problems..., but...?

jdd

Maximum Pace
Hardest Crash
Jul 26, 2008
Kanazawa
Today's stream of consciousness...

Mechanical hassles.

Mech at LBS says the rear half of the downtube shifters I chose are not suited to other dyna-sys stuff, and (while the front non-indexed shifter works fine) he demo'd the problem by showing that the indexed rear missed a couple shifts on the way to bigger/lower gears.

I can't remember exactly where, but on the cassette, in a couple places two index down-shifts (to lower gears) would yield only one real shift, and the at the end, it wouldn't get up onto the biggest cog (the lowest 10th gear).

He's suggesting he'll talk to shimano, or someone in their supply chain, and that the simplest solution might be swapping out the dyna-sys rear derailleur for a non-dyna-sys one (but still 10-speed, one which he thinks should work with the indexed rear downtube shifter).

Short notice, but any ideas? I'll be over there again about 1-1:30 p.m. tomorrow, maybe having to make some decisions one way or another.

I know that mtb gearing, let alone the newer dyna-sys is not a very high priority on a road bike forum, but the bike is looking really nice.

There were a zillion choices on the way in (and I'd like to have chosen most of them, and stuck them all together, picasso-like), and we tried to narrow it down right, but now this has come up.

Again, any ideas?

bird

Speeding Up
Nov 30, 2010
Kawasaki
Jtek has been providing solutions (ShiftMate or ShiftMate Straight) for compatibility issues between various shifting systems with different actuation ratio since 2004.
So far there are solutions between different speeds and/or brands(Shimano/Campy/SRAM).

However, there is no information that I know of as to which ShiftMate (#1, #2, etc) actually works for Dyna-Sys. Also considering the price of ShiftMate, I agree that the simplest solution is using a non Dyna-Sys derailleur with conventional actuation ratio of Shimano (2:1).

jdd

Maximum Pace
Hardest Crash
Jul 26, 2008
Kanazawa
Thanks. The shiftmate seems like a bigger step than swapping the RD, which seemed like it would the simplest solution. I'll see what ideas and/or confirmations he's come up with early this afternoon.