What's new

Philip 'no mates' - Feb 24

"Mo Mates" Unofficial Tour Full Report!

An epic:
> 220KM (250KM for Paul) from Tokyo / Yokohama to Mount Fuji and back
> An elevation gain of 1KM (twice the height of the worlds tallest building)
> 9 hours of cycling at an average speed of 24.2KPH
> Maximum recorded speed of 60.5KPH :D (Philip's computer)

Main Characters (in order of appearance):
> Philip (Philip)
> Charles (Chazzer)
> Paul (Fluro2au)
> Christoph (Cinelli) - The Cruise missile

Route map: http://www.mapmyrun.com/route/japan/tokyo/256502601

Tokyo > Hashimoto
Charles, Paul and I met in Tokyo and followed Route 246 out across the Tamagawa River where Mount Fuji could be seen crystal clear in the hard blue sky. The snow capped peak marked our destination 120KM in the distance. At Minami Machida station (Den-entoshi line) at the intersection of Route 246 and Route 16 we met Christoph who rode up from Yokohama.

We departed at 8:15AM heading north on a windy and busy Route 16. Christoph assumed position at the front to punch a hole through the wind as only Christoph can. His steady rhythmic pace was only interrupted by the litter of traffic lights. At Hashimoto we turned left on Route 413 and immediately left the noise of urban Tokyo behind us.

Hashimoto > Otsuki
We crossed Shiroyama Dam, through a series of rolling hills and down the long sweep into Sagamiko - fantastic! Christoph and Paul had dissappeared into the distance. Like two schoolboys, they were enjoying the 10:00AM morning sunshine on Sagamiko bridge when Charles and I caught back up.

At Sagamiko we turned left onto Route 20. This revealed a wonderful set of fast curves and with few cars we were able to fully explore them. Christoph and Paul got down to the business of reaching Otsuki. I tagged on the back and hung on as best I could. The wind had lost its intensity and we could enjoy the warmth of the morning sunshine.

However, by the time we had reached Otsuki it had become cloudy and colder. I think we were all beginning to feel a little tiredness creeping in. Though the gain in altitude was not obvious you could feel it increasingly working against you.

Otsuki > Yamanakako
At Otsuki we turned left onto Route 139. The roads here were eroded from the winter weather and the rising incline was now obvious. We crossed the 100KM point around 12:00PM. We were 20KM behind schedule and away from Yamanakako where we would have lunch. Fatigue was now obvious in both Charles and I. Charles decided to take one of the last opportunities to board a train. He did not want to slow the group down as was a real gentleman.

Route 139 became a straight asphalt line rising steeply to the horizon and the foot of a massively impressive Mount Fuji. It was awe inspiring (see Pauls photos http://fluro2au.blogspot.com ). Christoph and Paul were also dissapearing fast towards the horizon ahead of me. It seemed to take an eternity to reach the T-junction where we turned left onto Route 138 and the home run to Yamanakako and lunch. It was now 2:00PM. We headed straight into Denny's and ordered everything on the menu which Paul then covered 1CM deep in salt. Delicious :D

Yamanakako > Hashimoto
It had taken us 7 hours from Tokyo including breaks. I had seriously underestimated the impact of the gain in elevation on our speed. Paul needed to be back in Tokyo by 6:00PM. How long would it take us to get back to Tokyo / Yokohama? No one had ridden the route back before. Logically it had to be downhill to Tokyo / Yokohama. But that sounded too good to be true. So we left the comfort of Denny's at 3:00PM in some trepidation.

We carried on following Route 138 around the lake before joining Route 413. At the end of the lake Route 413 climbs into the hills that surround the lake. Predictably I was immediately dropped by Christoph and Paul. After only a short climb you reach the peak of the hills around Yamanakako. Christoph was waiting patiently for me. Paul was pushing ahead to get back to Tokyo. The valley is truely beautiful and the road has only a few cars. We could see the road twisting away beneath us.

For the next 50KM we rode downhill! The road twists and turns its way down a beautiful deep valley. Christoph is a real professional. He led me down the whole way following a perfect line through the bends. All I had to do was stay on his wheel. It was the perfect ride. We were easily averaging 40KPH through the bends and I clocked 60KPH somewhere. Fantastic! (Thank you Christoph).

We found a frustrated Paul at the bottom experiencing some map reading challenges. Again Christoph took the lead and 'charged' through the increasing traffic to the junction of Route 16 and Route 413 at Hashimoto.

Hashimoto > Tokyo
Christoph continued the charge through a congested Route 16. It was high adrenaline riding on tired legs. Darkness fell as we reached the junction of Route 16 and Route 246 where we said goodbye to Christoph who would return to Yokohama. Paul and I continued along a hilly Route 246 back into Tokyo. I reached home at 6:45PM. Less than 4 hours riding from Yamanakako. It has taken me longer by car :D

Conclusion
If I did it again I would ride up and back down Route 413 - it is that good. You have long hours in the saddle and a lot of climbing so it is not all fun and laughter - but it is ultimately very rewarding. I was lucky to have some very good mates on the 'no mates' tour. Thank you Christoph, Paul and Charles.

Thats quality Phil, great report.

You forgot to mention Christoph's inability to change gears all day. He managed to do the whole ride in his big chain ring :eek:

paul

Man or machine?

I agree Paul. Christoph is an exceptionally gifted rider. That comes into sharp focus on a tough ride e.g., Saturday to Mount Fuji. It's not just his power. He puts that power down with elegance - his bike handling skills and posture are sublime.

Coming down the now infamous Route 413 from Yamanakako was a real riding skills lesson for me. If I did not follow his line precisely I would find myself 5 meters back out of the bend.

His timing was also faultless. I sometimes felt we were entering the corner a little slow, but by the apex Christoph was already accelerating and we would be at full speed on the exit. Again, if I entered the bend any faster than Christoph I would find myself 5 meters back the other side of the exit.

And if there was an uphill incline on the exit and I had screwed up the bend then Christoph would quickly put 100 meters between us as he morphed into hill climbing mode.

All that without expending any more energy than I was using. Amazing!

Therefore Paul, you should be extremely proud of your performance on Saturday. Not many people would be able to stay in touch with Christoph (except by telephone maybe :D )

Having said all that (and provide an appropriate degree of perspective) we would kick his butt in the swim and run!!! Next time we should include a swim across Lake Yamanakako :cool:

Cheers,

Philip

hello philip, hello paul

please cool down, otherwise i get a blushed :)
but also thanks for the flowers but i can promise
you that my form get worse day by day.....

so keep cool and wait untill summer then I should pretty slow...

and philip you won't get my into the water - not for swiming maybe
for a niche bath

Just checking...

I'd been meaning to ask:
Christoph, you always wear the team colors of "Euskaltel-Euskadi".
Did you buy that stuff in a shop, or is it actual "team-issue"?
Is there something you're not telling us??:rolleyes:
T

I'd been meaning to ask:
Christoph, you always wear the team colors of "Euskaltel-Euskadi".
Did you buy that stuff in a shop, or is it actual "team-issue"?
Is there something you're not telling us??:rolleyes:
T

hey trevis
there is no "team issue" - they only hire euskadian cyclist -
basically it's only colormatching to my frame :D :D
so i had to by it.....

see you
christoph

Back
Top Bottom