What's new

Pedal/shoe combo for race bike

thomas

The Crank Engine
Nov 1, 2005
Dear members,

I am in need of new pairs of pedals and shoes (roadie). Do you have any recommendations or personal preferences?

I am currently using Shimano's M324 multi-purpose clipless pedal on my crossbike, as they are very convenient for urban rides. Now I am looking for the "real thing". :warau:

Any advice is appreciated. :)

Got it.....

thomas said:
Dear members,

I am in need of new pairs of pedals and shoes (roadie). Do you have any recommendations or personal preferences?

I am currently using Shimano's M324 multi-purpose clipless pedal on my crossbike, as they are very convenient for urban rides. Now I am looking for the "real thing". :warau:

Any advice is appreciated. :)
This is a good combination. Shimano PD-R540 pedals with Pearl Izumi shoes. Pedals use a good platform with the "Look" type cleat. Great for hill climbs and feel really stiff when riding! View attachment 23
Pedals are $89.99, just bought a pair!

Freeride39 said:
This is a good combination. Shimano PD-R540 pedals with Pearl Izumi shoes. Pedals use a good platform with the "Look" type cleat. Great for hill climbs and feel really stiff when riding!

Hey, thanks! The PD-R540 look nice. Only problem: Perl Izumi shoes are only available up to Euro size 46 (US 11). I need at least 12... :warau:

Oh, btw, I'll be soon riding a Trek too. :)

thomas said:
Hey, thanks! The PD-R540 look nice. Only problem: Perl Izumi shoes are only available up to Euro size 46 (US 11). I need at least 12... :warau:

Oh, btw, I'll be soon riding a Trek too. :)
Performance bike has the Vortex up to a size 14 US at $79.99 or EURO size 48cm

:)
Freeride39 said:
Pearl Izumi Vortex

They do look nice! Yet, only available in 46.

Update: cool! Will check out the Performance site... they might even be cheaper than here in Japan.

thomas said:
:)

They do look nice! Yet, only available in 46.

Update: cool! Will check out the Performance site... they might even be cheaper than here in Japan.
www.performancebike.com
Large Sizes. I will be in California next month for pass through vacation and I will be visiting the Performance shop, let me know and I could save you in sales tax and shipping

Hey, that would be really cool! Thank you so much for the offer. I just need to be ready by July 16th, lolol. Btw, hope you can join us!

thomas said:
Hey, that would be really cool! Thank you so much for the offer. I just need to be ready by July 16th, lolol. Btw, hope you can join us!

I won't be there in time to joing you guys this run! I get to Japan on 14 July and I would be rushing to make the tour.

Freeride39 said:
I won't be there in time to joing you guys this run! I get to Japan on 14 July and I would be rushing to make the tour.

Too bad! Anyhow, we have more plans: an endurance race probably in August and the Fuji Climb in August. Hope we have our TCC jerseys ready by summer!

Btw, is it possible for non-US citizens to visit Yokota AFB? Thinking of a TCC visit... :D

thomas said:
Btw, is it possible for non-US citizens to visit Yokota AFB? Thinking of a TCC visit... :D
Yes it is possible but I would have to meet all visitors at the main gate and sign you all in, you will need a passport or Japanese driver license with picture ID. We could hit the club for American style dinner and drinks.....fun times!

Freeride39 said:
Yes it is possible but I would have to meet all visitors at the main gate and sign you all in, you will need a passport or Japanese driver license with picture ID. We could hit the club for American style dinner and drinks.....fun times!
Sounds interesting!:D :) :D

That's sounds great! Perhaps we could drop by on our bikes and indulge in a real American dinner! Yummy! :)

RE: cycling shoes

The owner of an responsible, commuter/race-oriented LBS in Madison, WI recommends SiDi shoes. He's owned his pair for 10 years and bikes to work in them every day. Hopefully mine will last as long (if not out of facility, then for the cost). I use SPD cleats with MTB SiDi shoes that have treads so I can walk around in them. Since I bought them 10 months ago they have held up well. They come in different widths and many sizes; my feet are 45 (EUR), 2E (wide).

http://www.yellowjersey.org/scarpe.html

I agree SiDi makes some really good road shoes! EXCELLENT! I had a pair that got taken at a Triathlon change station and that's after I paid $159 USD for them. I hope the person who stole them has hot feet 24/7....LOL!

Freeride39 said:
I agree SiDi makes some really good road shoes! EXCELLENT! I had a pair that got taken at a Triathlon change station and that's after I paid $159 USD for them. I hope the person who stole them has hot feet 24/7....LOL!

Oooh, that is very unfortunate. Yeah, all you can hope is that the next person gets good mileage out of your gear.

I had a nice LED light stolen off my bike soon after I arrived here this year. I had assumed the bike was safe on campus, but on second thought that doesn't make much sense; it is a college campus, people steal things. I always strip all the easily detachable things off back in the U.S., and I do that here, too, despite the encumberance when shopping, etc.; it is a pain (money, time, frustration) to have to replace stolen items.

Just last week I had two of these LED lights stolen from my MTB and my crossbike, right in front of my building:

prod_thu_5033.jpg

Both bikes are parked in our entrance hall, so I assumed they'd be safe. I'm also removing all detachable parts from now on. Interestingly, the perpetrators were not interested in my tail LEDs.

Back
Top Bottom