What's new

Photochromic lenses and riding in the dark

OreoCookie

Maximum Pace
Dec 2, 2017
I will place an order for new cycling glasses soon, and I since I need prescription lenses, this will be an expensive affair. So I thought about getting photochromic lenses (i. e. lenses that darken as the sun light gets more intense) as a quiver killer — they double as sun glasses and I can use them also when it is darker. But since they do absorb more light than regular lenses, I was wondering whether you can ride them in the dark (which I do a lot, all my training rides during the week is in the dark). Does any of you have experience with them?

PS Contact lenses are not an option, and the clip-on solutions I have seen have a way too small field of view for my taste.

I used to work in an opticians and whenever we sold transitions lenses we would tell the customers that they're not as good in very low light as regular clear lenses. Not a problem for most people in most situations but we did have a guy who was a night-time security guard who said he couldn't wear them when he was doing his rounds with a torch because it was too dark. Be aware that this was about 9 years ago so the technology may have improved.

I use them cause I do a lot of pre dawn training and so the y are good for using in the changing light. I've been very happy with them.

I have a set of Rudy project.

I have a pair of Oakley with a dark lens. I swapped the lens for a cheapo Chinese photochromic lens and have worn them pre dawn (almost never) and after sunset (many a time) when I've been doing long rides. There is a very tiny difference between wearing them and wearing nothing but it is almost indistinguishable.
I wore mine all through the night when we did a night start on a coast to coast ride and they were perfect.

@theBlob
Did you buy the Rudy Project glasses in Japan? Did you get non-Asian fit frames?

@leicaman
That's good to hear. Looks like I'll be getting photochromic lenses then. Let's see if I can find a frame then …

I forget.. my wife bought them for my birthday so she probably got them here.
I have quite a large bridge on my nose and they still fit fine, I'm not sure they have a big enough presence to make specific frames. The adjuster for the nose can be adjusted for different nose shapes.
They have em in Nalsima so you could pop in and try them on. That's what I did before receiving them.

@theBlob
Did you buy the Rudy Project glasses in Japan? Did you get non-Asian fit frames

I commute on my bike out in the country all the time at night and wear contacts so I need the protection from bugs.

I first had a pair of Rudy Projects with photochromic lenses that were great until my new puppy ate them. The transition range on those glasses made them perfect for riding in both bright sunlight and late night rides.

I replaced them with a pair of Kask Koo glasses since I have a Kask helmet. They are better for riding since they have much larger lenses and work better with the helmet, but the transition range isn't quite as good as the RPs. Still, I have no problem wearing them on my night rides.

They have em in Nalsima so you could pop in and try them on. That's what I did before receiving them.
Are you talking about this store? Did you have to buy the prescription lenses from there?

(I tried most eye wear shops here in Sendai with no success, there is one more shop I would like to try. But it might be I have to buy glasses while on a business trip in Tokyo …)

Not all photochromic lenses are the same.

From what % to what % do they change?

I have some prescription Rudy ones that don't have photochromic lenses but I've stopped wearing them. I prefer contacts with sunnies.

The Oakley I have with photochromic lenses are great. I was just talking about them on a ride today with someone who had just got the same lense.

I'm not going back.

That's a good point. One store only offers Hoya lenses, and while they are alright (not as good as Zeiss lenses or so), I have no idea how their photochromic lenses compare to others.

Not all photochromic lenses are the same.

From what % to what % do they change?

I have some prescription Rudy ones that don't have photochromic lenses but I've stopped wearing them. I prefer contacts with sunnies.

The Oakley I have with photochromic lenses are great. I was just talking about them on a ride today with someone who had just got the same lense.

I'm not going back.

Darragh and I were just talking about this. Can't fault the Oakley photochromatic lenses that I recently bought.

Back
Top Bottom