Paris Roubaix picks

Jan 14, 2007
Noda
japanichiban.com
I don't want Boonen to win, so my pick is for Cancellara and O'Grady to copy what Boonen did last week.
O'Grady can attack and escape with the break aways and Cancellara can be protected in the following peleton by his remaining team mates.
Should the peleton catch the break away, Cancellara to win.
Should the break aways succeed and may it rain buckets; O'Grady guts it out for a repeat of last year.

Ash

Warming-Up
Apr 23, 2006
shakujiidai, nerima ku, tokyo
mmmm... its not easy to pick a winner for this in the wet. I don't think Grady will be anywhere given the completely different weather. I think Hincapie (its his last chance at 34, Cancellara (has done a lot of rain riding in cyclecross and mountainbike) and maybe Thor Hoshovd (I like this guy, he is strong).

Boonen...well...I dunno. My gut says no.

And why am I in Sydney at the moment with no TV? Damn.... I told my wife to tape it though...

Ash

Warming-Up
Apr 23, 2006
yeah chazzer but thats bilingual as in Japanese/French right? thats the story on Jcom Plus and J sports I have anyway. I wish my French was better! I have just got used to listening in Japanese...Let me know if you know how to get an English broadcast. On the internet? I have had loads of trouble over the years though with Eurosport and the depressingly terrible cyclingtv.com...

Jan 14, 2007
Noda
japanichiban.com
Nail biter.... 3-way keirn sprint to finish the race off was exciting.
Boonen looks like he didn't break a sweat for the whole race.
O'Grady did his job and Cancellara lacked the zap to escape away from Boonen before it was too late.
Ballan played his cards well.
Hincapie had a chance till he punctured and he's looking stronger than he has over the last 2 or 3 years.
The dry conditions were not as hellish as last year.

106th Paris-Roubaix - 1.HC
France, April 13, 2008

Main Page Results & Report Complete Latest Start list Map

Live commentary by Bjorn Haake

16:56 CEST
Bell lap! Still Ballan ahead of Cancellara with Boonen in third.

16:56 CEST
Ballan starts the sprint on the straight. Can he hold?

16:59 CEST
Boonen comes out of the lipstream - can Cancellara go with him?

17:00 CEST
Boonen comes down from the embankment and puts several metres between himself and the other two!

17:00 CEST
Boonen wins it. He punches the air, as he crosses the line!

17:02 CEST
The average speed was over 43km/h, helped by a tailwind.

Cancellara was spent, a bit zig-zaggijng, but held of Ballan.

Maskaant dropped the others and finsihes fourth.
Provisional results

1 Tom Boonen (Bel) Quick Step
2 Fabian Cancellara (Swi) Team CSC
3 Alessandro Ballan (Ita) Lampre
4 Martyn Maaskant (Ned) Slipstream Chipotle - H30
5 Stuart O'Grady (Aus) Team CSC
6 Leif Hoste (Bel) Silence-Lotto
7 Stijn Devolder (Bel) Quick Step
8 Johan Van Summeren (Bel) Silence-Lotto
9 George Hincapie (USA) High Road
10 Fabio Baldato (Ita) Lampre

Ash

Warming-Up
Apr 23, 2006
well! what a great race and a terrific finish!

Must give it to Boonen (sorry Pete!) he really had the gas at the end, just rolled right over Ballan and Cancellara. I agree he looked VERY strong the whole race. Good on Hincapie too, but the cycling gods certainly don't seem to smile on him much...at least not in Roubaix.

And now lets move on to the Amstel Gold eh!:D

Jan 14, 2007
Noda
japanichiban.com
I actually like Tom a lot, and when I wish him bad luck it is in a sarcastic tone... I probably don't go for him as much as I'd like to as I had a dislike for Quick Step a while back...they were riding Pinarellos then... and I had a grudge against Pinarellosl.
I now like Pinarellos but my prejudice against Quick Step has stuck with me.

Phil

Maximum Pace
Great race, really enjoyed it... Fabian just didn't have the gas at the end. There was that one half-hearted attempt to break away about 15 km(?) to go, but Boonen was all over it in an instant. After that, it was Boonen's to lose... Felt sorry for Hoste trying to get the other guys to help chase, but really there was about zero chance O'Grady or Devolder were going to help reel in their own teammates...