What's new

Practical Wear

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
I'm putting together some new cycling bibs and jerseys and want to get some feedback - mainly on the bibs:

Currently I'm working on 2 distinct lineups - a 'Club Version' and a 'Team Version'. Club version is low cost and intended for casual / weekend riding or souvenier type clothing. Team Version is medium cost and intended for serious cyclists demanding pro-type performance and quality. I've got the Club Version pretty much nailed and it's coming out in the next few weeks. Based on a standard pattern with just a few small tweaks. Basically comparable to any major EU 'brand' with real (not fake) Coolmax, Lycra, YKK, etc and 4 color sublimated printing.

The Team Version is where I want to focus from now:

My personal 'hit list' of items is as follows - and this is where I'd like to get your feedback - mainly , again , on the bib shorts:

1) Multi-panel construction with uni-directional support across ITB and sacral regions.
2) High UV cut material.
3) Hypoallergenic Silicon 'grippers'
4) Wicking 'bands'
5) High quality pad (currently I've chosen Cytech which has several options)
6) Reflective piping
7) Radio pocket (rear)
8) Hip pockets (gel)
9) Highly breathable mesh upper with soft shoulder straps
10) Low cut anatomic front for the obvious reasons
11) Long(er) inseam

Personally I'm a big fan of the Parentini and Pearl Izumi prdts - so that's where I'm leaning in terms of pattern and clones. But, these lack some of the details above that I've wanted to incorporate. And I'm sure some of you will have even better ideas of what to include (or not)!

Absolutely no need for a radio pocket or hip pocket in my opinion - most riders don't use them and I do beleive radios are banned in JBCF and JCF races.

However having a water proofed central pocket or pocket lining is a great feature as it either protects your tools or phone on hot sweaty days.

One thing I would work on though is flat seams - hate looking like Frankenstein'smonster after a long ride.

Ditto on the waterproof pockets.

Looking forward to seeing what you put together I like the look of that shirt you recently made.

My 2 cents...

... I don't see a need for pockets in a pair of bibs for gels. If you carried a race radio, then a water/sweat proof pocket in the center rear of the bib would be handy. Maybe you could use this pocket for an ipod/music, but the location in the shorts makes it difficult to advance songs etc. I would prefer to have an ipod located elsewhere for easy reach.

I would want wide shoulder straps that sit more towards the arms to prevent the straps cutting into muscles near my neck.

I like my shorts on the longer side.

Ditto on long length if just to give more grip for knee warmers. Pocket, no need unless I can zip in my money and keys. Breathable upper and yes to a low cut front.

Thanks --

1) Flat seams - totally agreed here.
2) Radio / iPhone /Keitai pocket - rear of bib center , or front? or even thigh? Many times I want to use my phone to snap a pic or something and digging through my rear Jersey pockets is a hassle.
3) Last thing - how about embedded HRM? I'm looking at some devices that could fit on/in either shoulder strap and be 100% compatible with any ANT+ receiver.

Tim the position of the HRM strap is worn on the ribcage, below the pectoral muscles also the electrobes need to be in close contact with the skin so unless these straps on the bibs are increbibly tight you will find it very hard to get a good contact.

In regards to the thigh pocket...... tuck your iphone up your shorts on a ride and see how annyoing it gets... the constant rubbing will also wear through ther fabric.

To be honest all these ideas are great for "SHY Shorts" basically baggy cycling touring shorts with a detachable inner for padding. I think with sports riding or race kit (Modern clothing that most of us are wearing) you are basically trying to reinvent something that has evolved over 100 years and is pretty much perfect.

Some points - not really re-inventing, more like optimizing:

HRM - http://www.numetrex.com/op/new-numetrex-transmitter-available-soon Actually there are alot of new bio monitoring prdts on market or in progress. The old chest strap is on its way out. Personally, I hate them and I know alot of people feel the same way.

Thigh pocket - I've been putting my keitai on the top of my leg for quite awhile - rubbing is not an issue - though, without a suitable pocket it will tend to work its way down and out. Just something I thought I'd throw out there and get some general pros, cons, etc. Triathletes are using multi pockets for gel packs.

Thanks for the input - it all counts!

Some points - not really re-inventing, more like optimizing:

HRM - http://www.numetrex.com/op/new-numetrex-transmitter-available-soon Actually there are alot of new bio monitoring prdts on market or in progress. The old chest strap is on its way out. Personally, I hate them and I know alot of people feel the same way.

"pod — specially designed to work with the stretchy fabric electrode sensors that are knit into our heart rate monitoring fitness apparel. "

Look at the photo - that product is the same as the Garmin luxury version that has the soft strap... it still needs to go across the chest and you still have electrobes in this case it is fitted in to there own stretchy fabric sports bra.

Garmins Softstrap:

GMNHRM2ES.jpg

So your shorts or bibs would still need to have a central strap that crosses the sternum as this is where the heart electro magnetic pulse is at its strongest. There are sucker cup models out and some of the Pro Tour riders wear them, but you still have to have something that cross the sternum and is flush with the skin.

The other issue with having it built in to a jersey is that if you wear a base layer you are screwed as the electrobes have to be in contact with the skin - also wicking materials can generate static electricity which bridge the sensors on the electrobes and causes false readings or causes the unit not to function.

Great idea but not practicle for people that use different jerseys or multiple layers.

NOW - if you built it into a fast wicking base layer!

Thigh pocket - I've been putting my keitai on the top of my leg for quite awhile - rubbing is not an issue - though, without a suitable pocket it will tend to work its way down and out. Just something I thought I'd throw out there and get some general pros, cons, etc. Triathletes are using multi pockets for gel packs.

Just my opinion Tim..... it annoys me and I can only use it as a short term solution for holding the phone while Im faffing doing other things. Not really something I personally would want in a pair of cycling shorts.

Re: phone pocket in leg.

I think all objects which need to be carried, and thus have weight, should be put in the position on the body which moves the least, and is still accessible with the hands.

This is the lower back, when sat on a racing bike.

I have stuck things up my shorts whilst riding before (stop it!), and it has always been annoying.

For longer races, I stick a gel or two under the bib leg with the tab sticking out. This looks totally Pro!:cool:

Absolutely no need for a radio pocket or hip pocket in my opinion - most riders don't use them and I do beleive radios are banned in JBCF and JCF races.

Not sure about JCF but they're widely used in JBCF. I used to turn mine off as the only advice I seemed to get was "gaman" or "ganbaru" and not much in-between...

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

For longer races, I stick a gel or two under the bib leg with the tab sticking out. This looks totally Pro!:cool:

No it doesn't - having a hot chick lean out of a Skoda in your team colours handing you gels and your mobile to take a call from your Italian mistress makes you look Pro.

Sticking gels up your shorts or sticking power bars to your frame makes you look like one of those..... tri.... can't even say it.:D

Haha! Actually Stu (just visited) and brought up a very good point. Anything in pockets or places that are 'contact points' when you fall become a health and safety risk. Not too mention they generally become squished. Good point, Stu! Now then, where's the kevlar hip shield .... hmmm

Haha! Actually Stu (just visited) and brought up a very good point. Anything in pockets or places that are 'contact points' when you fall become a health and safety risk. Not too mention they generally become squished. Good point, Stu! Now then, where's the kevlar hip shield .... hmmm

Credit goes to Zenbiker, he pointed that out to me years ago when we both used to ride them motorcycle things :D

Thanks for the wheel build today Tim :cool:

Back
Top Bottom