Potentially my first road bike

Nsylver

Warming-Up
Mar 20, 2012
Oita, Beppu-shi
Bah, yeah, seller offered for 350 USD including shipping to Japan. Thank for the repost on bad image link.

If I were to put a different/new groupo on this, which one would you use? (keep in mind a university student's budget).

FarEast

Maximum Pace
May 25, 2009
Yokohama
Did you just buy the frame or did you also get the parts that came with it? If it came with all the parts in the photo I really wouldn't bother!

Also I would go Shimano 105 over Ultegra cheaper yet just as good in my opinion.

If you are going to replace part I would strongly suggest checking this shop out:

http://www.sagamicycle.com/

I don't think anywhere can beat those prices right now!

AlanW

Maximum Pace
Jan 30, 2007
Tokyo
New tyres
New brake pads
New bar tape

Then ride, ride, ride it. No point spending big bucks on a bike like this. Enjoy it, get fit, then it can become your pub/shopping/commuting/turbo trainer bike when you get something more modern.

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
I agree - there are no 'bad parts' on there at all. You'll just want to put on a modern chain, new brake blocks, cables and clean everything. It will ride fine. If you want a retro 'project bike' , then better to look at something that started out in life as a Campy bike.

Totally agree - absolutely no point in purchasing new parts for this bike, its perfect as it is!