What's new

Pumping a tire using a hand pump

eimaiosatanas

Speeding Up
Dec 17, 2011
Hello guys, time for the noob question of the day.

I've been trying to pump a 700x25 presta tire using a hand pump, but although I was somewhat successful, the pressure is definitely below the recommended 115~125, probably closer to 80 or thereabouts :(. Moreover, the el-cheapo 1500yen hand pump was a royal pain in the ..neck to use.

So, is this something to be expected? Is it that a hand pump cannot be a real substitute for a proper pump and that it's just "good enough" to get you going in a case of emergency? Or do I just suck and can't even pump a tire properly :eek:?

Any insight on pumps and their proper use is appreciated. Cheers!

Connect the pump to the wheel.
Lay the wheel across your lap so the the valve is at the 6 o'clock position
Hold hand pump vertical with left hand
Pump using right

Most guys have years of practice and well defined muscle groups for inflating tyres using this method.

Failing that you could always fork out the 3,000 for a half good track pump

;)

Yes you can do it, but it takes a lot of pumping and a fairly good pump if it is one that you carry with you. A lot of the cheaper pumps won't go that high in pressure. I use my pump on the bike to get me home kind of thing, there I have a good floor pump that will easily get the tires up to pressure.

I don't like the Co2 stuff, never have, YMMV :D

Get a valve adapter and use the local bike shop's (LBS) pump, they usually don't charge for air esp' if you occasionally patronize their business. I did this for years before I wised up and got a floor pump. Are you using a quality hand pump or a POS? If the later you might never get high pressure in there.

the pressure is definitely below the recommended 115~125, probably closer to 80 or thereabouts :(

Unless you are extremely heavy that is definitely NOT the RECOMMENDED tire pressure. That is likely the max pressure. There's a big difference! An average weight rider on 700x25mm tire would probably be best served with something in the 85-105psi range. For a 700x23mm the range would be slightly higher. Additionally note that its common practice to use slightly less pressure in the front and slightly more in the rear.

Here is Michelin's recommended tire pressure chart for reference: HERE

Try this...

I've been using this kind of Double-cylinder pump for years:

GIYO Wシリンダーミニポンプ GP-01

31tDZ28VgqL._SS500_.jpg

It has a lever that allows for high air-flow during the initial stage of pumping, and with a flick of the lever, then switches to high-pressure (lower air output) for the final stages.
This is the only portable pump I've used that can take your tyre to full riding pressure.

As for technique, I usually lean the wheel up against a wall / pole so that the valve is at the bottom, thus allowing you to hold an even pressure on the valve.

I've been using this kind of Double-cylinder pump for years:

GIYO Wシリンダーミニポンプ GP-01

Funny thing is, the pump I have is also a GIYO, but I had no luck finding it on their web-site. It's like a t-shaped double-valve thingy..

I got it like, 80% there, but it seems impossible to get it up to 100psi or so. It does feel quite sluggish, so I guess I'd better get a proper pump.

Due to severe space limitations, I'd again consider another hand pump instead of a floor unit, but this time something that's rated for x psi (where x > 130~140) and preferably one with pressure indicator. Anything else that I keep in mind when I'm shopping for a pump? It'd be unwise to get burned a second time...

Indeed, this looks like a decent pump. I will try to get it, or at least something similar!

I recommend

Topeak Road Morph G

http://www.topeak.com/products/Pumps/RoadMorphG

Best of both worlds - a floor pump that you can carry round on your bike. Goes up to high pressures really quickly. If you can only have one pump I'd say this is the one to have.

I have something similar, the Topeak Mini Morph, which doesn't have the pressure gage but works very well. It got some use by a fellow rider with a 700c bike on the HFC Arakawa loop ride (Dec 4) to fix a flat and he seemed impressed by how well it worked.

I picked it because it was fairly small, has a handle that folds out, a foot stand to keep it from sliding and a short hose, so you are not forced to align the pump to the valve while pumping as long as it's near the wheel.

I think I paid something like 3900 yen for it at Y's Road Shinjuku.

Most guys have years of practice and well defined muscle groups for inflating tyres using this method.

:D

I have one of these in medium, that came recommended here. (besides some others, including a good floor pump for home) With an added bracket for the other bike.

I carry one CO2 bomb, but as pointed out above, it's best to fill your tires with about 78% nitrogen.

Today, I went to Y's in akasaka, and got a topeak Pocket Rocket DX II for a bit north of 3000yen. And this thing worked flawlessly! A nice lock, small in size, rated for 160psi. I was able to pump the tire with no problems.

However, I don't know how such a pump would hold up if I had to pump a tire up to 140 or so psi, I think it'd fall a bit short. At least, for the 100 (or thereabouts) psi that I wanted it for, it works wonders.

Another thing that piqued my interest was that, some fairly expensive pumps had no apparent lock mechanism, although they said something about "internal head lock" or something similar. Any experience on these? Do they work without any major fuss?

Cheers!

I recommend every time you pump your tyre with a pressure gage you do the Smash Test so you can get to know your ideal tyre pressure when a gage is not present.

All you do is lay one finger horizontally and smash it with the opposing hands palm. If you do this every time you pump your tyre to its desired inflation you will know how it feels and in emergency situations you can rely on the smash test, because you should check your tyre pressure as well as many other things every ryde.

Peace

All you do is lay one finger horizontally and smash it with the opposing hands palm. If you do this every time you pump your tyre to its desired inflation you will know how it feels and in emergency situations you can rely on the smash test, because you should check your tyre pressure as well as many other things every ryde.

Peace

Doesn't make sense mate...... you need to stop stealing Santa's whiskey.

Hmmmm you over engineered your explanation.

Back
Top Bottom