What's new

Pedal Force Group Buy

Deej

Maximum Pace
Oct 13, 2007
Those of you looking for an inexpensive carbon-fiber frame may be interested in this link in Bike Forums:

http://bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=375840&highlight=pedalforce

It appears theTaiwanese direct-sales bike manufacturer is conducting a group buy in which it is offering its Tarmac look-alike RS2 frame (minus fork) for $450 (plus shipping) if at least 140 people sign up for an order by Jan. 31.

Here's the link to the company site: http://pedalforce.com/online/product_info.php?products_id=7548

EDIT: I cannot attest to the quality of these frames. But I do think they look pretty sweet. At that price, I'm thinking of ordering one and keeping it boxed up until my current bike is ready to move on to the great cycling path in the sky. :)

Deej

I was (am) very tempted by this; if I hadn't JUST bought a Pedal Force bike, I'd be in like Flynn.

Of course, as you say, it would be awful handy to have a spare frame on hand just in case... Right?

Tee hee. I was going to specifically mention that you could use this opportunity to add another Pedal Force to your stable. Have you ridden your new bike yet? If so, how does it compare to your Specialized, which I noticed you used in the recent race.

Deej

Yeah, I've been riding it quite a lot, 160 kms yesterday. I took the Specialized to the race because at 100 kms comfort is starting to be an issue, and I have that bike pretty well dialled in fit-wise. Plus, the Specialized has better components/wheels and is just as fast on the flats.

The Pedal Force is close to stupid light and is nice for sprinting up the hills, or sprinting anywhere, really. Biggest difference between it and the Specialized is that it invites you to stand up all the time, whereas the Specialized is always saying "no, sit down, relax, you don't really want to stand, do you?". It's my first bike of its type though, so I couldn't say how the Pedal Force brand compares to other CF bikes of similar geomtery...

The QS2 has a rap of being noodly on fast technical descents, but I haven't noticed yet. If "technical" means "curvy", I don't go very fast anyway :) Their other bikes, including this new one, are supposedly stiffer, if marginally heavier.

Thats a very tempting price! I have heard those bikes are pretty good!:bike:

Yeah, I've been riding it quite a lot, 160 kms yesterday. I took the Specialized to the race because at 100 kms comfort is starting to be an issue, and I have that bike pretty well dialled in fit-wise. Plus, the Specialized has better components/wheels and is just as fast on the flats.

The Pedal Force is close to stupid light and is nice for sprinting up the hills, or sprinting anywhere, really. Biggest difference between it and the Specialized is that it invites you to stand up all the time, whereas the Specialized is always saying "no, sit down, relax, you don't really want to stand, do you?". It's my first bike of its type though, so I couldn't say how the Pedal Force brand compares to other CF bikes of similar geomtery...

The QS2 has a rap of being noodly on fast technical descents, but I haven't noticed yet. If "technical" means "curvy", I don't go very fast anyway :) Their other bikes, including this new one, are supposedly stiffer, if marginally heavier.

Thanks for the comments, Phil. Man, I am really tempted to join the group buy. One concern I have is building the bike up. I know that bike shops really dislike it when people bring in bikes purchased online and say, "build 'er up, please." But doing the work at home would be good opportunity to learn some important skills, like replacing cables, etc. But the bottom bracket area makes me a little nervous. Gotta learn sometime, I guess.

Deej

Yeah, I was going to build it up myself if I ordered from them; the bit that slightly concerned me was cutting the steerer tube. Plus having to buy all the special tools. Still, as you say, building a bike up is a great way to learn how to maintain it. I'm currently trying to decide whether I want to try building a pair of wheels, which may or may not be a disaster... :eek:uch:

Steerer tube!

I forgot about the steerer tube. The prospect of cutting that gives me the heebie jeebies. I may just find a friendly bike shop and ask them to kindly work their magic. That is, assuming I buy the frame.

Deej

Good-looking bike

Somebody on Bike Forums posted a photoshopped image of what the RS2 would look like when built up. With the Shimano and Ksyriums, this is exactly how mine will look (If I actually decide to buy it.) I'm liking the white saddle and tape.

Dang, I have to figure out a way to pull this off without my wife killing me...:warau:

Anyone want to buy a 4-month-old size 56 Felt F75 frame in March? :)

Deej

Hehe, nice looking bike! I was mildly tempted, but the geometry specs says it has a very short head tube, which wouldn't work for me, so that helped to alleviate the temptation. Still, they seem to have group buys quite often, so there's always next time...

I'm going to bring the QS2 on Saturday by the way. It's a different bike, of course, but you can take it for a spin and see how it rides, if you like. You'll just have to ignore the cheapo wheels.

Just as tempting!!!

Guys,

enjoyed reading this thread, how about this a real tempter!!!

Last seasons (2007) Lampre Fondital Team Bikes
Full specs: Willier Le Roix, Dura Ace throughout, Fulcrum Race 1 wheels

http://www.teamlampre.com/shop/index_U.asp

For a bike that would cost in the region of 3500 GBP the asking price of 2200 Euro's is very tempting.

Greg

Hehe, nice looking bike! I was mildly tempted, but the geometry specs says it has a very short head tube, which wouldn't work for me, so that helped to alleviate the temptation. Still, they seem to have group buys quite often, so there's always next time...

I'm going to bring the QS2 on Saturday by the way. It's a different bike, of course, but you can take it for a spin and see how it rides, if you like. You'll just have to ignore the cheapo wheels.

Yeah, the short head tube is kind of a pain, but I suppose I can slap on a couple-twenty spacers to make it work. :)

Thanks for the offer to let me have a spin on your stealth machine, but I simply don't "do" cheapo wheels. If they ain't got a red spoke, I ain't riding it.:p

Totally kidding -- Thanks Phil, I appreciate the offer. Maybe if there's time, I can take it for a quick jaunt up and down the "block." You're of course welcome to try out my Felt to taste a little Ksyrium action...

Deej

Back
Top Bottom