What's new

Help Online route navigation

Marwin

Cruising
Jul 7, 2007
Does anyone know of an online site where I can find available routes between locations so I can see information such as distance and elevation. My bike is not equipped with a bicycle navigator yet so I wanted to search online, print the map, and bring it with me for the ride. :bike: :(

Online, no. But I picked up a couple 1:250,000 foldout maps last week to look at Aomori and Akita (¥800 each). Distance is very easy to judge/measure, and there are actually a good number of elevations marked--pretty much whenever a road goes over a pass.

These foldouts don't have the resolution and the smaller roads that I'd like for detailed planning, that can come later either via google or more complete map books. (Actually, I've looked at some areas on google, and that part of the country seems empty enough that even when zooming in a lot, there aren't really any (or many) smaller roads.)

Thanks.
By some luck this morning, while I was on a short train ride to the city, I saw an ad for Navitime. When I got home, i went to their website and found there was an english route guide (although the Japanese version offered more features). I can just type in my departure point and arrival point then the site plots the route right off (not cycling route though but a driving route) like a car navigator. http://www.navitime.co.jp/en/

Map my ride www.mapmyride.com won't plot the ride automatically but you can do it manually and then print out what you need.

Map my ride www.mapmyride.com won't plot the ride automatically but you can do it manually and then print out what you need.

Actually, the new version still in beta will plot automatically. You can then drag and drop to adjust the route.

The only disadvantage of the beta version over the standard is that while you get the altitude profile, it does not tell you how much climbing you need to do in total - which is a critical number missing...

Back
Top Bottom