What's new

My Bike Peugeot PY10

Full 531--tubes, stays, fork. Stronglight crankset, Simplex FD/RD & shifters, and it was 2 x 5 for a "10-speed". It originally had Mafac centerpulls, and the original headset was silver. French thread/sizes everywhere. When I got it back to the US, I had to catalog-order tires, since 700c clinchers were something new (the similar PX10 had sew-ups). It had a Silca pump that would pop in along the seat tube between BB and top (which was also usable as a baton when fending off farm dogs). No bottle bosses. Large flange hubs (known to ride harder, IIRC), and also tied spokes--very stiff. It was an off-the-shelf purchase--I didn't know French.

I thought I was going to ride to Spain, but gave up after about a week. Hopped a train in Angers back to Paris.

Reactions: TCC
Is that how brakes used to be mounted? I think I would have to break my wrists to use those ;)

Set for always being on top, never in the drops. The same on my Trek, on the left:

P1000356.jpg

Looks good; I hope that it is enjoying a happy middle age somewhere.

Is that a wireless speedometer on the handlebar? (I don't know when they came in, but I'd have thought it would have been less than 20 years ago.)

@microcord Wired. You can see the wire going down the stem and head, and it goes on down via the BB to the rear stay, where you can kind of see a sensor attached. Then just below that is the spoke-mounted magnet:

Untitled.jpg

I guess I had this up to about 20 years ago. My first real bike, bought in '76 just down the street from the Arch in Paris:

py10-jpg.11246

This is how such bars were more typically set up:

Full 531--tubes, stays, fork. Stronglight crankset, Simplex FD/RD & shifters, and it was 2 x 5 for a "10-speed". It originally had Mafac centerpulls, and the original headset was silver. French thread/sizes everywhere. When I got it back to the US, I had to catalog-order tires, since 700c clinchers were something new (the similar PX10 had sew-ups). It had a Silca pump that would pop in along the seat tube between BB and top (which was also usable as a baton when fending off farm dogs). No bottle bosses. Large flange hubs (known to ride harder, IIRC), and also tied spokes--very stiff. It was an off-the-shelf purchase--I didn't know French.

I thought I was going to ride to Spain, but gave up after about a week. Hopped a train in Angers back to Paris.

Py 10 are really something special

Back
Top Bottom