What's new

Pedals

Yair

Maximum Pace
Nov 10, 2009
I'm currently using Shimano 105 clipless pedals.
What will be an upgarde option, in terms of performence and, yes, weight...?

currently the lightest pedals on the market are the TIME RXS in carbon..... .same ones I use.

Dura-Ace on my commute/trainer ans Speedplay on the good bike.

I like the Speedplay but took a while to wear them in so that they became easy to use.

I'm currently using Shimano 105 clipless pedals.
What will be an upgarde option, in terms of performence and, yes, weight...?

You should first decide whether SPD or other systems. There was a recent pretty comprehensive thread on this topic here on the forum.

I'd just keep the 105s

But if you want to keep the same cleats, then you can upgrade to Ultegra or Dura Ace. I run Ultegra pedals on my bikes as to me it is not worth the extra yen to save about the weight of a packet of gum. But I am not a weight weenie.:D But there is hardly any difference between the weight of 105s and Ultegra.

From the Shimano website:

105: 322 grams
Ultegra: 317 grams
Dura Ace: 278 grams

Keren

Like Ludwig said.. decide on the system you want to use first.

Personally, I like Speedplay pedals. I switched years ago and haven't thought about going back. (I have thought about buying SPD pedals to use the Shimano RT80 shoes - comfortable walking shoes are tempting.)

Weight is not an issue for me, but a pair of Speedplay Zeros (titanium) weigh in at 164 grams and cleats weigh and additional 140 grams. (The X series is lighter, but I'm not sure they sell those in Japan.)

Ultegra is the best choice for all your parts.

Go to Ultegra. It's cheap(Not cheap actually) and performance is nothing different with Dura-ace/Mavic/Time/etc in my view. Just a bit difference like weight, but it's just nothing(50g? :warau: pay your money for more important parts) and you don't need to be sensitive with that. ;)

Kimm I would disagree.

The most important part of the bike are contact points either between yourself and the bike or the bike and the road. Thats wheels, tires, pedals, cranks, chainrings and cassettes freewheels and so on. They are all moving parts that take stresses while riding.

There maybe little difference between the weight of say Ultergra and DuraAce pedals but the bearings, axels and other working parts will be very different, with either sealed bearings or ceramic offering much less roling resistance and in the grand scheme of things this is very important, it's not just a weight thing.

FarEast,
Maybe those reason will be very important for serious people someone like pro/elite/racer. But in my opinion, I used PD-7800 & PD-6620-G, I couldn't get any difference(100$ worth?) between of them. Maybe it's because I'm junior cyclist and still don't know about the bike. But, if I have to choose the component between top and middle range, I'll always prefer to have middle range. (Jesus, top component is too expensive!!) Anyway, it was not good manner to mention specific brand name and model. I apologize this.

Back
Top Bottom