What's new

Article Protein?

Well, somebody had to write an article on <something>. I'm sure this is news to someone in the universe. I don't see any overt marketing except for the mention of certain drinks and where they are shelved (on my way, now). I think the key point is that when anyone trains or exerts hard they 'feel' like they need something to recover. And there is a very distinct psychological window as well as a physical window open for some kind of recovery solution. The smartest marketers go after this post-excercise depressive 'slump' or anxiety. For them to imply that vegetarians require additional protein is ludicrous - that really does show how ill informed and idiotic the writer truly is.

Tim did you actually read the article, its all about the mass marketing to people that don't need it.

Most people here are amature athletes, they research and digest (no pun implied) information regarding nutrition and recovery - however this is all about marketing to the masses to arm chair athletes that don't need additional nutritional suppliments.

I must have read it differently to you Tim. The way I see it, the writer is implying that these protein shake companies are marketing their products to people who don't need the product. It's also good to see that the writer was questioning the use of them at all. I think a well balanced healthy diet should supply an appropriate amount of protein to 99% of us.

Well, somebody had to write an article on <something>. I'm sure this is news to someone in the universe. I don't see any overt marketing except for the mention of certain drinks and where they are shelved (on my way, now).

Tim, you should reread it, because it's (blackly) funny. Example:

Among new shakes is Wing-Co, a chocolate-flavoured high-protein drink aimed as a snack alternative for men in their 30s and 40s who "aren't sucked in by lots of marketing rubbish".

"Chocolate-flavoured high-protein drink"? My own one-word comment: Bleurgh! And we read that grown men are thought likely to pick Wanko off the shelves because of the light-hearted (and "edgy"?) package design and copywriting. (Not grown women, it seems. Perhaps they're not so credulous.)

Twenty or more years ago, otherwise healthy and sane people were gobbling down "multivitamins". That idea was a laugh too.

Most of this excess ends up in the toilet.

A couple summers ago, I was going to a gym and eating a tub of yogurt, well, every day of the week I guess. Sometimes even more often. Not all the excess ended up in the toilet. Excess protein is turned into ammonia by your body and excreted with sweat. I only know this because I smelled like nobody's business and had to research why. For different reasons, now I don't eat any animal protein/products and seem to get by just fine. Fitter than ever in fact.

Back
Top Bottom