What's new

Police crackdown in June

Graham

Cruising
Feb 4, 2014
This in the Asahi today - 14 cycling crimes will land you in trouble in a June crackdown:
http://www.asahi.com/articles/ASH196F72H19UTIL03T.html

政府は20日、信号無視や酒酔い運転など14類型の「危険行為」のいずれかを繰り返した自転車運転者に対して、今年6月から安全講習の受講を義務づける政令案を閣議決定した。講習逃れには「5万円以下の罰金」が科される。所管する警察庁は「取り締まりの強化とあわせて、事故の抑止につなげたい」としている。

14類型は、信号無視▽一時不停止▽酒酔い運転▽ブレーキのない自転車の利用▽遮断機を無視した踏切への立ち入り――など。受講を命じる対象は、これらの危険行為を3年に2回繰り返した14歳以上で、講習の内容の一部は、違反内容に応じたものにする考えだ。講習は3時間で、手数料は都道府県の条例で定められるが政令は標準額を5700円とした。警察庁は過去の摘発状況から年間の受講者が数百人になるとみている。

2013年6月に成立した改正道路交通法で、危険行為を繰り返した運転者に対して、都道府県の公安委員会は講習の受講を命じることができるようになり、警察庁が危険行為の具体的な中身や対象者、開始時期を検討していた。

Things like jumping lights, not stopping, drunk riding, "dangerous behaviour", riding with no brakes, not stopping at level crossings etc. You will have a 3 hour lecture if over 14 years old and you get nicked twice in 3 years; and fined up to 50k if you don`t attend. Better beware! (and beware my feeble Japanese translation too)

Last edited:
Would be nice if the cycling infrastructure was improved and more lessons provided the automobile drivers on dealing with cyclists.

No mention about wrong way cyclists nor mention of ambiguous rules on cycling on the sidewalk. Do the police have to fine + lecture themselves? Occasionally I'll observe police themselves exhibiting poor cycling behavior.

I can`t find the complete list....it must be out there somewhere. Anyway, I am never sure that the police actually know the laws themselves sometimes - as you say, unclear laws.

lots of police around today in Matsudo and Nagareyama pulling over drivers....my radar in the car saved me on sunday as well....

Back
Top Bottom