Online Stores

TimKendall

Speeding Up
Dec 28, 2009
Nagoya
Just a quickie...
If you were the CEO of CRC or Wiggle, what would you do to improve the service here in Japan, or in the rest of Asia?
Yes, it is very good already, but I am thinking along the lines of 'Being Global, and Acting Locally'

Sep 2, 2009
Without wanting to go into any real detail, Wiggle have spent a great deal of time and energy fine tuning their operations in Japan.

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
From a CEO perspective this is counterproductive. First off, these megatailers are PE invested which means the ONLY thing they CARE about is return on investment. Increasing 'service' costs money which reduces net profits which in turn lowers their returns. Essentially they are just monitoring sales and making sure they don't end up with too much churn. Any 'fine tuning' they do is directed toward this function. However they can easily offset this by aggressive purchasing and contracting blocking tactics. Also, due the large capital, they can buyout certain stocks which can give them monopolistic hold on future assets.

Wanna 'Be Global and Act Local' ? Then buy your stuff from Wiggle AND local dealers. Just remember, the people you meet on the way up the mountain are the same people you might meet on the way down. (Or if you are stranded with a flat). And some of those people just might be the staff, owners or loyal customers of local bike shops whom you have neglected.

Just a quickie...
If you were the CEO of CRC or Wiggle, what would you do to improve the service here in Japan, or in the rest of Asia?
Yes, it is very good already, but I am thinking along the lines of 'Being Global, and Acting Locally'

kpykc

Speeding Up
Jun 13, 2007
Tokyo
So far, I think they are doing what they can. It's not like they are breaking their backs to improve the service for Japan, true, but there is really not much they can do by staying abroad.

Wiggle had thoughts about opening a shop or two in Tokyo a year or two ago, but I don't see any progress in this area so far.

If they did open a shop here, I think they would still profit more than by doing only online sales, because of their direct connections with the manufacturers (which they seem to have established already), and it would profit them more than most of the Japanese LBS who deal with distributors.
But then again, if they opened a shop here, then maybe this direct competition would push some big Japanese retailers (like Y's) to seek deals with manufacturers as well, but it's not what Wiggle would love..so going local in Japan might hurt them more in the future.

Sep 2, 2009
It was not as simple as that, but there was definitely talk of increased local presence. This was met with a less than friendly response, for a variety of reasons.

Sikochi

Maximum Pace
Sep 13, 2010
Kochi
As regards Wiggle, then less repetitive emails highlighting the same offers. And, stop sending emails for offers that in their terms and conditions, specifically exclude Japan: that`s just poor quality control/system management.

CRC - emails in English as well as Japanese would help

But let`s face it, not as if either of those companies are monitoring this site...

Edit:
Whilst I`m at it, one of the things they can do, is actually not do anything. The more these UK companies try and expand, the more the distributors in the foreign countries whose market(s) they are targetting might kick up a fuss, and pressurise the manufacturers to limit the markets/territories in which the UK companies can sell.

Phil

Maximum Pace
Edit:
Whilst I`m at it, one of the things they can do, is actually not do anything. The more these UK companies try and expand, the more the distributors in the foreign countries whose market(s) they are targetting might kick up a fuss, and pressurise the manufacturers to limit the markets/territories in which the UK companies can sell.
Yeah, been thinking this for a while, ever since I started seeing local Japanese riders wearing dhb brand clothing...