What's new

PE-TCC Hotaka Loop

thomas

The Crank Engine
Nov 1, 2005
With the Giro de Hotaka most likely cancelled this year Tom and I contemplated about riding the Hotaka course next Saturday, October 17. We thought of taking an early train out to Numata from Ueno Sta. and return to Tokyo at night.

The course can be found here (thanks Philip!). We'd start and finish at Numata and wouldn't go up into the village.

Tom will try to drum up some support from Positivo Espresso. Any TCCers interested in that adventure?

giro_de_hotaka_profile.gif

Potential alteration

I really like this area. I have ridden all the way from Jomokogen (after a JCRC race) to Nikko, which took me through the upper half of your circle (Minakami and Katashina villages): http://www.mapmyride.com/route/jp/gunma/156124809880319899 . This is very nice any time of the year and must be particularly nice with koyo. Descending onto the two lakes above Nikko is also really worth it.

You might want to consider taking the shinkansen to Jomokogen instead of going to Numata. It is much faster, and you can start your ride at 8am. The loop takes you back to Jomokogen, but you might also want to consider cutting the lower part of the circle (as it is not quite as interesting and challenging) and cycling out over Konsei Toge at 1800m+ to Nikko and possibly on to Utsunomiya (for an easy ride home on the shinkansen). It's about 170km from Jomokogen to Utsunomiya.

I was going to suggest something similar, Thomas. Sounds great. Unfortunately, I can't make it on the 17th, darn it. The following weekend would work, though! :warau:

Deej

Ludwig, very interesting, that plan of yours! Thanks for the suggestion.

I was going to suggest something similar, Thomas. Sounds great. Unfortunately, I can't make it on the 17th, darn it. The following weekend would work, though! :warau:

Please do join, Deej. Tom might be busy on the 24th, so what about the 31st, gentlemen? Semine-toge will be closed for traffic on November 9.

overseas business trip has been moved forward; I'm afraid I cannot go to Hotaka tomorrow. Next weekend and likely the weekend thereafter, I won't be able to ride either...:eek:uch:

I am keen to do this

But I can only ride tomorrow (17th) or on the 31st. And I have to go into work on Nov 7th, so I would not have been able to do the races anyway if they went ahead.

If this ride is not on tomorrow, I will ride somewhere in Okutama.

Keren

Gentlemen, it looks as if that ride will not take place tomorrow. Keren, we can aim at the 31st if you want, perhaps Tom can make it too. Deej, what about you?

I am out next Saturday

Hi Thomas and all,

I regret to inform that I can't join this planned ride on Saturday. Just found out that have to go into work that afternoon, as I also have to do on the following Saturday Nov 7th. Looks like my aspirations of riding at Hotaka are over this year. :cry:

BTW: did anyone find out what actually happened to the race weekend?

Keren

Might be in on the 31st as well as this will be a good training ride in prep for the race at Saiko.

Back
Top Bottom