Phew, that was a close shave.

leicaman

Maximum Pace
Sep 20, 2012
Asakadai, Saitama
Okay, so "my friend" is thinking of taking the plunge and shaving his legs. He asked me to ask you guys what the best way to do it is. Should he just use a razor? Or is it easier with an electric shaver? If so, should he get one with the clippers on the side, too? He would really appreciate any advice.

kiwisimon

Maximum Pace
Dec 14, 2006
Japan
With a new razor blade for each leg after a hot bath and shave with the grain (away from important bits), watch the back of the knee " my friend" always used to cut himself there.

Sikochi

Maximum Pace
Sep 13, 2010
Kochi
This is the way to do it:-

Chris Boardman believes shaving your legs can improve a rider's aerodynamics.
"You can shave in a certain way so that you leave your legs rough down the front edge but smooth at the side, creating an aerodynamic effect.

Aerodynamics is really important. Human beings are a really crappy shape – a collection of tubes ostensibly – and 90% of the energy you produce on a bike goes towards pushing the air out of the way, so anything you can do to reduce drag has got to be a good thing."​

Yamabushi

Maximum Pace
Jun 1, 2010
Tokyo (Nezu)
fudoushin.com
This is the way to do it:-

Chris Boardman believes shaving your legs can improve a rider's aerodynamics.
"You can shave in a certain way so that you leave your legs rough down the front edge but smooth at the side, creating an aerodynamic effect.​
Aerodynamics is really important. Human beings are a really crappy shape – a collection of tubes ostensibly – and 90% of the energy you produce on a bike goes towards pushing the air out of the way, so anything you can do to reduce drag has got to be a good thing."​
LOL! The aero benefit is questionable at best. Road rash on the other hand...

Sheep

Maximum Pace
Jul 27, 2009
Tokyo
Clip first, shave with the grain, unless you don't have a new blade in which case nothing impressive will happen until you shave against the grain, probably cutting yourself and getting ingrown hairs too.

Trust me, I used to "tread the boards".