What's new

Places to Live in Tokyo - Cycle Access

Trek DJ

Maximum Pace
Jan 27, 2009
Need some advice from long (or short!) term Tokyo residents.

Basically my current situation is that I live in Kichijoji, and work in Nakano. The positives are that its a 25 min. ride to work, and the general Kichijoji area is very nice! However, for various reasons (mostly roommate related! :) ) I want to move out to a single apt. Long rides are good from my current place as its only an hour ride to the Ome area, however I want to do more midweek 2 hr rides and for rides of that duration the Kichijoji area is awful.

Priorities in my search:

1) Pretty nice area (residential)
2) Bikeable to Nakano, 40min
3) Access to either Tamagawa or Arakawa for short/med rides
4) Relatively easy access to Shibuya/Ebisu/Nakameguro (where i hang out)
5) Affordable area!

Given these, where would you guys recommend living!?! :)

Futako-shinchi

:) Right on the Tamagawa.
:) R246 into Shibuya. Might be a tad more than 40min to Nakano, depending how fast you ride).
:) Cheap because it's in Kawasaki rather than Tokyo.

"Pretty nice" is too subjective for me to answer.

--Mike--

Used to live in the Ryogoku/Kinshicho/Morishita area, and still miss it.

Positives: Surprisingly quiet and affordable considering the close proximity to Tokyo, Akihabara, Ueno. Should be in easy biking range of Nakano. Short rides up the Ryogoku R., Arakawa, Edogawa or down toward the coast. Shitamachi vibe, daily sightings of sumo wrestlers on mama-charis.

Negatives: Not so hip as the Kichijoji area, streetscapes are a bit bland (grid pattern). A long way from the mountains in the west. Likely to be under water when the Next Big Quake hits. :)

Tachikawa...

...is where I am gradually moving to now.

- big station with 3 or 4 lines, where all shinkansen and rapids are stopping
- Chuo-sen - access to Takao, Shinjuku, Tokyo without norikae.
- close to Tamagawa
- mountains! - Yabitsu, Takao, Musashi-Itsukaichi, Ome - all within 15-20km
- some resid.areas are very very nice
- showa kinen koen (5km cycling road), paid access, though

...is where I am gradually moving to now.

- big station with 3 or 4 lines, where all shinkansen and rapids are stopping
- Chuo-sen - access to Takao, Shinjuku, Tokyo without norikae.
- close to Tamagawa
- mountains! - Yabitsu, Takao, Musashi-Itsukaichi, Ome - all within 15-20km
- some resid.areas are very very nice
- showa kinen koen (5km cycling road), paid access, though

I agree with Sergey. I live close to Tachikawa and ride to Tachikawa station everyday to commute, 8Km oneway. You can easily go to Okutama or Yamanashi in one day.

If you need to commute to down town Tokyo by Chuo line, Toyoda or Hino next to Tachikawa is another choice. You may be able to get a seat in the morning which is good for long commuters.:D I commute from Tachikawa st. to Tokyo st. 55minutes.:cool:

Minoru Arai

Chofu!

Lots of green, big parks, 15 mins to Shinjuku, 16 to Shibuya and Tamagawa just on your doorstep.

Thank you for the great info so far....its all very good. I am leaning towards chofu or futakoshinchi at this point.

Tachikawa is too far outta the way! :)

I can't speak to any area on the West side of Tokyo, but I would definitely say stay away from the East side if you plan to do any serious riding.

I just moved out to Edogawa-ku earlier this year and I like the area I live in--all except for cycling! Granted there is quick and easy access to the Arakawa and Edogawa, but one can only ride so long on these wind-swept and flat bicycle paths. It's great for commuting, but unless your training for a flat TT these routes are more boring than sitting on a trainer at home! You have to ride at least 4hrs or hump your bike on the train before you start to see any elevation gain. The occasional 'bump' you may encounter out here is definitely a refreshing site after riding through so much flat land, but nothing compared to the riding to be found on the West side.

I can't speak to any area on the West side of Tokyo, but I would definitely say stay away from the East side if you plan to do any 10km+ climbs.

Fixed this for you. I think "serious riding" has a slightly broader definition. ;)

As there might be no complain about that Kichijoji is one of the best places for you to attain, why don't you make effort to find a single apartment for yourself there? :)

Or, find out your best place by this.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/create

I'm sure you are the only person who knows the place that you like. :D

Massa

Back
Top Bottom