Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mongoose

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

trekboy

Warming-Up
Aug 30, 2011
I bought a 2012 Trek FX 7.3 last week from Showa Bicycle Paddock here in Yokosuka. I have 2 problems:

1. I just noticed this week that the (right) optical gear display doesn't reflect the actual gear that I'm in. For example, if I'm on the 2nd gear, the display will show that I'm on the 4th gear. It seems like it's off by 2 gears.

2. Then everytime that I'll try to shift to the 3rd gear it always skips it. If I try to shift to 3rd gear, it will go to either 4th or 5th gear. It just skips it! All other gears are good except for the 3rd gear.

I just need someone to translate this in Japanese so I can tell the guy in the bicycle shop. He doesn't speak english.

Thank you very much.

Before you go back to the shop, make damn sure you know what you are talking about. Shift the rear (right hand) shifter to the top (click it all the way inwards). Does it display position 1 on the shifter?

If not, there is a problem. If it does display position 1, you may be misunderstanding the system.

Click through the gears and assure yourself that there is a mistake.

If you are absolutely certain, take your bike back to the shop you bought it from, do a lot of pointing and shifting of gears, and get them to sort it. You do not need to know any Japanese to do this.

Make sure you are in the right before you head to the shop though, as it can be very embarrassing to take the aggressive stance when you are wrong.

If you don't get anywhere, let us know.

Thanks! Yeas, I did try shifting it back and forth... When I shifted it all the way to the 1st gear the display would show 1st gear but when I go to 2nd gear, the display will not show 2nd gear. So, basically when I go all the way to 8th gear, the dsiplay will only show 6th gear (by the way, this is the farthest that the optical gear will display.)

Also, any thoughts about the bike skipping 3rd gear everytime?

Also, any thoughts about the bike skipping 3rd gear everytime?

the cable is out of adjustment, take it back and show them the problem. They will be able to adjust it for you. Good thing about buying from a LBS is the adjustments and things are part of the after service. This won't need much time to fix and definitely should be free. Just show the guy and he'll see the problem.

Also justwondering what the poll is about as you have left off about a billion bikes better than the ones posted.

Also justwondering what the poll is about as you have left off about a billion bikes better than the ones posted.

Don't worry about the poll. It was stupid! I was just playing with it. I thought I have deleted it but apparently not. I agree, I left out a lot of GREAT bikes!

Hopefully you got your problem sorted.

I highly suspect the problem was with the rear mech's top and bottom adjustment screws. In your case the screw that controls how low the rear mech can go would have been screwed in too far.

Back
Top Bottom