Questions about cyclewear

speedwobble

Scorpions - I can't get enough!
Jun 26, 2017
I've gone off black cycling kit myself. Here's my favourite video about viz, from back when Matt was on GCN

If you have dark gear, aside from bike lights of course, an easy solution is a fluro windproof jacket or gilet you put on as it starts getting dark. Like the Pakajak in my previous post. You should be able to get something with a non-flappy cycling cut for under 5000.
Fluro cycling socks are also about 300 yen a pair on Aliexpress. Since your feet move up and down, they are a good place for reflector bands and fluro. Stuff that moves catches the eye more that stuff which is static.

olykoek

Warming-Up
Oct 4, 2020
Yokohama
Tomorrow (Sunday) is going to be a perfect, “what the hell am I a going to wear” kind of day.. 11deg., cloudy, 4m/s wind from the south..

not cold, but cold enough where I’ll probably start out freezing and if it dries out early, then I’ll be pretty warm.
So I’ll probably go bib shorts (as usual), thin leggings I have for other sports underneath.
Top.. silk weight short sleeve, short sleeve jersey, thicker arm warmers, gilet.
or
Silk weight long sleeve, short sleeve jersey, light weight long sleeve, gilet

we’ll see how I feel when I get up.. and I might go around the block and decide..

hope you all have a good ride in mind!
Saddle up!

• Love
Reactions: Ratchet21

Ratchet21

Speeding Up
Sep 7, 2020
Tomorrow (Sunday) is going to be a perfect, “what the hell am I a going to wear” kind of day.. 11deg., cloudy, 4m/s wind from the south..

not cold, but cold enough where I’ll probably start out freezing and if it dries out early, then I’ll be pretty warm.
So I’ll probably go bib shorts (as usual), thin leggings I have for other sports underneath.
Top.. silk weight short sleeve, short sleeve jersey, thicker arm warmers, gilet.
or
Silk weight long sleeve, short sleeve jersey, light weight long sleeve, gilet

we’ll see how I feel when I get up.. and I might go around the block and decide..

hope you all have a good ride in mind!
Saddle up!
thanks for the advice and cycle safe!

speedwobble

Jun 26, 2017
11C might be the perfect temp for that rare beastie, the 3/4 length tight, otherwise known as the "bib knicker". I've have a pair, but have skinny calves and find that they ride up on me. If you are skinny, knee warmers don't really work either. Its tights or full leg warmers.

It was raining here yesterday and I was stuck in town, so I took a trip to Workman to check their gear. The hiking stuff they have is called "Field Core" but the cycling stuff is branded as "Find-Out". They switching over to their winter lines, but I did see the cycling windproof they have. It's called the "Move Active Cycle Jacket". There's a fluro one and it has cascading vent flaps and cycling pockets, one zipped, on the back. Many cycling-brand windproofs don't have pockets, because they assume you have a cycling jersey on underneath. For commuting, I think this would be pretty good.
I tried on some of their long-sleeve base layers and they were well cheap, but the sleeves were too short. Uniqlo Heat Tech has intentionally 9/10ths length sleeves and they are too short too. I did buy some hiking pants though, so I was well happy. I also liked the half-finger gel-palm cycling gloves Workman do, which were good for under 1000 yen. On their website, I noticed Workman do a cheap version of a block fleece like Polartec Power Grid, used in very expensive but very nice sporty midlayers by Patagonia (R1), Arcteryx (Delta) and TNF. Like the outdoor brands, they have a half zip model with thumb loops, which means the sleeves are longer than their other products and probably gaijin length. The blog I've linked to compares it to a North Face fleece and says the Workman size guide is for a very loose fit. The M size sounds a Western M.

olykoek

Warming-Up
Oct 4, 2020
Yokohama
forgot about those 3/4 'bib knickers' I also had a pair.. but threw them away a few years ago. They were looking pretty bad.

Just fyi, @Ratchet21 I ended up riding with:
tops: short sleeve jersey, arm warmers, gilet. (no silk weight inner, no gloves)
I knew it would warm up a bit, so just rode until I got warm.
bottoms: tights under bib shorts. no toe covers.

hope you all had a good ride too!

• Love

Ratchet21

Speeding Up
Sep 7, 2020
I have visited Rapha and tried out their fitting! It fits me much better than the asian fit from other brands I tried (Which is weird because I'm asian too...)
I think I might get a Brevet Long Sleeve Windblock Jersey and a Brevet Insulated Jacket to layer up when it's really cold since it is on clearance sales.
The jersey have windblock at the front and merino wool material to keep it warm while letting the sweat out from the back and the insulated jacket is really warm with ventilation to keep out the overheat, so I think it might be pretty good combination for different kind of temperature across autumn/winter/summer other than extreme cold days which I think I will most likely just hide at home.

I think that if the fit is really great and since they offer crash repair and stuff, I just hope it will be worth my money in the long run since Rapha is not cheap.
The sales assistant told me that if I get another short bibs/tights to go with it he might be able to whip up another 15-20% discount to all product, so I am thinking should I get a short bib/tights and call it a day for my cycling needs this autumn/winter/spring. (for top & bottom)

I have been reading around and it seems like people just wear normal bib short and use leg warmer on it (plus bottom base layer if needed) during winter instead of buying winter specific tight/bib for winter as it might get too hot for autumn/summer/spring, but I wonder what do you guys think? Is it better to get winter specific ones or just get the normal one with leg warmer will do just fine?

Ratchet21

Speeding Up
Sep 7, 2020
Down in Kanto a pair of bib shorts with tights pulled over the top is enough for the coldest mornings. As it heats up you can peel them off in seconds.
Actually this is a great idea, since I already have a summer short with pad and also inner with pad only, getting a tight will let me use them during winter too!

Maybe this one will work

Im gonna try to find if there is anything similar that is cheaper too.

Exactly..
but I don’t know the intensity at which you ride, so...
Even knee warmers if they fit you right can perfect

if it gets down under 4deg.C be home watching a movie..
I think tights without pad is great idea! Aa for riding I'm still pretty much a beginner that is still trying to find my riding habit. When I'm riding alone i do 30-40km around my area, on weekend I do 70-80km in a group so far. I don't ride really fast but I do enjoy long rides for now!

And yes! Not planning to cycle during wet weather and when it gets too low in temperature haha.

Reactions: kiwisimon

kiwisimon

Maximum Pace
Dec 14, 2006
Japan
Actually this is a great idea, since I already have a summer short with pad and also inner with pad only, getting a tight will let me use them during winter too!

Maybe this one will work
Im gonna try to find if there is anything similar that is cheaper too.
yep,
I use these https://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-wear-c3-thermo-tights-2
toasty warm good down to about 0 degress.

for tights with no pad look at other sports tights as well, as long as they have a draw sting for the waist or are extra long through the waist you should be good. My favorite tights for years were merino long johns made by Icebreaker but then they got popular and really expensive.

In the Kanto It's wind chill that is the problem early in the mornings so make sure you have long finger gloves, they are more important than the legwear IMHO as your hands are not moving and circulation is less. Buy medium weight and if they are not warm enough get thicker.

• Informative

speedwobble

Jun 26, 2017
That sounds like some nice gear. Regarding the Brevet Insulated Jacket, I didn't know such things existed, a jacket with insulation that packs down to fit in a pocket. I have a Uniqlo Ultralight Down (not for cycling) and even that is quite big when stuffed, about the size of tub of baby wipes. It's a great jacket for throwing in a rucksack when going somewhere, but it will not fit in a pocket.

If your cycling goal is fitness, it's important to keep on pedalling through winter, outdoors or on a trainer.

Ratchet21

Speeding Up
Sep 7, 2020
That sounds like some nice gear. Regarding the Brevet Insulated Jacket, I didn't know such things existed, a jacket with insulation that packs down to fit in a pocket. I have a Uniqlo Ultralight Down (not for cycling) and even that is quite big when stuffed, about the size of tub of baby wipes. It's a great jacket for throwing in a rucksack when going somewhere, but it will not fit in a pocket.

If your cycling goal is fitness, it's important to keep on pedalling through winter, outdoors or on a trainer.
Yea, I'm pretty skeptical too but the reviews say it fits at the backpocket of a jersey so we'll see how it goes!

factorzero

Warming-Up
Oct 10, 2020
I have visited Rapha and tried out their fitting! It fits me much better than the asian fit from other brands I tried (Which is weird because I'm asian too...)
I think I might get a Brevet Long Sleeve Windblock Jersey and a Brevet Insulated Jacket to layer up when it's really cold since it is on clearance sales.
The jersey have windblock at the front and merino wool material to keep it warm while letting the sweat out from the back and the insulated jacket is really warm with ventilation to keep out the overheat, so I think it might be pretty good combination for different kind of temperature across autumn/winter/summer other than extreme cold days which I think I will most likely just hide at home.

I think that if the fit is really great and since they offer crash repair and stuff, I just hope it will be worth my money in the long run since Rapha is not cheap.
The sales assistant told me that if I get another short bibs/tights to go with it he might be able to whip up another 15-20% discount to all product, so I am thinking should I get a short bib/tights and call it a day for my cycling needs this autumn/winter/spring. (for top & bottom)

I have been reading around and it seems like people just wear normal bib short and use leg warmer on it (plus bottom base layer if needed) during winter instead of buying winter specific tight/bib for winter as it might get too hot for autumn/summer/spring, but I wonder what do you guys think? Is it better to get winter specific ones or just get the normal one with leg warmer will do just fine?
I bought a winter specific thermal bib tights from Maap. While I do enjoy them I think they might be too hot to wear any other time of year, which is a good reason to consider just getting tights to go over normal bib shorts.