What's new

Outdoor Bike Storage

WhiskyAGoneGone

Cruising
Jun 2, 2014
Morning, all
I am about to move to a new place, where I will not have a convenient verandah to store the three bikes I currently own. However, I will have a 2m ish by 2m ish space outside, where I can store them, which regrettably is not covered. Does anyone have any recommendations/suggestions for appropriate bike storage? Inside is not an option, BTW. I did find this http://www.juicygarden.jp/item/1108.html but frankly would prefer to spend that much money on a new bike!

Standard plastic bike covers would work. If you buy motorcycle ones they are generally bigger and thicker and will do a better job of dealing with splash

Geez that website is one of the worst, it took me a whole minute of scrolling to finally find the price... (and it's a huge price).

Bike covers will do but they don't provide 100% protection, dust will still get blown in, humidity will do its work as well.
I think one could build a similar shed for 10-20% of the price, even at tokyu hands premium prices...

@WhiskyAGoneGone I was recently looking for a storage solution for my everyday bikes and found this

Amazon product ASIN
I decided that I wanted something a little more permanent so I have been building my own bike shed (finally finished it this morning) but I've seen a couple of people using the one I've linked to on Amazon and they seem ok. Obviously not the most secure, but if you get a good lock, some thick chain and a big block of concrete from a home centre, it should hopefully put a thief off.

@WhiskyAGoneGone I was recently looking for a storage solution for my everyday bikes and found this

Amazon product ASIN
I decided that I wanted something a little more permanent so I have been building my own bike shed (finally finished it this morning) but I've seen a couple of people using the one I've linked to on Amazon and they seem ok. Obviously not the most secure, but if you get a good lock, some thick chain and a big block of concrete from a home centre, it should hopefully put a thief off.
Thanks for both the replies, @leicaman, but unfortunately both of the icons just took me to Amazon's front page and no further. Would it be possible to give me the actual page URLs?
The 'build your own' solution also sounds a good one.

If you are renting, your landlord probably wont be happy with any structures on his property.
How expensive are the bikes? I personally wouldn't leave anything of value outside...
Stuff does go missing!

@leicaman, thanks, I can see both of them. The second one apparently gets bad reviews all round, though it is cheap. Your shed build is inspiring, though.
@zenbiker, it will be ours, so no problem with the landlord, though there is my better half to contend with. The bikes are not expensive ones, so I don't have many qualms about keeping them outside.

Here's a Chinese metal shed for US$128. At that price it will probably need the paint touching up regularly.

And a selection of Japanese metal sheds (mono-oki) that will probably look good for longer but cost appreciably more.

Here's a Chinese metal shed for US$128. At that price it will probably need the paint touching up regularly.

And a selection of Japanese metal sheds (mono-oki) that will probably look good for longer but cost appreciably more.

Thanks - appreciated.

Finally got moved and somewhat sorted out, and was able to convince the better half that @zenbiker has a point, and so one Minoura storage pole later, the bike's in the genkan.

We have a Japanese metal shed for various things. It's probably 20 years old, maybe more. The roof is rusting some (no leaks yet), and I don't think paint touchup over the years would have been worth the bother. Since the rest of it is still in fine working condition, one project, kind of back-burnered these days, is to build/add a second roof on top of what's there, which might add another ten years to its life. A little more overhang on the front, and more slope.

Back
Top Bottom