What's new

Power people?

I'm a high cadence rider

I`ve always been low cadence, as soon as I raise cadence, RPE goes up, HR goes up. I should do more high speed cadence work, but not that bothered. For example, I did 2 different hill climbs last week. First one at 293 W, cadence 76, other one 289 W at 75 which is below the study guide `86 +/- 7.6, for 300` but then I was deliberately big-ringing the climbs.

With fatigue from last year, stomach problems now (all those chocolate raisins!), I can only hold 300W for about 4-5 minutes :(

I grew up racing BMX then XCmtb so from a very early age trained in high cadence work.

For me I really have to work on my low cadence training - it's an effort fortunately now Im coaching my son I can happily crunch along at 85rpm and 25km/h while he spins along. It's amazing how tired you can get doing that over 25-30km.

I haven't done a CP30 or 60 in ages - I really should but the last CP60 I did I had a 5 minute Peak 594w (10 minute 428w)

I was very confused on the weekend having struggled up shiraishi (27minute climb) being 2 minutes off my best (set in very similar circumstances) but have almost identical power numbers?? Very confused and examined the data without much being cleared up until this morning, when my PM (or garmin) started spitting out numbers about 30% above what I had previously been able to do.

I have been getting a low battery power warning on my garmin on start up virtually since I got the unit. So i guess something is screwed up. Hopefully just the battery. I will investigate tonight... Man if I have to send it back for repair I will be pissed, and what will I do? How can I ride without a PM now? It is an integral part of what I love about my training these days!!!!:eek:

My Training is starting to yeild results.

Hit a sub LT run this morning with 2x20min session, 5 min break in between, followed by a 30 min tempo run

Hit 295W on both the 20 minute runs and 255 for the tempo run.

I had room to move on the sub LT runs, so I am hoping after my break next week and when I next test to hit maybe a 310W 20 min FTP. my course has a few spots where I have to stop peddling to do U turns and go up or down small rises on and off river banks.

Cadence was really high too, between 100-110 all the way.

Anyway todays numbers were my highest numbers on my course yet, and if I can hit my target on my next test I will be very happy.

Just noticed your times for Shiraishi. Good to know what kind of times I should be aiming for. I had no idea what a good or bad time up there was before ;)

Are my times up there good? Middle of the road I think. I'm sure you can do better.

My Training is starting to yeild results.

Hit a sub LT run this morning with 2x20min session, 5 min break in between, followed by a 30 min tempo run

Hit 295W on both the 20 minute runs and 255 for the tempo run.

Looks like you are putting out some decent power. How much do you weigh?

Indeed, and if I could maintain the same effective pedal force whilst increasing the cadence, I would go faster/put out more power (obviously, it isn`t that simple). On a side note, I do put this down as one of the reasons why I can`t produce the same power on the flat - I don`t increase cadence enough to compensate for the reduced amount of time I exert force to the pedals when riding on the flat.
But then you start wading into the whole self-selected/optimal cadence debate...

Anyway, whilst I have tried a few high cadence drills recently, my goal isn`t racing, so the training comes second to actually riding the bike. Hence, anything that veers towards the training side of the equation kinda loses my interest. Maybe if I was younger...something about old dogs and new tricks comes to mind as well ;)

For anyone interested, this is an interesting analysis on optimal cadence/pedalling.

Another step forward this morning, finishing off my ramped 3 week cycle.

2hr interval Tempo/SubLT with a sprint every 5 minutes.

120 min power 276W max 1107W, cadence 97, 67.5km

very nice!! I'm back in the sub 90 minute 50km range which means I am riding as well as I ever have!!

Very Happy, Now a rest week of Active recovery and core work.

Are my times up there good? Middle of the road I think. I'm sure you can do better.
Sorry, missed this before. I'm guessing your times must be pretty good. You seem to be training pretty hard and that power meter thingymbob must be leading you in the right direction. Most of my training involves a lot of running which isn't too helpful on the bike. Sure, it means I have the endurance but often not the legs. Think I made a big mistake by setting off way to far on the Shiraishi climb yesterday. I think there is a lot of time to be had on the upper slopes when it levels off a little. Need to work on saving a little energy for there.

the biggest advantage in hill climb results is knowing the climb - doing it blind or once in a blue moon is always a disadvantage.

the biggest advantage in hill climb results is knowing the climb - doing it blind or once in a blue moon is always a disadvantage.
I've actually done the climb a few times but it's only the second time I've timed myself on it. I think my big disadvantage is my brain, or should I say, lack of !

I've actually done the climb a few times but it's only the second time I've timed myself on it. I think my big disadvantage is my brain, or should I say, lack of !

It's why Im a shite climber - I need to know it like the back of my hand to be any good, its all cyclelogical for me
(English teachers: Spelling mistake is deliberate)

Back
Top Bottom