Power to max power meters

Sikochi

Maximum Pace
Sep 13, 2010
Kochi
Catching up on old posts, if I was buying a power meter today, I would go with Power2max. Whilst my Powertap is my favourite thing on the bike, being wheel based, there is always the need for new bearings, which (technically) requires sending the wheel off to the US (though there are youtube vids on how to do it), plus expensive repair costs if it fails outside of the 1 year warranty (luckily, mine failed inside) - I don`t know repair costs for Power2max. And obviously, it limits wheel choice, which might be a factor.

You can find a review of Power2max on DCRainmaker`s site, but now they have fixed the temperature drift issue, I think it is as accurate as anything out there, and less then a Quarq or SRM.

FarEast

Maximum Pace
May 25, 2009
Yokohama
Catching up on old posts, if I was buying a power meter today, I would go with Power2max. Whilst my Powertap is my favourite thing on the bike, being wheel based, there is always the need for new bearings, which (technically) requires sending the wheel off to the US (though there are youtube vids on how to do it), plus expensive repair costs if it fails outside of the 1 year warranty (luckily, mine failed inside).
WOW - How often do you change the bearings??? I've been riding mine now for 2 years and the only sent the hub back once to have it calibrated which they did for free.

Sikochi

Maximum Pace
Sep 13, 2010
Kochi
WOW - How often do you change the bearings??? I've been riding mine now for 2 years and the only sent the hub back once to have it calibrated which they did for free.
I haven`t yet - I think it had completely new internals when it was repaired/replaced. Just pointing out the possibility, though, reading the March thread now, I note he ordered one anyway, so doesn`t matter.

I think you mentioned a long time ago that you were interested in trying to upgrade the hub on your Powertap - they are rolling out such a program, but think it is only for the US at the mo, but if stll interested, you could always ask the question.

theBlob

Bokeh master
Sep 28, 2011
I was going to buy one, but the local supplier said that it was going to take 2 months to get it. So I bought the new Quarq Elsa. 53/38.

It is here in my hot hands waiting for me to get a BB. What do you know, after calling just about every shop in Tokyo nobody has the appropriate BB for me, and guess what neither does the local supplier of....

SRAM GXP English threaded BBs

So I guess I will have to order from abroad and wait for the delivery...:thumb1:

I should have ordered it with the unit but I wasn't sure exactly what I needed in the way of BB's it all seemed so confusing....:confused:

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
I don't know what's so confusing -- I think several people went over this many many times:

1) Shimano Crank? Use Shimano BB cups.
2) FSA / GPX Style crank? Use GXP cups.
3) Campy Crank? Use Campy cups.

Your Quarq takes GXP (SRAM) cups.
http://www.quarq.com/support/bottom-bracket (WDOIGIFY)

Y's, Nalsima, SEO and many other shops have this in stock. So does Simworks (Chris King) and I even saw a couple of used ones at Cycly.

I was going to buy one, but the local supplier said that it was going to take 2 months to get it. So I bought the new Quarq Elsa. 53/38.

It is here in my hot hands waiting for me to get a BB. What do you know, after calling just about every shop in Tokyo nobody has the appropriate BB for me, and guess what neither does the local supplier of....

SRAM GXP English threaded BBs

So I guess I will have to order from abroad and wait for the delivery...:thumb1:

I should have ordered it with the unit but I wasn't sure exactly what I needed in the way of BB's it all seemed so confusing....:confused: