Tech Panaracer Race L Evo2

Sibreen

Maximum Pace
Jul 23, 2010
Hanno, Saitama
Does anyone have any experience with this tyre?

I've been using the Race A this year and I've been quite happy with it, on the whole.
The Race L is lighter and less durable, but I'm interested in giving it a try.

theBlob

Bokeh master
Sep 28, 2011
The panaracers are quite light but I have found they pick up a lot of road sharps that stay in the tyre. I will have picked up to 10-12 small stone chips out of the tyre everytime I look at it closely. Thus I only use them on the front tyre where they are less likely to puncture from a stone working through.

bawbag

Maximum Pace
Mar 20, 2013
Tokyo
I've used the Type Ds and As, but I've also been eyeing the Ls for the stealth bike.
The As have been holding up well - they've lasted longer than the Ds, but perhaps that's down to the Ds being the original type and the As being the newer Evo 2 model.
What I found interesting is that the Type D protection is a belt covering the tread area, while the A version is an all-over style which includes the sidewalls. The Type L uses the belt as in the Type D, but the casing thickness is much thinner in order to reduce the weight.
In my experience, sidewall cuts are rare unless you ride rindos on a regular basis, you ride in the gutter like most of the commuters I see, or you just don't pay attention to what you're riding over. If you don't fall into any of those categories, you'd probably be alright with them.

bawbag

Maximum Pace
Mar 20, 2013
Tokyo
The panaracers are quite light but I have found they pick up a lot of road sharps that stay in the tyre. I will have picked up to 10-12 small stone chips out of the tyre everytime I look at it closely. Thus I only use them on the front tyre where they are less likely to puncture from a stone working through.
Ah yeah that's true. The tread is certainly quite grabby for road crap, but then the kevlar layer hasn't let me down yet. After wearing out one of the old Type Ds, I tested the kevlar layer with a drawing pin and a knife. The pin took some serious effort to push through the layer, and the knife required a good few slashes to fray the fabric. If the same protection layer is in the Ls, I can't see punctures being that big of a deal.

Sibreen

Maximum Pace
Jul 23, 2010
Hanno, Saitama
Thus I only use them on the front tyre
What do you have on the rear?

The As have ... lasted longer than the Ds
How many kms have you on your Race As?
The Type L uses the belt as in the Type D
Good to know. Thanks.

A lot of my riding is on rindos, and I've found the tyres cut easily. But, they also feel "sticky" on the descents which gives me confidence, especially when riding after dark. They're also pretty comfortable in 25mm.
The rear has 3100km and it's already done. The front also has 3100km but is in pretty rude health. My tentative plan is to get a Race L, stick it on the front, and move the Race A to the rear.

theBlob

Bokeh master
Sep 28, 2011
Gp4000 very nice tyre light and tough. But threads come off it and wrap around the hub and that is annoying. Good rear tyre but I prefer something a little softer on the front for the grip factor as well.