What's new

Pinerello FP2 or Felt F5 ?

Taffmonster

Warming-Up
Mar 2, 2011
FarEast has a prince and a FP3 so i was wondering if he or anyone else had any input.

New bike around the 20~25万 mark is in the pipeline

just went to seo and the Felt sizing seems a little awkward for my size (im 5ft6 and it seems geometry is a bit out for my body size).
While I was there I also saw a beautiful Cannondale SuperSix Hi mod frame in my price range. It seems everyone is raving about cannondale so it might be worth looking into (swapping out the parts from my current bike and building a super six).

I have a Felt F4C (full carbon) from 2006. I'm the same height as you. Got it at the end of season for under 200,000 yen. The geometry is definitely aggressive compared to other bikes I've ridden. And the red paint has faded into a 1960's guitar sunburst effect. Five years later, I still consider it to have been very good value for money.

I'm riding a CAAD9 which is exactly the same geometry as the SuperSix. For me it's a great fitting and performing bike. I can only imagine the SuperSix being even more of a performer. What size frame is it?

The fact I have a Prince and an FP3 should tell you everything you need to know!

Pinarello's are very agressive frame geometeries, I recently built up a Pina for Yair and he couldn't beleive the ride difference between his TREK Madone and the Pina.

If you have never ridden a Asymetrical frame before she will feel a little strange the FP2 isn't as drastic as the Prince but you will feel it, not only that but you'll find the bike a lot more responsive when you accelerate or climb. Pina have the most noticable difference between the left and right side of the frame and haveleadthe way in the technology on this framestyle.

The FP2 is a great bike and is basically the FP3 without some of the little extras, the down tube is not triangular like the FP3 but does share the same angles

The 2011 FP2 is a great bike however I would either try to get the FP3 (Older model and in the same price bracket as the FP2) or save a little more and get the new FP Quatro.

One thing is though is that you won't be tired of the Pina.... very exciting bikes to ride and make great wall hangers when or if you retire them. My wife has absoluetly no issues about me parking them in the living room.

The fact I have a Prince and an FP3 should tell you everything you need to know!

Pinarello's are very agressive frame geometeries, I recently built up a Pina for Yair and he couldn't beleive the ride difference between his TREK Madone and the Pina.

If you have never ridden a Asymetrical frame before she will feel a little strange the FP2 isn't as drastic as the Prince but you will feel it, not only that but you'll find the bike a lot more responsive when you accelerate or climb. Pina have the most noticable difference between the left and right side of the frame and haveleadthe way in the technology on this framestyle.

The FP2 is a great bike and is basically the FP3 without some of the little extras, the down tube is not triangular like the FP3 but does share the same angles

The 2011 FP2 is a great bike however I would either try to get the FP3 (Older model and in the same price bracket as the FP2) or save a little more and get the new FP Quatro.

One thing is though is that you won't be tired of the Pina.... very exciting bikes to ride and make great wall hangers when or if you retire them. My wife has absoluetly no issues about me parking them in the living room.

So i went to ys to see a few bikes close up. Couldnt test ride anything because of the rain but did sit on two. Im pretty much caught between the supersix 105 (standard not hi mod)and the FPquatro. The supersix was nice and light but the reach felt a bit long on the 48. The pinerello fitted me much nicer. I liked the riding posistion. But no bb30 and the quattro is a real porker. 8.5kg is one fat bike. Im torn

The Super Six is a great bike and should be at a heavy discount now with the 2012 Super Six Evo coming out. Try it with a shorter stem. It does have to fit properly or you'll never be happy with it.

AW (Cannondale System Six owner).

4563153914_d889a9c72c_z.jpg

Oh and both were reviewed recently:
Cannondale
Pinarello

The Super Six is a great bike and should be at a heavy discount now with the 2012 Super Six Evo coming out. Try it with a shorter stem. It does have to fit properly or you'll never be happy with it.

AW (Cannondale System Six owner).

4563153914_d889a9c72c_z.jpg

Oh and both were reviewed recently:
Cannondale
Pinarello

thats a nice looking bike there. Im so torn. a small part of me thinks i should get the pinerello just because its gorgeous and then down the road trade in my current bike and get a CAAD10 frame

just had a look on both sites and seems the top tube length on the pinerello and cannondale is the same. both are 51.5cm. maybe the cannondales seat was set back much more or something but it did feel a tad too big. Im 170cm tall so in the SS i will be a 48 and the pinerello is a 46.5

I`m really struggling to see how the reach on the 48 was too long for you, as I`m only 165.5 (don`t forget the .5!) and have a 48 CAAD 9 (so same geometry like Yamabushi pointed out) and I went for a slightly longer stem (110 instead of standard 100) to make it fit how I wanted. You must have very long legs/short torso. Top tube length is irrelevant as it is overall reach that matters - checkout slowtwitch for a definition. The SuperSix is a nice bike and noticeably nicer than the CAAD 10 when I tried it, but as you have probably gathered by now, just love the CAAD 9. Personally, I wouldn`t buy a bike for looks, kinda like marrying a dumb blonde. There are so many bikes out there, ride as many as you can before you start whittling it down. After all, its rainy season so no need to rush buying a bike.

The Pinarello frames are very compact as they are designed around the racing geometry of the Prince with the mind set of having a longer stem than usual.

So this could be why he felt the Pinarello was more comfortable. Also we have no idea the cockpit/Saddle set up that was on the frames.

The Pinarello frames are very compact as they are designed around the racing geometry of the Prince with the mind set of having a longer stem than usual.

So this could be why he felt the Pinarello was more comfortable. Also we have no idea the cockpit/Saddle set up that was on the frames.

FarEast, I was really hoping to ask you about weight ? do you find it an issue with your FP3 ? I will of course change out the crappy shimano wheels for my SRAMS. That should save me some weight but I would like to get down to the 7.5kg area. Do you think its possible with the quattro ?

I`m really struggling to see how the reach on the 48 was too long for you, as I`m only 165.5 (don`t forget the .5!) and have a 48 CAAD 9 (so same geometry like Yamabushi pointed out) and I went for a slightly longer stem (110 instead of standard 100) to make it fit how I wanted. You must have very long legs/short torso. Top tube length is irrelevant as it is overall reach that matters - checkout slowtwitch for a definition. The SuperSix is a nice bike and noticeably nicer than the CAAD 10 when I tried it, but as you have probably gathered by now, just love the CAAD 9. Personally, I wouldn`t buy a bike for looks, kinda like marrying a dumb blonde. There are so many bikes out there, ride as many as you can before you start whittling it down. After all, its rainy season so no need to rush buying a bike.

Thanks for the input. I was surprised too. it might just have been the seat set back, also the top tube was pretty tight to the groin (doable but close). but the pinerello just felt better sized for. Its more feeling than fact but it felt "right" not that the SS didnt it but well ... hard to explain.

The pinerello is pretty but your right, you should never pick a bike based on looks. Im hoping to ride the two to get down to the nitty gritty. but riding the pinerello requires i make a long trip to a different store as my LBS doesnt stock pinerello.

Am i right in thinking that the supersix (105) isnt hi modulus carbon whereas the pinerello is ? i am no carbon expert so i dont know the difference really.

Thanks for the input. I was surprised too. it might just have been the seat set back, also the top tube was pretty tight to the groin (doable but close). but the pinerello just felt better sized for. Its more feeling than fact but it felt "right" not that the SS didnt it but well ... hard to explain. Am i right in thinking that the supersix (105) isnt hi modulus carbon whereas the pinerello is ? i am no carbon expert so i dont know the difference really.

I have about the classic inch over the top tube, the saddle could maybe go back 0.5cm max (I might bring it forward), and as I said, a longer stem than standard), so if you have less room over the top tube, then I`m puzzled.:confused: All the bike shops were trying to size me on a 50 or 52, but I prefer the fit of the 48. I can only think they had a longer stem on it or a setback seatpost, but neither would be standard spec.

If the pina fits better, then that would be the best choice. As for carbon fibre, I am no expert and there is a web of deceit spun by marketing departments over this topic in an attempt to differentiate their bike, usually implying it to be superior. There is an article on calfee you can check out.
http://www.calfeedesign.com/tech-papers/grades-of-carbon-fiber/

I don`t know off-hand whether the SuperSix 105 is high modulus or not. The main thing to remember, it is not the material used (or the grade of carbon fibre) but what the designers do with it that counts. If you are really after the lightest weight, then the Evo is a verified 695/696 grams but I don`t know release date or price. No doubt will be expensive though!

FarEast, I was really hoping to ask you about weight ? do you find it an issue with your FP3 ? I will of course change out the crappy shimano wheels for my SRAMS. That should save me some weight but I would like to get down to the 7.5kg area. Do you think its possible with the quattro ?

More than possible, I had the FP3 down to 7.1kg with full Dura Ace group set and Dura Ace wheels and that's not even the lightest option out there!
By the way the FP Quarto comes out of the EXACT mold as the Pinarello Paris so this means you get the same asymmetric design and the same race-proven geometry that balances stability with agility, stiffness with shock absorption.(Currently being used by Team Sky and other Pro Tour teams sponsored by Pina for certain stage races)

The only difference between the two bikes is that the Quarto is made from slightly heavier and definitely more affordable, 30HM12K carbon-fiber. In layman's terms, that's 30-ton high-modulus carbon-fiber with a 12k weave and looks stunning on the matt carbon finished bike.

You can drop a lot of weight off the bike by switching out the stem, bars and seat post/saddle as the MOst branded products are on the weighty side, they do however do a much lighter 1k carbon range that is super light but comes with a hefty price tag that even the biggest Pina afficidos bulk at.

When people tell you not to go for a bike based on looks I would say it's one of the MAIN reasons to get the bike. I've ridden and raced literally hundreds of bikes and the one reason I keep coming back to the Pinarello range is simply because they are a beautiful bike…. Pieces of art as well as an amazing bike to ride. Also in this day and age of CAD-CAM, wind tunnels and digital stress analysis its near on impossible to design a high end bike that doesn't ride well .

Don't get me wrong… There are many, many other great bikes out there and with the right setup and sizing will be a very comfortable ride but at the end of the day go with what captures the heart and get it sized up and fitted properly and you 'll always have a big smile on your face when you ride it and you'll never regret getting it no matter what the brand and its probably one of the main underlying reason why everyone is recommending certain brands like Cannondale, Felt, ect. Because these are the bikes they originally fell in love with way it looked WAY before they even got it rubber side down.

At the end of the day, go with the heart and get the correct sized frame and fittings and you won't be sorry. If they can't get it to your size walk away and wait for the next head turner.

FACT: The Pinarello Quatro was not named the FP4 due to the Japanese market and the superstition surrounding the number 4.

I for one would be very happy to ride death to a race!

Sorry to chime in with something marginally related: ever heard of Chinarellos, cheap Chinese Pinarello knock-offs? Dogma, Prince, you name it... they come at a bargain price!

http://chinarello.wordpress.com/

Chinarello Build

...looks like brands are no longer the most valuable real estate in the world (in some corner of our minds). I don't need effective communications or appealing logos, nor do I care about "the total experience"; just get me a CHINARELLO :D:D !!

I have about the classic inch over the top tube, the saddle could maybe go back 0.5cm max (I might bring it forward), and as I said, a longer stem than standard), so if you have less room over the top tube, then I`m puzzled.:confused: All the bike shops were trying to size me on a 50 or 52, but I prefer the fit of the 48. I can only think they had a longer stem on it or a setback seatpost, but neither would be standard spec.

If the pina fits better, then that would be the best choice. As for carbon fibre, I am no expert and there is a web of deceit spun by marketing departments over this topic in an attempt to differentiate their bike, usually implying it to be superior. There is an article on calfee you can check out.
http://www.calfeedesign.com/tech-papers/grades-of-carbon-fiber/

I don`t know off-hand whether the SuperSix 105 is high modulus or not. The main thing to remember, it is not the material used (or the grade of carbon fibre) but what the designers do with it that counts. If you are really after the lightest weight, then the Evo is a verified 695/696 grams but I don`t know release date or price. No doubt will be expensive though!

I have relativly short legs in comparison to the rest of my body (at least it seems that way. I will give the cannondale a ride tonight if my LBS has the 48 in. Might have to test ride the CAAD10 (geometry is the same anyhow).

Thanks for the carbon fibre link. it was really interesting. The pinerello is only 12k 30HM (Im guessing the HM means high modulus and the 30 may refer to the MSI but either way its not all that clear) so I guess it aint too stiff but who knows. the ride will show.

More than possible, I had the FP3 down to 7.1kg with full Dura Ace group set and Dura Ace wheels and that's not even the lightest option out there!
By the way the FP Quarto comes out of the EXACT mold as the Pinarello Paris so this means you get the same asymmetric design and the same race-proven geometry that balances stability with agility, stiffness with shock absorption.(Currently being used by Team Sky and other Pro Tour teams sponsored by Pina for certain stage races)

The only difference between the two bikes is that the Quarto is made from slightly heavier and definitely more affordable, 30HM12K carbon-fiber. In layman's terms, that's 30-ton high-modulus carbon-fiber with a 12k weave and looks stunning on the matt carbon finished bike.

You can drop a lot of weight off the bike by switching out the stem, bars and seat post/saddle as the MOst branded products are on the weighty side, they do however do a much lighter 1k carbon range that is super light but comes with a hefty price tag that even the biggest Pina afficidos bulk at.

When people tell you not to go for a bike based on looks I would say it's one of the MAIN reasons to get the bike. I've ridden and raced literally hundreds of bikes and the one reason I keep coming back to the Pinarello range is simply because they are a beautiful bike…. Pieces of art as well as an amazing bike to ride. Also in this day and age of CAD-CAM, wind tunnels and digital stress analysis its near on impossible to design a high end bike that doesn't ride well .

Don't get me wrong… There are many, many other great bikes out there and with the right setup and sizing will be a very comfortable ride but at the end of the day go with what captures the heart and get it sized up and fitted properly and you 'll always have a big smile on your face when you ride it and you'll never regret getting it no matter what the brand and its probably one of the main underlying reason why everyone is recommending certain brands like Cannondale, Felt, ect. Because these are the bikes they originally fell in love with way it looked WAY before they even got it rubber side down.

At the end of the day, go with the heart and get the correct sized frame and fittings and you won't be sorry. If they can't get it to your size walk away and wait for the next head turner.

FACT: The Pinarello Quatro was not named the FP4 due to the Japanese market and the superstition surrounding the number 4.

I for one would be very happy to ride death to a race!

Basically i am spoiled for choice. This bike is a gift from my father in law so no matter what I choose in the end I am going to love riding it. Nothing is better than a free bike after all. The only problem is finding a shop where i can ride one. I really do love the Black Quattro but my LBS doesnt stock them. the only place i saw one was in Y's road in shinjuku.

Sorry for the constant questions but is the FP a harsh ride ? I know its not plush but im planning to do my first century this year, is it going to beat me up ? i dont mind a bit of feedback from the road and i do expect a more aggressive feel but even that should be an improvement on my current alu.

In terms of weight, im not looking for a weight weenie but somewhere around 7.5 kg should be reasonable. I guess that should be easy enough without having to put a lot of money into the bike although it is a whole kilo. I have some parts I can swap out from my current ride to the quattro.

Those chinarellos look lovely and cheap. I was recently looking at some nice 40mm chinese carbon rims. very tempted to build some wheels of my own.

Back
Top Bottom