What's new

Ome Temple Loop

Deej

Maximum Pace
Oct 13, 2007
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to share a route that I've done a couple of times recently. It starts and ends at Ome Station, and packs in a lot of climbing and cruising through quiet, lush areas. It passes two temples and often follows rivers and streams. I really like it.

There is slightly over 2,000 meters of climbing over 90 kilometers. Ride With GPS puts the climbing at 5,000 meters, so you can use that number when talking about the ride afterward. :)

There are plenty of opportunities to get drinks, including ice-cold water that comes out of a pipe at the start of the (very steep toward the end) climb at around the 23km mark (Takayama).

At the first temple, Nenogongen-Tenryuji, there apears to be an udon shop, though I've never tried it. The climb to this temple is gorgeous. And the valley through which you descend from the temple is also beautiful.

There are lockers at Ome Station, so you have the option of taking the train out. For me, the ride is 180km round-trip from my home in Setagaya.

Maybe we can muster up a big group ride one of these weekends!

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/107076963

Cheers!

Deej

This is indeed a nice loop, I know it well! And I agree, the valley between #299 and #70/#53 is particularly quiet and beautiful! For the record, you can definitely get udon and soba at Nenogongentenryuji-jinja.

Ah, good to know the noodles are ready and waiting. Now that I think about it, maybe this is the shop you've mentioned before.

7452314384_f0f3f64e9c.jpg

Have you ever done the climb from 299 to the Greenline? The last kilometer is insane in the membrane. We used to call it Kaoburi, but I believe it's actually Takayama.

Deej

Thanks for sharing, nice loop indeed!

I also want to try the loop in CW direction, plus include the crazy slope up to Tohto-Hanno CC.

I can't tell from the photo if that's the one at Nenogongentenryu-ji Jinja or not. It looks a little different, but it could just be the angle. I've most frequently referenced the soba shops up on the Green Line just west of Kaouburi-toge. As for the climb from #299, the one you have mapped is Steve Tallon's favorite. I've mostly done the actual Kaouburi climb that is straight up from about the 14km mark on your map. Regarding steep stuff, as per your route the first part of the descent just after Nenogongentenryu-ji Jinja is steep as balls!! I've climbed it, but never descended it. I hope it's bone dry, otherwise I'd think it be rather hairy!

Ha ha! Nice, Tom.

The climb to Takedera is a 1.5km little jag that gets pretty steep. The temple is very distinctive looking -- full of funky statues and carvings. Worth a visit, for sure.

The udon shop in the photo is at Nenogongen.

I've descended that super-steep bit in the rain. And, yes, it was a trifle spooky.

It's funny that you saw a snake on your ride there. I've seen snakes two different times while riding in that area. Maybe there are a lot of snakes in that valley for some reason?

not just plenty of snakes but also - believe it or not - UNAGI !! Amamezashi-toge in the area is famous for spotting unagi eel crawling...(never seen one though :confused:)

Thanks for sharing, nice loop indeed!

I also want to try the loop in CW direction, plus include the crazy slope up to Tohto-Hanno CC.

My pleasure. I know there are a lot of people out there who want to ride, but don't know many good routes, so I thought I put this one up.

And, yeah, I'd like to try it clockwise someday, too. Either way, the climbing's good.

Looks great name the day?

Maybe on July 14, 15 or 16 -- the three-day holiday that's coming up. I *may* be able to go on July 8. Let's start planning!

OK, based upon your recommendation, it's been official placed on my "To Do" list!

Cool. It's almost as if Takedera has some kind of Polynesian ties. The last time I walked around the compound, there was a Tiki vibe in effect, with huts and totem-pole-looking things.

Very nice area indeed! I would love to join you guys:bike::bike::bike:
I can't make on 8th:eek:uch:, so hopefully during the three-day weekend.

Naomi

I am out for the long weekend but the 8th sounds good

I am up for the 8th.

Right now, it's looking more likely that I will be doing this ride on the long weekend -- July 14, 15, and 16. I'll pinpoint a day as the weekend approaches.

Naomi, it would be great to ride out there together again. As I'm sure you noticed, this route is similar to the one we did a few weeks ago, but adds a really beautiful portion of climbing on the return leg. This version is tougher but more scenic.

Alan, I hope you're keen that weekend, too! I miss hearing the whoosh of your Zipps. :)

Anthony and Kevin, it's high time we ride together again. Anthony, I know you can't do the ride on the long weekend, and Kevin, I know that you're free on the eighth, but family obligations might make that day impossible for me. Still, I may be able to swing both weekends in a row. I'll let you know my plans. Kevin, are you free on the long weekend?

Anyone else interested in this ride?

It gets a bit steep in places...

7460485550_d218fb7fee_z.jpg

Deej

Back
Top Bottom