What's new

post-typhoon apocalypse: what's still rideable?

hat and beard

Maximum Pace
Apr 3, 2012
Seeing as how many of our favorite roads have been rendered impassable by the recent typhoons, I thought it would be a good idea to organize our collective knowledge of which cyclist frequented roads are open into a single thread.

Perhaps somebody with a lot of free time can edit all the contributions into a single post and update as things change?? Just an idea.

I haven't been out much, but I can confirm routes 93 (AKA the Mother Bokujo climb) and 163/164 (AKA the Kano-zan climb) in Chiba are open.

Im sure most of you know this trick but..... for people using Strava:

You can always check if a certain segment has been crossed recently by going to 'Routes'> 'Segment Explorer' -> Enable segment view:

1572500550781.png

Select your favorite segment (Yabitsu-toge in this example) and go to details:

Here you can see if the segment has been crossed in the last month, or week or year:

1572500730160.png

If you want to get extra snoopy, you can open these recent rides and go through picture/stats/comments that people have uploaded to see if the route is alright (meanwhile crying tears of mediocrity on your inability to have a good time on the segment).

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 1572500668523.png
    1572500668523.png
    240.6 KB · Views: 0
I believe that all of this route is doable:
I certainly hope so, because several of us plan to do it on Saturday 2nd. (Setting off at 08:30 from outside the 7-11 opposite Musashi Itsukaichi station. If anyone might like to join but has questions, do ask.)

Rt76 between Fujino (near Sagami-ko) and Aone village on Doshi road (Rt413) reopened this morning. It's still down to one lane in places, with traffic alternating in both directions, but at least you no longer have to climb Rt24 from Tsuru city to get to Doshi village / Yamanakako.

(Twitter)

I believe that all of this route is doable:
I certainly hope so, because several of us plan to do it on Saturday 2nd. (Setting off at 08:30 from outside the 7-11 opposite Musashi Itsukaichi station. If anyone might like to join but has questions, do ask.)

I'm not sure if I can yet, but mind if I tag along?

I'd be delighted to re-make your acquaintance, H A Beard. (Will I get to see your Tsunesaburo?) NB no lunch stops till after the last climb, so we'll have to carry junk food. Also, I'm slow (tho' you needn't be).

I'd be delighted to re-make your acquaintance, H A Beard. (Will I get to see your Tsunesaburo?) NB no lunch stops till after the last climb, so we'll have to carry junk food. Also, I'm slow (tho' you needn't be).

Great! Don't worry, I'll be plenty slow! I haven't done much riding at all since August.
If I'm not there at 8:30 that means I had too much beer tonight and you should go on ahead without me.
Think I'll leave the Tsab at home due to rinko and mud guard related related hassles. Will probably be on the ancient but trusty Schwinn.

@microcord I was thinking of doing a kazahari run tomorrow so maybe I'll join for the first bit too, if you don't mind...

All are welcome. NB (i) this is Kazahari via Kazahari rindō; (ii) no lunch till we've almost finished, so bring/buy pocketfuls of fuel; (iii) I'm about to turn this computer off and therefore won't see any further messages.

Nice to meet some new folks up to Kazahari, though I split for a different loop after that. 36/30 is not enough for me on that hill 😬

Anyways to the original topic of popular climbs getting typhooned, from riding today happy to report Wada-toge east was closed to cars with the gate but it is traversible by road bike (just a few spots of dirt), and Wada west is open for all traffic.

I just saw photos of Irohazaka, I think I might have to check it out before I fly out on Thursday. I'm a bit limited for checking recent Strava attempts (only have phone...) - roads should be fine yeah? Even better, anyone have a recommended route? :)

Back
Top Bottom