What's new

Post your Youtube favs...

Two youtube cycling-related channels I enjoy are the one by Clint Gibbs and Ronald Kuba. They blend their personal cycling story with technical reviews and footage from rides. Kuba is more technically minded, though (I think he has finished a degree in engineering), whereas Gibbs often uploads nice MTB and cyclocross footage.

Thanks @Musashi13
Appearing at 2:08 in mivro kit for those interested.
Based on the pained facial expression, that has to be after the big climb where I dropped half my food.
What an amazing event though. Not many races are run on this kind of course in Japan.

What made the course so special?

From what I can see, there are lots of hill climb races around, lots of circuit races around whether they are flat or with a decent amount of climbing, but having a course on closed roads with big climbing that doesn't loop a circuit is rare. For enthusiasts like me wanting to race something like a grand tour stage, it's a great experience.

Also, the roads they use are wide and well-maintained.

Sounds awesome! Glad you had a great time and I hope there's more of these events around soon.
Thanks for your reply!

I plan on doing Niseko next year. I thought about doing it this year, but ended up doing the Nasu Kogen Longride instead for practicality reasons.

Lot's of Niigata Orange in that video too.

It is indeed a great event.

You can use it to qualify for the Gran Fondo World Championships. Next year in Poland.

I used it to go to the Worlds in Perth in 2016. One of the best weeks of my life!

Next year, Niseko should have a decent TT so I hope to go and target that and the jersey that goes with it!

Andy

I'd love to enter an event that was like a real road race (closed roads, not a loop). Not really to race (nowhere near strong enough) but just for the experience.
Would -really- love to do L'Etape or Haute Route one of these years - if I can put in a couple good years of training to be able to do the event and actually enjoy it, might make that my retirement present.

Thought about doing some of the hill climb events here in Japan, but at my weight, I'm slow as molasses going up any proper incline.

TT will be 13km next year so better than 2018.

@WattsUp if you enter any of those events try to make a decent holiday of it as all of them have cut off checkpoints or rolling sag wagons that tell you-you're out. You may know this already, but I saw first hand what it can mean for people who just turn up for the day.
A few guys staying with my crew in Niseko came across from Shanghai and only made it to the first 42km point then had their bikes slung in a truck as they were brought back to the start finish in a bus. No more riding until their bikes arrived a while after the last riders had crossed the line.
L'Etape was much more lax in the timing and there are alternate routes back to the start for those out of time to finish the real stage. The timing at Niseko has gotten tighter since a few years back, I heard.
The guys I rode with from HK were in Hokkaido for a week before the race so even the few that didn't make the cut had a good time riding despite being cut from the event itself.
Might do L'Etape again in 2019 depending on timing. FAR too many people but a great event

Buddy of mine did L'Etape many years ago. He told me about his first attempt, when he hadn't really put in any proper training. Maybe didn't just 'show up on the day' but no real serious training. He made it about half-way before getting picked up by the broom wagon, and he said it was pure carnage across the road, people crying, throwing up etc.

He put in a solid year of training and did quite well the next year, so there's hope for me yet <g>.

Rather than go all the way across for a one-day event, I would love to go over for a seven-day Haute Route, which a different buddy of mine in the UK raved about - 'hardest damned thing I've done in my life and it was absolutely brilliant'. He said it the closest us amateurs could get to experiencing what it's like to do a multi-stage tour event, with transport and stuff sorted out for you.

The film Icarus was originally meant to be Bryan Fogel doping his way to Haute Route victory but turned into something much much bigger.
I know a couple of people who entered it, sounds like a blast.
GCN did something on it not long ago

Thought about @andywood when I watched this. Part 2 is pretty good, too.

The guy's vlogs are a bit like marmite though.

Cheers!

Taping up the vents! I will have to try that now winter is approaching.

Also, it's interesting what he says about short tail helmets performing poorly, but it's a trend, which makers push for obvious reasons - this is something Enosan at the bike shop here is always talking about.

In the wind tunnel, I was also happy to hear that the two fastest bikes are the Cervelo P5 and the Trek Speed Concept.

But the takeaway from this is how important rider position and clothing is.

My set up is overlooked by Enosan, riding the rig at the shop. But it would be great to have access to this scientific approach.

Andy

Back
Top Bottom