consider buying (and of course reading) Just Ride.

Also, consider buying (and of course reading) this book, also published in various translations. (NB the author did not do the illustration; don't blame him for the ridiculous front mudguard.)

weiss_manual.jpeg

Ratchet21

Speeding Up
Sep 7, 2020
You never need to apologize @Ratchet21. One thing I've found since joining this community is the only dumb questions are ones not asked. For example, @Half-Fast Mike , helped me a lot, so have @luka , @kiwisimon , @Kangaeroo , and the rest of the usual suspects here.

Ask people who are more experienced, its how you learn. And you clearly come prepared having already done basic research yourself.

Thank you! Enjoying my time here so far thanks to everyone's help!

@Ratchet21 , if your funds are limited, stop concerning yourself with this or that heavily advertised and promoted brand name. You're paying for the advertising and promotion, and the quality difference (if any) is unlikely to be important. And if you want to avoid a beginner's mistake in buying clothes, don't buy what you aren't sure is your size and can't try on for size. Was the most recent question about a winter jacket or windbreaker or similar? Remember that plenty of drivers are sleepy, "have half an eye on" (are looking at) their GPS toys, are engaged in family arguments, have dubious eyesight, are borderline senile, etc, so be conspicuous. This means: skip tasteful, subdued colours and get something bright. It's worth asking people in physical bike shops for advice: the last time I bought a winter jacket, I was in Y's Road (Shinjuku) and overwhelmed by the vast assortment (tasteful to hideous, palatable price to hilarious price, sizes "XS" to "XL" according to unspecified and wildly varying criteria) and asked which brands/ranges were likely to have something for me (by Japanese standards, medium circumference but long torso); I got a quick and helpful response and soon found something right for me.

Also, consider buying (and of course reading) Just Ride.

Also, consider buying (and of course reading) this book, also published in various translations. (NB the author did not do the illustration; don't blame him for the ridiculous front mudguard.)

View attachment 21184

Lol at the front mudguard.
Ya I get your point and i appreciate your point of view. I have actually been cycling regularly since I joined the forum and started asking questions, so it is kind of a progressive thing and no I didn't wait until I got all kits before I started cycling so I am enjoying cycling now too, in fact i'm going out to cycle today too. So if your worry is that I spent too much time browsing online shop instead of being on saddle then I think I'm fine!

As for brands and stuff, I actually started from cheap unbranded amazon and aliexpress stuff too until my shorts w pad start to move and tear and winter is coming soon too that's when I started to find better gear. I didn't start by choosing high end brand right away as what you have might have thought. I have also tried almost all brands that i found online and also by the recommendation of people here at nearby LBS & Ys Road Shibuya and Shinjuku actually and unfortunately so far the best fit without having either flapping or too short sleeves or extremely tight or loose waist/thigh gripper, etc on me was some of the more expensive brand, I would love to stick with PI if the fit actually fits me just fine as I love their shorts and friendlier pricing point. How I wish this is still summer so I can just go with my uniqlos to be very frank.

I do admit I have a lot of questions and worries because this is a new hobby that I am excited in but sometimes i cant find the answer online therefore I can only ask here or during next cycling gathering. In my previous hobby I wasted some amount of money that could have been avoided if I asked around more so I am trying to not repeat the mistake in cycling.

Again, I appreciate your concern and yes I'm looking forward to cycle more intensively once my shoulder gets better! Wishing everyone a good weekend! (keep cycling!)

Half-Fast Mike

Lanterne Rouge-et-vert
May 22, 2007
I've tried all sorts, including Assos bib shorts and tights. But I have been happy with Foska kit for most of my cyclewear over the last 15 years. It washes and wears well, comes in a good size for me (still XL I'm sad to say), and isn't too expensive to replace once it wears out. They have a nice range of colorful and/or humourous jersey and jacket designs, most of which have a British flavour that I like.

Sadly they don't have winter tights in stock at the moment - I'm in the market for a new pair of those.

SafariSnap 001.png

microcord

Maximum Pace
Aug 28, 2012
@Ratchet21, I wouldn't worry about a bit of flapping in the wind. You're not racing, and your cruising speed is (I'd guess) under 40 km/h. Go for comfort.

For me, Pearl Izumi is expensive. I bought one of their jerseys new, because it was moderately amusing; and I've bought several things by them used, for an average of perhaps 2000 yen.

The weather's getting colder. Don't give up on Uniqlo; quite the reverse. Don't make the mistake of getting a really comfy jacket for very low temperatures: just go for moderate warmth protection and vary the grade/number of Uniqlo that you wear beneath it.

For longish rides on the coldest days, I start off with Uniqlo's warmest grade of long-sleeved Heat-Tech undershirt, then their regular grade of short sleeved ditto (one size too big), then the jacket, then a very lightweight wind-breaker. I usually take off the wind-breaker by 8 or 9. If I'm too hot rather later, I also take off the short-sleeved undershirt.

Kangaeroo

Maximum Pace
Jan 24, 2018
@Ratchet21 , I had never realized how complex were the decisions needed to ride a bike till I read all your questions. I recommend a book:

View attachment 21181

Even better, skip the book and just ride. The thread "November 2020" awaits accounts of your adventures, great or small. Don't be shy! During these adventures, you could have been wearing jorts and a hoodie, for all anyone will care.
Also one of the best books I have read on cycling

Top Bottom