What's new

Help Out of towner

Utahn

Warming-Up
Sep 11, 2013
Hello all,

I am going to be arriving in Tokyo next Tuesday evening (9/17) and staying until Sunday night (9/22). I am bringing my pedals, shoes, and outfit with the hopes of being able to rent a decent bicycle that I can ride up Mt. Fuji and/or any other intriguing local climbs. Does anybody have any recommendations regarding where I can rent a "nice" bike?

If I am able to actually succeed in acquiring such a rental, does anybody have any interest in joining me? I can only offer to return the favor should you ever decide to ski or cycle in the Wasatch Mountains of Utah.

Thank you.

What size bike are you after, kinda like renting a suit, size is pretty important. Also (and just as important) what is your riding background and such? (personally) signing up to ride a long distance with a complete stranger is like a blind date,(only longer), it helps if you know a little about the person. Good luck.
Oh and welcome to TCC.

Kiwisimon,

Thank you for the welcome. I ride a 58 cm frame.

As for my riding background, I have lived at high altitude in the mountains of New Mexico and currently in Utah and prefer long climbs. I recently returned from cycling in the French Alps after having climbed many of the famous climbs of the Tour (Alpe d'Huez, Col du Telegraphe, Col du Galibier, Col du Glandon, Col du Madeleine, Col de Jeux Plan, and Col del la Colombiere). I also traveled to northern Italy last fall and climbed the Mortirolo, the Monte Zoncolan, Passo Gavia, Passo di Stelvio, and rode the Sella Ronda. I don't regularly time myself, however, I do know that I rode the Col de Telegraphe followed immediately by the Col du Galibier (7,400 vertical feet approximately) in about 2 hours and 20 minutes and completed the Alpe d'Huez in well under an hour. I regularly ride about 3,500 vertical feet every other day and have never raced a day in my life. I am pretty miserable on flat roads.

Hopefully that provides a more complete picture of my unidimensional riding style!

Hmm, I'll have to check if TimeTraveller is done with our 58. If so - maybe you can rent that. I'll make a note to add another 58 to my secret rental fleet. Just how 'well' under an hour did you do Alp d Huez? My best times (in my 20's) were in the mid 50's and recently I just did it in an hour. I guess that's ok considering Greg Lemond's time was about 48min ...

Here's My Pick -

- Pete's Classic 'Best of the North'
- My 'Handful of Hills'
- Josh's 3x3 Lake Route

GSAstuto,

I estimate mid 50s given that I noted the time on the dashboard as I was getting out of the car to get ready for the ride and then asked what time it was shortly after I finished. I should have probably used the word "comfortably" rather than "well" under an hour as I really am not sure and I am extremely unlikely to have been close to as fast as Greg LeMond.

I appreciate you looking into a way for me to rent something while I am out there. Please let me know what your research uncovers.

Also, thank you very much for the maps of the rides that you think will appeal to me. It is clearly going to be difficult for me to become accustomed to seeing Japanese characters on road signs. Hopefully the numbers will suffice.

Hmm, I'll have to check if TimeTraveller is done with our 58.

GSAstuto, I should have my bike issue resolved soon so it would be no problem for me to return the 58 for Utahn's use. I could bring it by on Monday or Tuesday. I will PM you soon to make arrangements.

@Utahn, I hope that you have a great time riding in Japan!

Great! @Utahn - PM me if you are still interested. I'll need to reconfig the bike a bit, but it will be suitable for your needs.

Looks like the 58 will be available after Monday. How about this? If you beat 18min on Wada I'll refund the rental fee?

I suggest the Three Sisters route - as that gets you the Wada climb from a nice 50min or so warm up the river.

@Utahn There is a lovely climb starting from a train station called Enzan, about 2hrs out of tokyo by train, easy to arrive by 8am. I think the station is at 400m, the climb is 35km/2400m+. Its up all the way with gorgeous gradations of foliage and temperature. The lower part is through vineyards and beautifully kept traditional farms. Always a lot of flowers and water gushing everywhere. Classic Alpine vibes. photo-11.JPG

jules

Jules,

That looks awesome. I guess that living at sea level with big mountains nearby puts a lot of vertical climbing at your disposal.

Thanks.

I'm looking forward to your ride reports as an out of towner. Make sure you have some cash and your contact details in case you get lost. Have fun and ride safe.

I might be riding up some mountains to the West of Tokyo on Thursday if you are interested. Most likely in the area of the second route posted by GSAstuto above.

kiwisimon,

I'll let you know how they go. After some of the research that I have done, it looks like I have a lot to which I can look forward. Most of all, I can't wait to breathe that thick sea level air!

Does anybody have a recommendation regarding lodging in Shinjuku that is reasonably clean and safe and will allow me to store my locally rented bicycle? Any advice would be much appreciated.

All,

Thank you for the generous provision of information and warm welcome. I was able to get two epic days of cycling in during my trip. Thank you to GrantT and Pedro in particular for showing me the mountains NW of Tokyo.

Sincerely,
Utahn

Back
Top Bottom