What's new

Polar Service Center in Japan?

maverick_1

Warming-Up
Aug 24, 2008
Hi everyone,

need some help or suggestion from you guys..

i have the Polar 625X, but couple of weeks ago it noticed the unit has some water vapour on its main screen while riding on a cold wkends.
seems the water proofing has gone kaput...

yesterday night, the worst happened. :eek:uch:
at certain parts of the screen, some of the digits seemed to be dimmer than others..although the back light is still working well.
(btw, i recently replaced the battery myself and that was when intial problems started to occur)

im now looking for a service center to have it check but can't seem to be able to find it on the internet.

any ideas?

(btw, i recently replaced the battery myself and that was when initial problems started to occur)

The Polar terms & conditions state you must have the battery changed by them or the warranty is void. The dealer needs to return the watch to Polar for the battery change. Any dealer can send the watch back to Polar.

Once water is inside the circuitry will be damaged - the battery accelerates the process. Prepare yourself for a repair cost similar to a new watch. Ask the dealer about repair conditions - you may be charged a minimum fee only to be given an uneconomic quotation for fixing the watch or simply told it is broken.

I hope I am wrong :(

Philip

The Polar terms & conditions state you must have the battery changed by them or the warranty is void. The dealer needs to return the watch to Polar for the battery change. Any dealer can send the watch back to Polar.

Once water is inside the circuitry will be damaged - the battery accelerates the process. Prepare yourself for a repair cost similar to a new watch. Ask the dealer about repair conditions - you may be charged a minimum fee only to be given an uneconomic quotation for fixing the watch or simply told it is broken.

I hope I am wrong :(

Philip

Thanks Philip.

Well, my 625X is already out of warranty. i got them back in 2004/05.
It's been one of my best training tool for cycling and i really wish it's still repairable.

I knew it was a risk to change the battery myself (the battery was replaced 5months ago, but problem only occurs in Sept 08).
I guess i have to prepare to get another new unit..hmm:(

Any comments on SUUNTO X6HR?
are they using similar technology as Polar?
the new Polar HRMs (especially RX series) seems gimmicky and not as solid as the S625 or 7xx series..

cheers

Canon in Japan do the service work. They have replaced one of mine that was leaking after my dog bit it and pressed the glass in. (no charge).
They replaced the batteries in both mine and my wife's one as well. Forget how much that cost.

I was also having great problems when I 1st got my Polar as my then Fujitsu laptop had some bug in it and would not work with the infra red.

They spent a lot of time helping me with that sending me lots of free cables and ways of fixing the problem.

Very good service team.

They will have a booth at next month's cycle show in Tokyo and if you can wait till then...take it there. You'll get great service and freebies.. They won't want somebody hanging around the booth complaining... :D (I did that about 3 years ago).

日本総輸入販売元
キヤノントレーディング株式会社
http://www.canon-trading.co.jp/
〒108-0075 東京都港区港南2-13-29
[email protected]

Suunto fan here

I have a x6hr and love it. bought it originally for mtn biking, skiing, and mtn climbing, but its been awesome for nearly everything. Mine has altimeter, compass, barometer, HRM, and temp gauge. I find the temp gauge helpful in the winters for ice warning/body temp regulation. Also useful in the office to let office managers know when rooms I work in are over 30degrees, and cool biz is not bikram yoga.

The t series loses a function or two but gains running pod and cycle attachments.

Other benefit is that batteries on the watch and HR strap are user replaceable with common batteries available at your local 100 yen store.

thanks a bunch guys..

thanks so much for the link to canon japan. appreciated.

though i would say if my 625x has gone beyond repair, i'll be tempted with the Suunto T6c series..

just have no idea how reliable Suunto(s) are as i have zero experience on them.

hi trad,
how long have u got the Suunto? any complains so far?
been hunting around in Tokyo, the T6c series is selling approx Yen 80k i think..
not cheap!

Low tech...

I remember when I was about 11 years old, and dad had just bought me a sparkling new "digital" watch - It had four whole numbers on the screen:eek:
Anyway, one day I wore it into the swimming pool without thinking... It wasn't water-proof.
I went home crying to dad that I'd broken the present he'd bought me.
He said, "Don't worry, son! Watch this!" He stuck it in the oven at about 100F for 20 minutes, pulled it out, let it cool, and it was working perfectly.
Before anyone complains about such barbaric techniques, my father was a trained radio-technician for the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF).

Back to you, Maverick; I wouldn't suggest you put your "Polar" in the oven as it will probably melt. However, if you can find a warm, dry place to put it - even in front of a hair dryer or heater for an hour or so might do the trick.
One other thing, when you change the batteries yourself (which I do regularly), make sure you TIGHTEN those screws at the back really tight!

Failing that, take it Canon like Peter (Edogawakikkoman) said.
T

I've had my Suunto for 4+ years. I'd come to use it as my day time watch as well - so very reliable. Battery runs out every 12-14 months if I use battery heavy functions alot (compass, etc..). Each time, the battery swop is a 30 seccond ordeal and only costs me 100yen.

To Travis' post. my Suunto did get some moisture build up inside the crystal on cold mornings last year - probably from a time i swopped batteries (did not clean/change the orings) I went for the hairdryer treatment and problem disappeared.

If you buy, i know that t6's are going for less than $300 usd in the US (w/o running or cycling attachments). I don't think I'd buy here.

thanks a bunch guys..

sorry for the delayed reply.

just got myself a Garmin Edge705 from Geoman. should be arriving somewhere early of next week.
i've been monitoring the condition of my Polar 625x, it's gradually dying with its screen getting dimmer day by day :(

Edge705 has a built in HRM as well, based on rider's feedback, it seems not as reliable as Polar's. but nevertheless i will try them out first and compare. perhaps on later part get another Polar again.

have a good weekend.

cheers!

I bougth one of Suunto`s new `Core` watches with altimeter, compass, depth, etc, for a six week trip in Australia this past winter. A few weeks into the trip the illuminatiion button stuck in the `on` position, which of course killed the battery. That`s the bad news. I was quite disappointed and as usual skeptical of the whole `Designed in Finland; Made in China` label, as with bicycles, etc. The good news was the customer support: they immediately and unquestioningly replaced the watch with a new one. It could be they`re having so many problems with these watches they`re doing damage control... Anyway good luck with the purchase; I won`t be buying Suunto again, I think. I too am in the market for a HRM. Has anyone tried the new Mavic Wintech units?

I bougth one of Suunto`s new `Core` watches with altimeter, compass, depth, etc, for a six week trip in Australia this past winter. A few weeks into the trip the illuminatiion button stuck in the `on` position, which of course killed the battery. That`s the bad news. I was quite disappointed and as usual skeptical of the whole `Designed in Finland; Made in China` label, as with bicycles, etc. The good news was the customer support: they immediately and unquestioningly replaced the watch with a new one. It could be they`re having so many problems with these watches they`re doing damage control... Anyway good luck with the purchase; I won`t be buying Suunto again, I think. I too am in the market for a HRM. Has anyone tried the new Mavic Wintech units?

hi..

well, i do agree partly that the new Suunto models are no longer as robust as the earlier ones..:(
one of my colleagues actually bought the Suunto t3 series and yes it's stated 'designed in finland, made in china'..
problem is, most manufacturers have gone to china due to cost concern. as a matter of fact, new Polar series even the higher ends are manufactured in China (e.g RS800 series)

For HRM, IMHO i would still place my bet on Polar HRM.
i'm considering the RS800/400 to replace my S625x possibly within the next couple of months. Polar has vast experience with HRM and you'd probably won't go wrong with it.

the Mavic wintech w/HRM is rather new and possibly not many people has experience on it yet..

my two cents.

Back
Top Bottom