What's new

Philip 'no mates' - Feb 24

Philip

Speeding Up
Feb 15, 2007
I plan to ride 160km+ on Saturday Feb 24 - but I have no friends :eek:

Anyone interested in joining me? I'm happy to fall in with others plans or can take responsibility for organizing the route.

If you want to tackle hills all day I'm up for that as well - we can cut the mileage accordingly.

Cheers,

Philip

Sorrry Philip!

I have plans with a lady this Saturday!
But I'll be starting my "hill-climb training" regime at the beginning of March.
Hope some other people can join you for this weekend though!
Rubber down! T

I have plans with a lady this Saturday!
But I'll be starting my "hill-climb training" regime at the beginning of March.
Hope some other people can join you for this weekend though!
Rubber down! T

Lady??? What her name? Ms Marlboro :p :p

Back to the tour - sounds good! where and when?

Gruss
Christoph

Where? When?

Hi Christoph,

Great. I'll get back to you this afternoon with some suggestions. Ms Marlboro - very funny :D

Travis - sorry you cannot join - damn good excuse though! I will look forward to hill training in March

Cheers,

Philip

Hi

I would like to come but you know the drill, I don't want to slow you guys down. As long as you are aware that I won't be riding as fast as you guys and this is my second ride in 8 months but you don't have to wait for me. I will get to the end and if time is a problem I will get to the nearest train station and get back home. So if you guys are Ok with this I am in.

Any way I will be getting my road bike sooner, hopefully that will help, I hope.

Route Suggestion

Hi Christoph & Donny,

I propose we ride out and around Lake Yamanakako at the foot of Mount Fuji. The distance is a little over 200KM out and back. We can meet near the junction of the 20 (from Tokyo) and 16 (from Yokohama). About 30KM from both start points. This point is the beginning of a loop around Yamanakako and where we will say goodbye 140KM later. I can map this out accurately and fix the schedule if you agree to the overall route.

I suggest we start early in order to get back in daylight. There is an excellent onsen called Beni Fuji at Yamanakako. At lunch time we can take an onsen and eat there.

Let me know your thoughts?

Donny, your very welcome to join under the conditions you have set. Please note: even on a road bike, this will be a challenging ride!

Cheers,

Philip

Hi Again

Thanks. I understand and like I said I will find my way home don't worry. BTW- I think I am going to get a Cannondale CAAD tomorrow in a store near here (not decided yet). I have not done road biking at all but wanting to do this for a long time - Going to take a test ride tomorrow and see. Well I know buying a road bike doesn't mean I can keep up with you guys but like my dad used to say "buying a guitar does not make you a rock start - but that is a good starting point" :p Anyone knows about CAAD?

sounds good - will be there (whereever it is - but it try to find it out:) )

@donny: i like the canondale - but which caad? some of them are more for japanese hill climbers than for use:rolleyes: .... but nice

Thanks. I understand and like I said I will find my way home don't worry. BTW- I think I am going to get a Cannondale CAAD tomorrow in a store near here (not decided yet). I have not done road biking at all but wanting to do this for a long time - Going to take a test ride tomorrow and see. Well I know buying a road bike doesn't mean I can keep up with you guys but like my dad used to say "buying a guitar does not make you a rock start - but that is a good starting point" :p Anyone knows about CAAD?

Donny,
Cannondales are nice. The rear part of my System Six is the same as the latest CAAD frame. The design of seatstays they use makes it quite comfortable (you will still feel the bumps, but the edge is taken off). The power transfer is excellent. The bike leaps forward when you stomp on the pedals.
Also, I've found the build quality to be good. One of the reasons I bought the System Six is that I have a 13 year old Cannondale R400 (now relegated to commuting duty) which has never given me any trouble at all. Plus the lifetime warranty is reassuring.
AW.

I plan to ride 160km+ on Saturday Feb 24 - but I have no friends :eek:

Anyone interested in joining me? I'm happy to fall in with others plans or can take responsibility for organizing the route.

If you want to tackle hills all day I'm up for that as well - we can cut the mileage accordingly.

Cheers,

Philip

Philip,
I have to pass on this Saturday's ride. Should be able to ride next weekend if you're interested.
AW.

Yamanakako Run

Christoph & Donny,

We can meet a little closer than I previously suggested.

1) Take Route 16 out of Yokohama for about 15KM.

2) Continue on Route 16 under Tomei Expressway

3) Continue on Route 16 across Route 246 (1KM after Tomei Expressway) (If coming from Tokyo on the 246 turn right onto Route 16)

4) On Route 16, 400 meters after crossing Route 246, before you cross over a railway line turn left to Minami Machida train station (Tokyu Den-entoshi Line which comes from Shibuya Station out of Tokyo)

6) Meet at the front of Minami Machida station next to the AM/PM Convenience store

7) We will meet at 8:00AM and leave 8:15AM

8) We will continue up Route 16 until Hashimoto where we will take a left turn onto Route 413 past Shiroyama Dam (this is where things turn pretty and hilly)

9) After 10KM we will bear right onto Route 412 into Sagamiko

10) From Sagamiko we will follow Route 20 for 30KM until Otsuki where we turn left onto Route 139

11) We follow Route 139 until a T-Junction where we turn left onto Route 138

12) We follow Route 138 to Yamanakako Lake where we stop for a quick onsen and lunch at Beni Fuji (we should arrive around 12:00PM)

13) Back on the road by 1:00PM following Route 138 for 3KM until Route 138 turns sharp right to leave the lake.

14) Do NOT turn right on Route 138. Follow Route 413 which continues around the lake.

15) Follow Route 413 for 60KM all the way back to Route 16 past Shiroyama Dam.

16) Turn right on Route 16 back to Minami Machida station to arrive by 5:00PM

Can you check this on your maps and ask any questions by tomorrow afternoon.

I will send you my mobile telephone number by private mail. Can you send me your mobile numbers by private mail (do not publish them here).

Cheers,

Philip

Alan . . .

Sorry you cannot make it . . . we will report back afterwards :)

Cheers,

Philip

Christoph & Donny

Check your Private Messages (top right) :susp:

Cheers,

Philip

Hi Phil,

Do you have a map of the course?

I can't join you for this ride, but would love to see where you guys are going.

I can only ride this Sunday and may even do your course. I tried to find Yamanakako on Google earth but it sent me to the America :warau:

Goodluck Tomorrow

Paul

Lake Saiko is exactly a 10km circuit. We have a race there every November. Do a few laps of that if you get the chance just in case you want to try the race. Anti-clockwise and it's very safe.

There is a bat infested lava cave there which is a nice little geography lesson also.

There is also a great spot about 2km before the lava cave that has a great view of Mt. Fuji over looking the lake. I believe this is the same view that was on the old 5000 yen note.

I booked into a log cabin there about 3 years ago with my visiting father and it was nice in the cool 1000m above sea level summer....

'No Mates' Tour Map

Christoph, Donny, Charles & Paul,

I have attached a link to a map of the route. I mapped the start point from Tokyo (Route 246 / Kanana Dori intersection) and end point in Yokohama (Yokohama Station) as members live in both Cities. To the meeting point at Minami Machida Station on Route 16 from Tokyo is 24KM and from Yokohama Station 17KM (meeting time is 8:00AM)

http://www.mapmyrun.com/route/japan/tokyo/256502971

You can download a Google Earth KMZ file by creating an account and clicking 'save as' into your account (sorry could not upload the file from my computer)

NOTE: Edogawakikkoman makes an important point - you will be riding at a higher altitude than Tokyo/Yokohama so it will be a degree or two colder :eek:

Christoph has confirmed. I have NOT had confirmation from Donny. Chazzer TBD. Paul (Fluro2au) sorry you cannot ride on Saturday. Hope the map helps Sunday.

NHK say tomorrows weather in Tokyo is SUNNY :cool: Yeah baby!

Let me know if you have any issues,

Cheers,

Philip

Awesome course, Philip!

I just looked at the map, and it's very close the area I plan to be doing the mountain training in.
I've never done the course you set, but I have thought about it many, many times! I've ALWAYS wanted to ride route.413!! But never actually made it.
Even just on the map, it looks GREAT!
Unfortunately, I really can't make it this time! I'll be riding some different mountains/slopes with "Ms Marlboro" (Hats off, cinelli!).
Hope you all have a great day! Travis

Hi Phil,

I just looked at your map. I'm in.

I can't miss this ride, it looks too good. However, I still can't workout where to meet you guys. I've got a Tokyo City Atlas guide in front of me so I'll keep trying.
If anyone could help me between now and tomorrow morning that would be great.
Hopefully I'll see you guys in the morning

Paul

Guys, take care and good luck!
きをつけてねぇ~。いってらっしゃ~い!:happy:

Back
Top Bottom