What's new

Philip 'no mates' - Feb 24

Hi Phil,

I just looked at your map. I'm in.

I can't miss this ride, it looks too good. However, I still can't workout where to meet you guys. I've got a Tokyo City Atlas guide in front of me so I'll keep trying.
If anyone could help me between now and tomorrow morning that would be great.
Hopefully I'll see you guys in the morning

Paul

:) the seame for me....
I think that a plan arround 2 hours for getting there :) - for 17k of searching it should be enough....

I've never done the course you set, but I have thought about it many, many times! I've ALWAYS wanted to ride route.413!! But never actually made it. Even just on the map, it looks GREAT!

Sora-san and I rode Route 413 together, returning from the International Fuji Hill Climb last October. I can confirm that it is one of the most beautiful and (cycling-wise) attractive routes "around" Tokyo. :)

Unfortunately, I cannot join you guys tomorrow due to work.

Map

Hi Phil,

I just looked at your map. I'm in.

I can't miss this ride, it looks too good. However, I still can't workout where to meet you guys. I've got a Tokyo City Atlas guide in front of me so I'll keep trying.
If anyone could help me between now and tomorrow morning that would be great.
Hopefully I'll see you guys in the morning

Paul

Paul,
PM me your email address and I'll send you a map screenshot in English.
AW

I think I can help!

I'm not even going, but as a bit of a map-maestro, I feel obliged!

Coming from Tokyo: Head towards Shibuya - Your 2 choices of roads are Aoyama-dori (246) from Akasaka-mitsuke, and Roppongi-dori (412) from Tameike-sanno.
Both of these roads connect just before they reach Shibuya, and that road is the main artery out of Tokyo - 246. Go straight on that road, 10km out of Shibuya, and you'll cross "Tama-gawa (river)". Keep going for another 15km until you hit Rte.16! That's your meeting place!

Coming from Yokohama, just jump on Rte.16, and follow it out - it can't be more than 15km! Just stay on that road until you see the main intersection for 246!

It's a seriously big intersection, with a huge bridge; (246), heading SW, passes over (16), heading NE.
Hope you all find your way!
Rubber down! T

Hi

Guys, I won't be able to make tomorrow. I need to attend to somethng urgent at office. Sorry.

Paul ...

Do you know where Komazawa Daigaku station is? 3 stops outside Shibuya on the Den-entoshi line. From Shibuya you follow Route 246 under Expressway 3. You will pass 1) Ikejiri Ohashi 2) Sangenjaya 3) Komazawa Daigaku. I can meet you outside Komazawa Daigaku station at 6:30AM. It's easy ...

What do you think?

Philip

PS - sorry for late reply just back from swim training

Christoph . . .

Christoph, are you OK?

Follow Route 16 out of Yokohama (there are many sign posts).

Keep going until you reach a LARGE expressway (autobahn). Carry on up Route 16 for another kilometer.

Now you cross Route 246 - another large road. 400 meters across turn left to Minami Machida station.

Use the google map to look at the detail of this area.

Cheers,

Philip

Donny . . .

I am sorry to hear you cannot join us. Next time. Thanks for letting me know.

Cheers,

Philip

'No Mates' Tour Final Roll Call

Final Roll Call is 4

Philip, Chazzer & Fluro2au will ride down together from Tokyo.

Cinelli will find his way from Yokohama.

Meet at Minami Machida station at 8:00AM

NHK report (20:00hrs today) that the weather is going to be SUNNY :cool:

Life is good :D

Cheers,

Philip

very nice round!!!! at least the 413 is really great - next time we go that way up :D
let's wait and see when we get the first reply out of tokyo....

cheers christoph

What a day in the saddle,

I think the pommie bastard underestimated how long it would take. :p :p

Only joking Phil. Thanks for organising this truely epic adventure. It was one of the best training sessions I have ever done.

Looking forward to the next one.

Don't know how to post pics but here is a link to my blogger with some photos

http://fluro2au.blogspot.com/

Time to go and eat again

fluro

Bale Out!

Paul,

Reading your comments makes me feel a little better about baling out at the half way mark ! If that was a big day for you then I feel reasonably good about getting to where I did !

Anyway caught the little train down to Otsuki and then to Tachikawa where I was feeling good enough again to jump off and ride home along Tamagawa. The wind was incredible in parts but on my shoulder for some too so quite unpredictable.

Managed 150k for the day at an average of 23. I would like to try that again but next time take the train to Hashimoto at the end of the Keio line and start from there. That might be better for me.

Anyway - great day guys and I hope I didn`t slow you down too much. Thanks again to Phil for organising and to Christophe for sitting at the front in the wind - it was a great help !!

Charles

You did well Charles.

It was tough climb. It took us another 2hrs of climbing after we left you. The hill just went on and on.

Christoph is an animal on the bike. He rode his big chain ring the whole day and was still punching at the end.

I finally made it home at around 7:30pm. :D Made to the bosses suprise birthday party and I was full as a fat ladies sock after one beer.

Looking forward to catching up with you guys again soon.

fluro

Thank you!

Christoph, Paul and Charles,

Thank you for making Saturday such a wonderful ride. It will stay in my memory for a long time. You always placed others of less ability before your exceptional talents. I cannot thank you enough.

Loved the pictures - especially Paul hoisting his bike above his head in defiance of Fuji-san! It was a fantastic moment. The fact it was followed by the most amazing descent - 60KM of downhill where I clocked over 60KPH - speaks for itself.

I apologize for my post ride silence. I was up at 6:00AM this morning for a 35KM run and then needed to attend a party in the afternoon. I'm beat and going to bed. Tomorrow I will write the 'ride report' for others.

You have made a very average cyclist very happy. I am even more pleased you were able to enjoy yourselves.

Thanks,

Philip

PS - just in case Fuji-san is listening: WE WILL BE BACK!

By Philip "I apologize for my post ride silence. I was up at 6:00AM this morning for a 35KM run and then needed to attend a party in the afternoon. I'm beat and going to bed. Tomorrow I will write the 'ride report' for others."

Maybe I forgot about and never mentioned before
you are m*d :D :D
to get up at 6am might work but I prefered my smoth cycling trip today instead
of nearly an marathon run.....

I am just planing an trip for next weekend - I still have to give back the favour for the realy nice trip (and a little bit more)

cheers
christoph

Christoph & Paul . . . a training question from Saturday

Hi Christoph & Paul,

Can you give me the benefit of your experience. The reason I cycle is to get stronger and faster for triathlon.

I was thinking about Christoph's comments regarding riding 'up' the 413. From a cycle training (getting stronger & faster) perspective, what do think of the following idea?

I drive my car to the bottom of the 413 climb (where Paul was having some challenges navigating the 413 & 412 :angel: ). From there I ride to Yamanakako and back down on the 413.

Here is the challenge: When I get back to the bottom I turn around and ride back up the 413 until I run out of time. Maybe I make it a quarter of the way backup. The following week I do the same - this time I have to get further up before returning. And so on . . .

It seems like the perfect training. A beautiful road with few cars. A long, long uphill ride to build strength (potentially double the elevation gain of Saturday). A fast downhill descent to build speed and skill. No wasted training time cutting through traffic.

What do you think. Are there better ways to improve???

Cheers,

Philip

PS - One other benefit is that if there are two or more riders, a faster rider does not have to wait for a slower rider. He will pass the slower rider coming the opposite direction. They will still finish the day at the around the same time.

I would pick a shorter climb and do repeats.

This would be more IM specific to the course you'll be racing. Throwing in a long climb like the 413 would be good occassionally but not regularly. Mainly because the climb is just too long to target getting stronger. Doing repeats of say a 5-6k climb will give you some recovery time and therefore you'll be able to hit it harder. Riding a straight 40+k climb won't allow you to do this. You'll get stronger but not a fast a doing shorter climbs with recoveries.

On shorter climbs you can mix things up by inserting periods of bigger gear work, standing up, TT etc.

Does that help?

Paul

Interval Training

Hi Paul,

This makes complete sense. The best path to improving my performance is focusing on interval training to build strength and speed, backed up with a long endurance ride on the weekend (which should presumably include sections at race pace).

Therefore, I apply the same principles as those I use for running.

Thank you,

Philip

Prpes foir IMjapan

This is how I plan to build up to IMjapan

I work on a 3 week cycle (2 weeks build, 1 week recovery with testing)

I focus on two BT sessions PW on the bike (BT = breakthrough session that will focus on my limiters)

1. Long bike (5-7hrs)
During base phase I focus on just going the distance and I'll insert a little fartlek type TTing in the last 2-3 hrs of the ride. When I'm TTing I always use the lower end of my IMefforts. As I move into the build period I start doing more IM specific TTing. It will start out with 40min TT and I'll eventually build up to 5 x 40min TT.
Between now and Japan I'll also do 2 x 180k race sim rides in full kit to ensure pacing and nutrition is on target.
The key to riding well in a IM is having the ability to hold back and not ride to your full ability. In other words you have to ride easy enough to run well and that means holding back alot on the bike unfortunately :cool:

2. Medium bike (3-5hrs). This is split into an AM/PM ride as I don't get enough time to during the week to do this in one session. I generally do this on a Wednesday.
I'll push the pace a little more in this ride and do 10-20min TT's slightly abve race effort and alot of BG work which is good for climbing. I really try to tire myself out here with a solid ride in the morning followed by another solid ride in the afternoon with a 40-1hr run off the bike.

3. I'll do another 2-3 sessions in the 1.5-2hr range as purely aerobic training rides. No intervals, BG etc. Just ride small chain focusing on efficiency. Gotta get good at riding low hrs.

All up I'll aim for around 10-15hrs PW on the bike. I'm alwayts weary of doing too much intensity when it comes to IM training. The recovery costs are too great and it reduces my ability to train more. IM training is about going the distance. People tend to focus too much on how hard they can train and as a result can't get the MINIMUM volume in to go the distance. Only 2 focused bikes sessions a week doesn't appear to be much, but when you start knocking out some k's in the pool and the run you'll soon see how much it acutally is.

Hope that helps

Paul

Thanks For Sharing . . .

Paul,

It really has helped. It is very kind of you to take the time to answer my questions so fully. I am very lucky to be able to speak to someone with first hand experience.

Cheers,

Philip

PS - I should probably start a new thread in 'General Discussion' before Thomas has to step in :D

Back
Top Bottom