What's new

Progressive single speed

Actually quite a few of these floating around - Peleton, Feather, AN-Design, etc. Mainly they are Taiwan general purpose frame from 4130 standard tubesets. Anything in this price range will have roughly the same components - relatively cheap hubs (plan on bearing chainge within 500km) , etc -- and too many brakes for my liking. But they are good knock about bikes and you can always upgrade on the build as you want. A 'brand frame' in steel will cost at least 40,000+ and not so much different, actually. Especially for daily town riding and rainy day training. Fixed side cog , of course!

Between this, a Fuji classic, and a Tokyobike SS, which would you recommend?

I'm living in Shimo-Ochiai, just outside of Takadanobaba (still Shinjuku-ku), and need to commute daily to downtown Shinjuku. I'd also like to take the bike back to the states with me when I return next year.. and for that purpose I thought a Tokyobike would be fun, as a kind of practical souvenir. But I guess the Fuji is prolly the best of the bunch? Or are the frames actually comparable?

...rinya-bun.com has the Fuji for about 45,000, cheaper than Tokyobike and just a little more expensive than the Progressive..

http://www.rinya-bun.com/fuji2010/track/classic.html

As for "too many brakes"... they come off, right? Better to have too many than too few! ;)

Thanks for your thoughts! :)

Why not consider the Giant Bowery 72 (¥63,000) or Fixer R (¥55,000)? There is also the Specialized Langster or Gios Stilo for a few more thousand yen. The Mongoose Maurice retails for about 37,000 yen but it's made of Hi-ten steel. Remember that you get what you pay for and the money you saved by buying a sub-50000 yen bike could cost you more in replacement parts. Then again, my 4-year old daily commuter (Made in China) aka crossbike mama chari which i bought for 25,000 yen remains robust even after it had gone through typhoons, snow, mud, and the occasional drops.

Why not consider the Giant Bowery 72 (¥63,000) or Fixer R (¥55,000)? There is also the Specialized Langster or Gios Stilo for a few more thousand yen. The Mongoose Maurice retails for about 37,000 yen but it's made of Hi-ten steel. Remember that you get what you pay for and the money you saved by buying a sub-50000 yen bike could cost you more in replacement parts. Then again, my 4-year old daily commuter (Made in China) aka crossbike mama chari which i bought for 25,000 yen remains robust even after it had gone through typhoons, snow, mud, and the occasional drops.

Too many options isn't necessarily a good thing, and the only reason the Fuji Track is sub 50,000 is because it's on sale, which is why I narrowed it down to the three I picked earlier. Of the ones you included the only one that does it for me aesthetically is the Gios Stilo and maybe the Giant Fixer R... anyhow, aren't pretty much all of those essentially comparable to the Fuji Track Classic which I can get for a deal at ¥45,000?

I'm seriously ignorant here so please educate me if you guys have preferences for one reason or another... But saying things like "you get what you pay for but my ¥25,000 mamachari is awesome" in the same post doesn't really help. hahaha :)

Quite frankly - I'd be looking more at the wheelset than anything. This is where the mfgs skimp out to get the costs low. The frames are all gonna be roughly the same - nothing special there. Though, you might check out for geometry and also any braze on goodies you might want.

Fixer R is pretty cool. Aluminum and fairly aggressive geometry. I'd probably enjoy beating this one on the track as well.

Fuji Feather is classic. A little less aggressive geometery, steel frame and hey, its a Fuji.

Tokyobike are quite soft imo - but a nice ride and the 'cache' of the badge.

The 'Mc Fixies' like 'AN-Design, Peleton, Progressive all coming from TW, either Novatel or Formula Hubs, Tektro parts, etc . Its just gonna come down to the 'build' you prefer.

Consider that a nice build adds up quickly:

1) Saddle - Fizik, SI, etc - gonna cost about half what you paid on the bike!
2) Nice Wheels (Velocity, Mavic, Plus, etc) - another chunk.
3) Hubs - Novatel are cheapest, then go up from there
4) Bars / Cockpit - you can get pretty crazy here, too.

Again - main difference in this group is the Giant line has aluminum frame - and the rest are classic steelies. I'd say try to get a ride on both so you can decide which you prefer.

Fuji Feather is classic. A little less aggressive geometery, steel frame and hey, its a Fuji.

What's the difference between the Fuji Classic and Fuji Feather? Besides about USD$130. Is it worth the extra cash?

What's the difference between the Fuji Classic and Fuji Feather? Besides about USD$130. Is it worth the extra cash?

Comparing both from their website at www.fujibikes.com, the only real differences are the front and rear hubs. The Feather uses the NEW Fuji Classic sealed, High Flange, internal bolt hubs while the classic has the Formula Alloy Track, 32H set.

@kickteeth

Have you gotten around to buying that Progressive Single speed bike?

Saw this guy trying out his rollers on a Progressive Single Speed
[yt]E2tF0tK7P_s[/yt]

Back
Top Bottom