What's new

Help Open Water advice

Tanki

Maximum Pace
Aug 7, 2014
If you are in the know please chip in. What's the gen with neoprene swim suits? When is there not an issue with water temperature in Shonan? What is the best sun bloc option in and on the water? Anything else I should consider?
In the water I will be swimming, on the water paddling an open top kayak.

For sun block Safe Sea can be used in and out the water, and is supposed to prevent jelly fish stings.
For water temperature, it depends on the person, but anything above 20°C should be fine for long periods in the water without a wet suit. You can check daily water temps together with wind speed/direction (because waves) here (also here). If it gets too windy/choppy races will be cancelled, since it just gets too dangerous.
What's the gen with neoprene swim suits?
"gen"?
Neoprene suits are required for triathlon but not for open water swimming, generally. You should check for each race. They keep you warm (too warm if water temps are high enough), and are also very buoyant, so you float higher and have less drag in the water. i.e., speed increase of maybe 10%. I don't have one, but was recommended BlueSeventy as a decent brand that wouldn't break the bank.
You also need a brightly coloured swim hat for visibility. Rubber is best. For training in the ocean, it's also a good idea to have one of these floats (link). It trails behind as you swim, helps if you need to rest, and has a large pocket for water/food/flare gun (not a flare gun).

The biggest difference with open water swimming and pool swimming is that you have to keep checking where you are going, because no lanes. Every few strokes really. Best to get some practice in before doing a race, though not essential.

On the WindGuru site, anything with a star is good news for wind surfers, bad news for open water swimmers.

Edit: You can also put your phone and wallet in those floats, so you don't have to leave on the beach or wherever. I would put valuables in a couple of good zip lock bags before putting them in the float though, just in case.

Last edited:
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/gen

@GrantT cheers for the links.
The biggest difference with open water swimming and pool swimming is that you have to keep checking where you are going, because no lanes. Every few strokes really. Best to get some practice in before doing a race, though not essential.
LOL, I have done my share of tacking and jibing.
Being a very white man I am still in the market for swimwear that will protect me from the sun. Apart from the neoprene are there options that won't cause overheating?

Pocket sails are not really allowed in open water swimming.
But, if you are not that bothered about drag, maybe pairing a rash guard "ラッシュ ガード" with whatever long shorts you have and sun screen for exposed bits is the best option.

Pocket sails are not really allowed in open water swimming.
But, if you are not that bothered about drag, maybe pairing a rash guard "ラッシュ ガード" with whatever long shorts you have and sun screen for exposed bits is the best option.
That is my snorkelling apparel. Will have to do. I couldn't find the Islam-Tankini in my size on amazon.

Back
Top Bottom