What's new

Police alert!!!!

EricinIkebukuro

Speeding Up
Jan 30, 2011
Hey all,

Giving everyone a heads up. I'm on my way to work in shibuya and the police are lining the streets stopping all cyclists doing any type of infraction. All infractions listed in the "more on the law" thread is being enforced. I have seen fixed gears confiscated for no brakes an people put in a police wagon. People riding with earbuds are only being warned. People not following traffic lights or riding through crosswalks are being stopped and fined. Everyone becareful. This time they are out for blood and the "I don't speak Japanese" line probably won't work.

Giving everyone a heads up. I'm on my way to work in shibuya and the police are lining the streets stopping all cyclists doing any type of infraction. All infractions listed in the "more on the law" thread is being enforced. I have seen fixed gears confiscated for no brakes and people put in a police wagon. People riding with earbuds are only being warned. People not following traffic lights or riding through crosswalks are being stopped and fined. Everyone becareful. This time they are out for blood and the "I don't speak Japanese" line probably won't work.
:cop: :bike: :cop: :bike: :cop: :bike: :cop:

Great! Keeping the streets safe for the rest of us.

I went through Shibuya on R246 at around 07.45 and didn't see a single cop - not even on the corner by Y's where they are often to be found trawling motorists who drive straight on from the left-turn-only lane.

So I guess it's the 8 o'clock shift that's on naughty-cyclist-catching duty. I'm surprised that there's anyone still out on the street on a kotei with no brakes. Social pariah!

Wouldn't it be nice if, inbetween times, the police could also clean up the illegal parking and illegal driving in bus/cycle lane problems!? That would make it much safer for cyclists to ride in the road.

I'm looking forward to the day the police starts a campaign to root out dangerous and illegal driving by taxis. May be a long while off, as it would require importing police from all over Japan just to patrol a small area of Tokyo...

:cop: :bike: :cop: :bike: :cop: :bike: :cop:

Wouldn't it be nice if, inbetween times, the police could also clean up the illegal parking and illegal driving in bus/cycle lane problems!? That would make it much safer for cyclists to ride in the road.

I agree that cleaning up the illigal parking. Because if the bicycles are supposed to be excluded from the sidewalk, and then there are the illigal pariking on the street.... Will the bicycles be able to run anywhere?

I went through the same intersection as HF Mike just before 8AM. I didn't see any police, so I took one of the middle lanes towards Roppongi (technically illegal I think?).

BTW, can a bicycle be pulled over for speeding. :rolleyes:

I'm looking forward to the day the police starts a campaign to root out dangerous and illegal driving by taxis. May be a long while off, as it would require importing police from all over Japan just to patrol a small area of Tokyo...

+1 to this

so I took one of the middle lanes towards Roppongi (technically illegal I think?).
Yes it is. But on that intersection they turn a grudging blind eye because there is no sensible alternative; the nearest crossing that could be used is at the top of Konno-zaka/Miyamasu-zaka, and to cross using the cycle lanes would leave the cyclist in the road facing the wrong way.

Here's one miscreant on Google Streetview doing just what you describe.

BTW, can a bicycle be pulled over for speeding? :rolleyes:
Definitely. The bicycle is a (light) vehicle, and according to article 22 of the Road Traffic Law a vehicle must not travel faster than the posted speed limit. The speed limit on R246, supposedly an urban clearway, is 60 kph except where otherwise indicated.

I think it very unlikely that a cyclist in the road would actually be ticketed for speeding. But, again, if excessive speed were deemed to be a contributory factor in an accident - as it very frequently is - then the penalties can be harsh.

With all that man [sic] power out there - I sincerely hope they crack the SEA gangfuc*ers that have been stealing nice bikes and sending them to Malaysia, Singapore and VietNam. And the finoccio idiot taxi drivers that Ludwig alludes to! FIXED GEAR - ON! BRAKES - OFF! Catch me if you can!

This seems to be getting up a fair bit of media interest of late.

I had a couple of 'muggles' talking to me about this today at work; apparently it has been all over the TV for days now.

All good, I suppose.

I had a shirobai slip out of the stopped traffic and follow me in the bus lane, stopping about 40m back as I stopped at a red light. One of those people only crossing ones with no people crossing. He was definitely waiting for me to head right on through.

I guess I have that look to me!!:cool:

To be honest I really don't see what all the fuss is about. We should all be abiding by the laws of Japan as we are all here at our own free will and have choosen these fair islands as home for now.

To be honest I really don't see what all the fuss is about. We should all be abiding by the laws of Japan as we are all here at our own free will and have choosen these fair islands as home for now.

I completely agree, we are guests in a way, paying guests, but guests, just the same. My concern is that I can follow the law/rules only if I know what they are, and if I can find out what they are. We have been told that when I'm hauling the trailer, I'm not classified the same as just a bicycle, but not a car either. OK if I'm not classified as a bicycle, can I go on the sidewalks that are makred with this....
View attachment 919
... sign, can I ride my bicycle & trailer rig? Dunno, have to find out.
Now I basically adhere to the rules like I was a car。
I did find this page, dunno how correct it is, that the max limit is 120Kg and the max speed is 25Km/h, I'm sure I've gone over both now and then :rolleyes:

Hmmm paying guests? I think paying your way when on extended visits is the poliet thing to do, especailly when you get so much for your money ;)

I'm actually meeting with a member of the Kanagawa Police force on Monday to discuss this very topic and others that are going on at the moment on the TCC and other forums and I'm working on a new initiative regarding cycling and awareness in Japan. Hopefully it will all get off the ground very quickly.

In regards to the police crack down.... could be worse:

http://www.glassbeadcollective.org/cm0307.htm

Hey all,

Giving everyone a heads up. I'm on my way to work in shibuya and the police are lining the streets stopping all cyclists doing any type of infraction. All infractions listed in the "more on the law" thread is being enforced.

This is really great. I hope the police spread enforcement throughout Tokyo, not just concentrating on Shibuya.

As do I, in two weeks I witnessed 3 kids get hit by bikes around the local kindergarten and Primary school, each time the rider has been weaving on and off the pavement, twic the accidents were caused by business personal going to work or returning, earphones on and playing with mobile device, the 3rd caused by a minor who's brakes didn't work.

Also I thought I would point out that there are many cries about the crank down and at the same time people are calling out that the Japanese cycle weilding minions need to be educuated..... well this is it people and I think the boys in Blue are doing a bloody good job of it!

Also Im sure this will have a knock on effect, with more cyclists on the roads there will be a growing pressure from the domestic cycling community to demand that the police and prefectual goverment start new incentives for cyclelanes or shared lanes and clearing the bus lanes and current cycling paths of illegally parked cars and the likes.

I'm really hoping that you're right. Once all the bicycles are pushed onto the roadway, the really dangerous commuters will have accidents, and the old and inform will be up in arms that they can't ride "safely" anymore, and that's when the infrastructure will be built. I suspect there will be a lot of mistakes, but maybe by the time I'm dead, Tokyo will have figured it out.

Just ride got checked

Photo%20on%2010-29-11%20at%203.50%20PM.jpg

I never went to work on Saturday, but today I decided to my office to get some work done. On the way to Shibuya Police check all the bike on the road and give me a gift for being a good biker:cool:

Also Im sure this will have a knock on effect, with more cyclists on the roads there will be a growing pressure from the domestic cycling community to demand that the police and prefectual goverment start new incentives for cyclelanes or shared lanes and clearing the bus lanes and current cycling paths of illegally parked cars and the likes.
this is going to be a big positive.

Cycling lanes, well let me tell you no out out there wishes for more cycling lanes than I do, fully loaded with beer (under the 120Kg limit!!) I really do like that there is one road which is maybe 1/3 of my biggest daily delivery that has a bike lane, and yes, it is constantly filled with parked cars, and I do dislike that, but, what are the drivers supposed to do? I also use my micro van for deliveries, say on a big job, or on rainy days, if there is a bike lane in front of the shop I want to stop at, what else can I do but stop in the bike lane?

What we have is basically this......

Bicycle_Lane_1.jpg

Which, like I said gets parked in all the time, which, as a driver, I understand. as a store owner too, I'd be rather POed if the city came a long a put a bike lane in front of my shop and did not allow anyone to park there :eek:

What I think they are contemplating is something like this.....

2nd-street-bike-lane-12312007.jpg

The problem with that approach is it puts cyclist into the gore zone, which is the zone that car doors open into. This is why I'm very much against Bicycle Lanes. I think we need another approach....?

In doing some reading and research I like the idea of the "Sharrows" I think it would work better for the busy, crowded streets of Tokyo.....
9428632-large.jpg

This is not a lane just for cyclists, but is marked to remind or show the drivers that cyclists can and should be there and for cyclist, to give them an idea of where they are expected to ride. No system is going to be perfect, but we have to start somewhere.

Easy. Get rid of cars in the metro area. What realistic purpose do they serve anymore? Utilize the passageway (streets) for mass transit, cycles and special delivery vehicles and that's it!

Cycling lanes, well let me tell you no out out there wishes for more cycling lanes than I do, fully loaded with beer (under the 120Kg limit!!) I really do like that there is one road which is maybe 1/3 of my biggest daily delivery that has a bike lane, and yes, it is constantly filled with parked cars, and I do dislike that, but, what are the drivers supposed to do? I also use my micro van for deliveries, say on a big job, or on rainy days, if there is a bike lane in front of the shop I want to stop at, what else can I do but stop in the bike lane?

What we have is basically this......

Bicycle_Lane_1.jpg

Which, like I said gets parked in all the time, which, as a driver, I understand. as a store owner too, I'd be rather POed if the city came a long a put a bike lane in front of my shop and did not allow anyone to park there :eek:

What I think they are contemplating is something like this.....

2nd-street-bike-lane-12312007.jpg

The problem with that approach is it puts cyclist into the gore zone, which is the zone that car doors open into. This is why I'm very much against Bicycle Lanes. I think we need another approach....?

In doing some reading and research I like the idea of the "Sharrows" I think it would work better for the busy, crowded streets of Tokyo.....
9428632-large.jpg

This is not a lane just for cyclists, but is marked to remind or show the drivers that cyclists can and should be there and for cyclist, to give them an idea of where they are expected to ride. No system is going to be perfect, but we have to start somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom