What's new

Tech problems setting up a cateye gl50 (stealth50)

jackonaboardman

Speeding Up
Jul 2, 2012
Hello all,

I've been given one of these as a birthday present and am pretty stoked about having it despite the patchy reviews online I opted for this model after my previous computer was nicked and was pretty impressed with my old cateye......unfortunately most of the reviews seem to ring true.

Has anyone else bough one of these? If so, how did you manage to:

1,get the hrm strap to sync? mine doesn't seem to do very much at all despite repeated attempts to reset everything and sync it.

2, Transfer data from the unit to your computer? I've read around and it seems fairly common that its a ball ache to get it started but once you're in its plain sailing. I took it out for a first crack in a race in Chichibu today. After getting home I was pretty stoked about seeing what I'd achieved. Unfortunately its telling me no data exists.

I've sent cateye customer services an email to ask for help but I thought one of you fine fellows would be a bit quicker on the draw and able to help.

1,get the hrm strap to sync? mine doesn't seem to do very much at all despite repeated attempts to reset everything and sync it.

When you say reset everything did you reset the HRM?

To do this you need to open the back remove the battery and insert in reverse polarity - keep it in for about 30seconds and then put back in the correct way.

If this has not worked then I suggest replacing the battery in the HRM.

Also is the HRM a Cateye or another brand? Some brands are not cross compatible with other head units, so if you are using a Garmin HRM with a Cateye you might want to check that the two are compatible

2, Transfer data from the unit to your computer? I've read around and it seems fairly common that its a ball ache to get it started but once you're in its plain sailing. I took it out for a first crack in a race in Chichibu today. After getting home I was pretty stoked about seeing what I'd achieved. Unfortunately its telling me no data exists.

I've sent cateye customer services an email to ask for help but I thought one of you fine fellows would be a bit quicker on the draw and able to help.

Can't help on that side of things.

According to one reviewer on Amazon.com, you need to reset the device by holding down the mode button until the distance goes to 0, in order for it to close the current recording. If you don't do that there will be no recorded activity when you connect it to a PC. Have you already tried that?

I see lots of complaints about lost recordings in the reviews :(

I've managed to get all the peripherals recording. Thanks for the tips chaps!

@FarEast, I bought a set that had all cateye antplus bits in it. The instruction manual was really poorly put together and I ended up finding a video on youtube that had more information on how to sync everything.

@joewein, the software issue is persisting and I have so far lost the data from the race I did on Sunday which is a real bummer. The weirdest part is that when I plug in the unit it charges happily enough but my mac doesn't pick up that theres something plugged in. I'll give it a whirl on a pc at work to see if it plays nice there. If not I'll send cateye another sternly worded email to ask for advice on how to get things running smoothly.

actually....just gave your tip about holding the menu button down and it seems to be working.... I don't know who wrote their manuals but they deserve a dead leg.

In one of the reviews I read that a better user manual than the enclosed one can be downloaded off the CatEye website. It said the paper manual was written in "Engrish". The company is based in Osaka.

Sadly, software is often the Achilles heel of Japanese engineering. Company presidents in electronic companies usually rise up from the hardware side of the business. The different emphasis on software and hardware is one of the reasons for Apple stealing Sony's crown.

Back
Top Bottom