Pop-Up Portland - Renovo Hardwood Bikes Etc. April 22-24, Akihabara

dgl2

Maximum Pace
Nov 3, 2007
Tokyo - Minato-ku
On April 22 to 24, there will be an exhibit at the "MAAch eCute Kanda Manseibashi" exhibition space near Akihabara called "Pop-up Portland" featuring a number of products from the locus of cycling artisanship, Portland Oregon.

Renovo Bikes -- maker of beautiful hardwood performance bikes -- is featured. Also Portland Design Works (cycling accessories) and Keen footwear (ever try Keen cycling sandals or leather cycling commuter shoes? they are great).

Relevant links and some photos of the Renovo bikes on the Positivo Espresso blog here.

http://positivo-espresso.blogspot.jp/2015/04/renovo-bikes-beautiful-hardwood.html

dgl2

Maximum Pace
Nov 3, 2007
Tokyo - Minato-ku
I guess times have changed since the Cold War -- kids in Portland these days would not need to "import" a single speed ... plenty of local choices!

My first bike (in Portland) was a used "two speed kick back" -- shifted between the two gears by a quick reverse kick of the cranks. It was fast. Then there was a garage sale "ten speed" I rode to high school, don't recall where it came from ... but I DO remember when, during a commute home from Cleveland High School, the rim dynamo came loose and fell into the spokes of the front wheel, sending me flying over the handlebars. I remember walking up to the nearest house and ringing the doorbell to ask someone to call my parents to come get me ... covered in blood and grime and no doubt looking a bit like a zombie.

I guess there should be thread about "the first bike I destroyed." Mine wasn't actually mine, but a friend's Schwinn 10-speed, probably when I was 15-16; brand new and he let me ride it up and down the street a couple of times: I promptly overshifted the rear derailleur into the spokes. Luckily my dad had homeowners insurance that paid for it.

dgl2

Maximum Pace
Nov 3, 2007
Tokyo - Minato-ku
I went and looked at these bikes earlier in the week, chatted with Ken Wheeler (founder/CEO) and took one on a short test ride. The ride quality is very nice. Great damping on the bumps I was able to find near the exhibition in Kanda/Manseibashi, and great, lively feel. And the cost seems not-too-high for the "ready to ride" models for a potential lifetime frame that is rideable and beautiful ... MSRP in the U.S. of $3500 to $4500 for the John Day ... Pursuit and others.

Ken said the coating is the same type of polyurethane used on top of Mercedes Benz auto paint ... very tough. And lots of other interesting things about the way these are built. He said they are experimenting with the use of a single layer of carbon fiber to tweak ride qualities on one model.

This is a company run by an engineer who happens to be using wood to build frames, not a woodworker who decided to carve bicycles.

If you are close to Kanda/Akihabara and have time highly recommend a stop by this exhibition.