What's new

Passing through!

Roger

Crazy cyclist with too many bikes...
Dec 9, 2019
Hello TCC!

Thank you for welcoming me to your group. My girlfriend and I will be in Tokyo for far too short a time (9 hours, including getting in from and back out to Narita) on 25 December on our way to bike New Zealand. My girlfriend has been to Tokyo twice and loves it there and goes back for work. We would be honored to meet anyone from the club who might be free and are also interested in getting some TCC jerseys if possible.

If no one is free, which is very understandable considering the day, we would also be grateful if you had any suggestions for us - we will not be riding our bicycles in Tokyo, though - just getting around on foot or by public transportation.

Arigato!

9 hrs with transits from Narita leaves you with about 5-6 free hours.
If it were me I'd go and spend those few hours in a seedy love hotel. You can sleep on the plane as it's most likely a night flight to Aotearoa.Then if someone asks what did you do in Tokyo, Roger? You'll be able to simply answer Yes.
I have to work that day as it's not a holiday here. Maybe others have suggestions less carnal.

9 hrs with transits from Narita leaves you with about 5-6 free hours.
If it were me I'd go and spend those few hours in a seedy love hotel. You can sleep on the plane as it's most likely a night flight to Aotearoa.
I have to work that day as it's not a holiday here. Maybe others have suggestions less carnal.

9 hours is not much. Especially if that includes twice through security etc.

If you've never been, closer to Nariita than Tokyo itself, Disneyland would be the way to kill a few hours!

Andy

If it were me I'd go and spend those few hours in a seedy love hotel. You can sleep on the plane as it's most likely a night flight to Aotearoa.Then if someone asks what did you do in Tokyo, Roger? You'll be able to simply answer Yes.
Very nice use of the word "roger" there! I definitely commend you.

My GF loves Tokyo, but I'll float the seedy hotel idea to her. Otherwise a nice Knife shop would be great... but how to get it on the plane after?

9 hours is not much. Especially if that includes twice through security etc.

If you've never been, closer to Nariita than Tokyo itself, Disneyland would be the way to kill a few hours!
I know it's not nearly enough, fortunately only once through security, but we live in Paris so we have Disney on our doorstep already.

Personally I would ride from Narita if possible, but our bikes will still be in the belly of that big metal bird...

Anyone able to tell me how I can get some TCC jerseys, though?

Very nice use of the word "roger" there! I definitely commend you.
Thanks a mate is called Roger, I've had practice.

Otherwise a nice Knife shop would be great... but how to get it on the plane after?
Might be easier to post the knife home, after all you won't need it on vacation will you?

Thanks a mate is called Roger, I've had practice.

With him? Oh my... Imagine how that matches with my last name... Hobby.

Might be easier to post the knife home, after all you won't need it on vacation will you?

What if i want to cook? And I'm also Sicilian, so by law I always have to have a knife on me. Will have at least 3 on this trip, I think. 4 if I can figure how to get one through security.

What if i want to cook? And I'm also Sicilian, so by law I always have to have a knife on me. Will have at least 3 on this trip, I think. 4 if I can figure how to get one through security.
post it to new Zealand then. Are you camping and riding or staying in hotels and motels? Auckland to Invercargill please get off State Highway 1 as much as possible and save most of your time for the South Island. I'm jealous of your trip even though I've biked most of NZ myself. TCC jerseys unless someone wants to sell you one of theirs you may be out of luck.

post it to new Zealand then. Are you camping and riding or staying in hotels and motels? Auckland to Invercargill please get off State Highway 1 as much as possible and save most of your time for the South Island. I'm jealous of your trip even though I've biked most of NZ myself. TCC jerseys unless someone wants to sell you one of theirs you may be out of luck.
Mostly camping, though setting up a hotel in Auckland for our arrival and then again in Invercargill to pack up before we leave for wintery Europe. (if we can make it that far - else just fly out of Queenstown).

Yes, I know the TCC jersey is about as rare as hen's teeth, but still I'm hoping a Christmas miraacle may happen and I might find a jersey in time. Fortunately the new Garmin stuff should arrive before we leave so I don't think she'll be unhappy as the jersey would be a complete surprise.

Thanks for the road advice. We'll do our best to avoid the SH1(t) road. I figure 3-4 days to Wellington, then spend the remaining 2+ weeks on the South Island. Any must sees or avoids? At least it won't be like when I did Oz and everything wanted to kill us...

what are you riding? Riding Gravel okay?
3-4 days to Wellington is quite a pace. Are you both good doing 200+ kms a day for 3 days straight and setting up camps etc? The summer days are long but you will need to take SH1 in that case and the traffic can be almost as bad as in Australia but with narrower roads. South Island is more relaxed than the North however.

Gravel is fine - I've got a Surly Trucker Deluxe (oooooh... S&S couplers... mmmm...) and she has a Bianchi hybrid, bith with Marathon Plus tires, so light trails and gravel are fine.

It will be her first tour of over 100km/day, so we may need to aim more for 5-6 days? Stopping at a friend's farm for a day or two on the way, so I should have added that in to the calculation. His name is Simon too.

I was thinking about this route: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Auc...63a213b470!2m2!1d174.776236!2d-41.2864603!3e1

Noting she does have trouble with lots of cars and with downhills - though she's happy to climb all day.

nice choice of bikes.
yes after flying from Farnce through Japan your bodies will need about 4 or 5 days to get back to peak condition so dial back expectations.
Where is your mates farm as if it is not too far from Auckland that might be a good place to start your cycling from.?
The "National Forest" route through SH4 does not have a lot of variety of scenery and camping options are fewer than the SH1 through Taupo route. Once you get through Taihape the road flattens out and it's a mostly flat ride into Wellington but into Wellington you will have a good long descent towards the ferry terminal.

South Island I'd go from Picton up tp St Arnaurd and take the Rainbow Valley road to Hamner springs as it's a very scenic not too busy gravel road that is not known by many people. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_Road_(New_Zealand) see pic

. From Hamner you can go west and down the West Coast to Queenstown or East and down to QT that way. I7d stop at QT and fly to Milford Sound if you have the time. And do a bungy jump at Nevis Bluff, best jump in NZ.

Attachments

• 1482517718474.jpg
    1482517718474.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 2
nice choice of bikes.

I try ;-) It was that or my Cannondale T1000 - but that bike has already travelled the world while the Surly has seen only North and South America and Europe.

Where is your mates farm as if it is not too far from Auckland that might be a good place to start your cycling from.?

Ngaruawahia - 20km from Hailton, so that would be the day 1 ride.

The "National Forest" route through SH4 does not have a lot of variety of scenery and camping options are fewer than the SH1 through Taupo route.

Do you suggest we do the SH1 to Taihape then?

South Island I'd go from Picton up tp St Arnaurd and take the Rainbow Valley road to Hamner springs as it's a very scenic not too busy gravel road that is not known by many people. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_Road_(New_Zealand) see pic

Beauty!

And do a bungy jump at Nevis Bluff, best jump in NZ.

If she has a hard time going downhill on a bike, much like "if at first you don't succeed," I don't think bungee jumping is for her. Thanks for the suggestion, though! And anything really interesting between Qtown and Invercargill? I want us to have a great trip more than just "we rode thousands of kilometers from the north to the south".

I try ;-) It was that or my Cannondale T1000 - but that bike has already travelled the world while the Surly has seen only North and South America and Europe.
Rode a Cannondale T700 myself about 25 yrs ago. Good light well balanced tourer.

Ngaruawahia - 20km from Hailton, so that would be the day 1 ride.
a busy day by the time you get through customs unpacked bikes set up. You might want to make the next day a rest day depending on weather. and how much you enjoy Simon's company. Remember your girl is probably not so exerienced as you and you will want to start out gently or she may HATE the idea of daily cycling.

Do you suggest we do the SH1 to Taihape then?
I'd check the weather, if it looks good SH4 will have less traffic and a little less climbing and it's only a few KMs longer.
But when people want to travel quickly they take SH4. Ask you mate in Ngaruawahia.

If she has a hard time going downhill on a bike, much like "if at first you don't succeed," I don't think bungee jumping is for her. Thanks for the suggestion, though! And anything really interesting between Qtown and Invercargill? I want us to have a great trip more than just "we rode thousands of kilometers from the north to the south".
I think the best scenery is North of Queenstown either on the West Coast (rain forest) or up the centre (mountains and plains). You have two weeks in the SI so you can afford to take your time once you get there. My hometown is on the Southern Coast near Invercargill but that area is not worth a two day cycling trip IMO. Save the time for some hiking and savouring the very good Pinot Nior in Central Otago. You are going to be there in peak summer vacation time so the roads and facilities will be fill of families. Kiwis are however pretty friendly so I'm sure you'll have a great time no matter where you go. *Are you going to cycle around with 3-4 cooking knives?

two pics The mountain pass in the centre called Simon's Pass and the West Coast. Not so much snow in January howevermackenzie-news-simonspass.jpgWest-Coast-and-Glaciers-461704-1920px-16x7.jpg

Rode a Cannondale T700 myself about 25 yrs ago. Good light well balanced tourer.

I LOOOOVE my T1000 and have had it for about the same 25 years. I upgraded it from 8sp to 9sp, put the old 8sp on a T700 frame I had laying around from the days of working with Cannondale and gave it to a friend whose wife now hates me because he wants to go everywhere by bike - pretty handy right now during the Paris strikes if you ask me.

a busy day by the time you get through customs unpacked bikes set up. You might want to make the next day a rest day depending on weather. and how much you enjoy Simon's company. Remember your girl is probably not so exerienced as you and you will want to start out gently or she may HATE the idea of daily cycling.

We're not planning on riding on day 1. It's arrive, get to a hotel, set up the bikes, explore Auckland a bit, meet with folks from Keywin (check out their pedals if you don't know them) and Diner en Blanc Auckland, get a good night's sleep and then set out on the 27th or 28th depending on how we're feeling and what meetings I've managed to get through.

She's fortunately a lot better at riding now than when we met, and she already runs marathons, semis, race triathlons, etc., so she'll be able to keep up for short days of 125km. She also bikes every day to work and back, so I don't think it will be too hard an adjustment - especially with that scenery!

Those 2 pictures are glorious. I can't wait to pack up now... and looking forward to the pinot noir already. Thanks, Simon!

A shame, a shame... She didn't get her visa for NZ.

So instead we're off to South Africa, but I hope to make the trip work for 2020! Thanks everyone for all the advice and support, especially @kiwisimon , and if you come to Europe, let me know!

Back
Top Bottom