What's new

Pace line hand signals

There is an older thread somewhere on this topic.

Our club's signals.

http://www.seo-smd.com/asaren/aizu.htm

I ride with another club also that have a few variations...

did a Half fast ride once and was riding up the back of them a lot because there were near to no signals... :eek:

Not only signally but yelling out the signal helps even more for those who don't understand the hands...

Thanks, they not only look cool but are a good idea to use (for safety).

Sayin it is good too but sometimes it may be hard to hear.

did a Half fast ride once and was riding up the back of them a lot because there were near to no signals...
Oh dear. Did someone suggest to you that we are a proper bike club?

One thing I hate is 'signalitis' - many times riding with clubs especially it seems they are continually jibber jabbering with their hands. Pointing out insignificant road hazards, when to stop, etc. IMO handsignals are more important to the OTHER traffic! If you are riding in a group, then you should be already familiar how to ride with other riders and read their movements and watch out. Courtesy signals should be kept to a minimum so as not detract the riders from the task at hand (and their own attention).

For example -

1) What good is it for me to signal I'm suddenly stopping, well, when I actually need to stop? The last thing I want to do is lose my braking control and efficiency by signalling. IF there's a red light or whatever - its generally visible by EVERYONE.

2) At the same time - if I'm a lead rider, I will signal turn directions and significant road hazards. Also - I will generally signal to traffic that may be hazardous to the group -^ like 99% of the car drivers entering an intersection here. Basically a solid outstretched hand. And simple left, right (pointers). If I see an upcoming hazard like lane dividers, etc - then I'll either mark them or signal a slight 'push' from behind.

Conversely it is very irritating to me if the lead riders do not signal directional intentions or warnings. And even worse, ride like gutter hogs forcing the entire group into giving up any safety space or maneuvering room and then fill the gap with incessant, annoying sign language.

Anyway - if you're riding a real paceline, your bike's movement is the signal. Subtle changes to indicate a passthrough, etc. When you're on the rivet less than 2cm from the guy in front of you , the last thing you want is him trying to signal something. And , as a rider, your gaze should be beyond the wheel you're riding - it should be at least on the front wheel and hands of the guy your following, if not several of those. Then your overall perception is improved and you can make decisions based on a larger field of vision rather than a single hand.

One thing I hate is 'signalitis' - many times riding with clubs especially it seems they are continually jibber jabbering with their hands. Pointing out insignificant road hazards, when to stop, etc. IMO handsignals are more important to the OTHER traffic!

Very well put Tim :)! Some people are under a serious signalitis spell and continue making these whacky signs even to complete strangers even though they are basically cycling on their own and not in a pace line.

This can be rather irritating (and worrisome!) if you happen to be behind one of these which can occur frequently as you approach traffic lights on the Onekan. そこまでやらなくていいよ!まず自分の安全確保に集中して! "Appreciate the courtesy man but focus on your own safety first!" is what I usually tell (in a kind way :angel:) overzealous cyclists who do this to me.

I actually use the pulsing hand a lot on Cycle paths... .you get a lot of people riding on your tail and the last thing I want is someone tail ending me. It's happened before and the pulse warns people you are slowing down.

As for the over zealot.... if you are really riding in a pace line there is no need to point out obstacles.... the snake follows the leader so if you are avoiding a pot hole the whole group should be avoiding it by following the line.

A lot of the hand signals mentioned are actually from riding in the Peloton where there is no way of seeing the road a head due to the mass of riders and you rely on riders pointing to obstacles to avoind nasty pot holes and the likes and most of the warnings are verbal as the last thing you want to do is reduce braking and handling by removing the hands from the bars.

Oh dear. Did someone suggest to you that we are a proper bike club?

I figured that part out after somebody decided, 'hey, think I'll slam on my brakes and take a pic of Mt. Fuji over there...'.

After that I went to the front...and it was a battle them to stay at the front as there were 2 or 3 others that wanted that same safety position... :warau:

Back
Top Bottom