Otsuki 13.5. Doable???

leicaman

Maximum Pace
Sep 20, 2012
Asakadai, Saitama
I've been thinking of ways to challenge myself and looking back at the Otsuki 9.0 I did a few months back has got me thinking about pushing just that little bit more. When I talked with Tim (GSAstuto) he said when doing my 9.0, it would have been better doing one loop, then turning around and doing the loop in the opposite direction (I just did two loops anti-clockwise). I'm wondering whether I should give the Otsuki 13.5 a crack (one loop anti-clockwise, followed by a loop clockwise then another loop anti-clockwise thrown in for good measure). Is there anyone else out there as stupid as me that would like to give it a shot? Please note that it will be a really long day with 380km and over 10,000m of climbing.

GrantT

Maximum Pace
Oct 2, 2012
Setagaya
I would definitely be interested in joining for a 9.0 if I can. Pacing for the 9.0 hopefully I shouldn't be holding you up too much.

I tried to think of an impressive way of describing 10,000 metres of climbing: It's like climbing from sea level to the top of Arima Toge, then noticing Mount Everest in the distance and thinking "Why not?" Or doing Box Hill 44.6 times.

Edit: I will probably still be at Otsuki station recovering from the 9.0 when you come round to finish the victory lap. I mean, I definitely think it's doable for you. Maybe with proper planning and illegal stimulants for me too.

wexford

Maximum Pace
Jul 3, 2012
Tokyo
Still question... where's the '4.5' come from in that name? I'm planning to do the loop at least once this year. Definitely not three times unless Mike says its ok.

Malte

Maximum Pace
Sep 26, 2011
Tokyo
I've been thinking of ways to challenge myself and looking back at the Otsuki 9.0 I did a few months back has got me thinking about pushing just that little bit more. When I talked with Tim (GSAstuto) he said when doing my 9.0, it would have been better doing one loop, then turning around and doing the loop in the opposite direction (I just did two loops anti-clockwise). I'm wondering whether I should give the Otsuki 13.5 a crack (one loop anti-clockwise, followed by a loop clockwise then another loop anti-clockwise thrown in for good measure). Is there anyone else out there as stupid as me that would like to give it a shot? Please note that it will be a really long day with 380km and over 10,000m of climbing.
Sasago-toge is closed because of a landslide on the north side (been there last weekend). The complete road is washed away ~50 meters - they are already start fixing it but it involves some climbing (with your bike not on the bike) so you definitely don't want to do that in the dark.