What's new

Picking up my OCR on Sunday...Roadbike Questions

Alcyone

Warming-Up
Nov 5, 2006
so, this is my first road bike. I have ridden MTB and now I have been using a folding bicycle.

What sort of surfaces can I ride on and what sort of surfaces can I NOT ride on?

I used to use the sidewalks on my folding bicycle. Am I not able to use sidewalks anymore?

just curious. I will be taking the bikes (we got two one for me one for her) on their first trip on Sunday.

Is anyone going riding on that day? I don't want to mess up the bike or break the tires/wheels on bad roads.

Road surfaces

Hello Alcyone, this is Travis.
Ideally, the road is the place for a road-bike, but sometimes other surfaces are unavoidable - I once had to ride 4km down the back side of Mt. Tsukuba; My buddy and I took a wrong turn, and ended up on what we now call "The goat trail". Not even a normal 2-wheel-drive car could make it down there. It would be great on a MTB or in a 4WD vehicle (BTW, we were riding on "Michelin Pro-race, 700x23C" tires, and they stood up well to the rocks, dirt, gravel, streams, and branches).
When riding on the road, the main thing you should look out for are the drains on the side of the road - sometimes there is a groove in them just wide enough for a road-bike tire.
There is really nothing wrong with riding on sidewalks, except that they are SLOW! There are too many bumps, even if there aren't any pedestrians, so you end up sacrificing your bike's potential speed.
When you consider that many professional races are held on cobble-stoned streets, your road-bike should be able to stand up to most surfaces - It's simply better to AVOID the bumpy and rocky areas whenever possible.
Hope this helps!
BTW, I work in Kashiwa on Thursdays, and sometimes I ride there & back on Mito-Kaido (Route 6). It's not a bad road to ride on, except there's a lot of traffic, and it can be kind of narrow in some places.
Rubber down! T

2dsep84.jpg

4i7ce1t.jpg

here it is! It's been great so far!
The Shimano Sora parts are not great, but I can't complain. they work just fine!

here it is! It's been great so far!
The Shimano Sora parts are not great, but I can't complain. they work just fine!

Congratulations on your new bike! The Shimano wheelset looks very nice. Also, keep the bell, you will definitely need it. :)

I hope you will join one of our next tours!

Nice new bike. You can up-grade the sora parts a bit later if needed.

Well done. Its a very fun sport.:)

Nice new bike. You can up-grade the sora parts a bit later if needed.

Well done. Its a very fun sport.:)

I just found out that only the US market OCR3 gets sora. I actually have 2200 level parts.

Are they that bad? I don't seem to have any problems.

Maybe I'll just save money and get 105 when I need it. :warau: anything is better than my folding bicycle.

It was stolen 3 weeks ago. Now I want to thank the dorobo.

Are they that bad? I don't seem to have any problems.
「/QUOTE]

I don't think so, they have enough ability.:D

Maybe I'll just save money and get 105 when I need it. :warau: anything is better than my folding bicycle.

It was stolen 3 weeks ago. Now I want to thank the dorobo.

Take care you new OCR not to be stolen.:warau:

I am looking forward to seeing you in out tour!!

Im sure the sora parts are great. But it is so much fun doing the occassional upgrade. As Sora said buy a good lock and be so careful were you leave it.

happy riding :)

Back
Top Bottom